Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ingredients and actual brewery details is not calorie counts and cancer warnings.

EU wide requirements are not rules made up by a peripheral market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

It is a completely different thing, and you are being disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

First & foremost: Beoir is calling for an amendment to EU Regulation 1169/2011. It's an EU Regulation. Any change would apply to ALL EU member states.

The thing we're arguing over here is an Ireland only law which impacts the sale of alcohol in Ireland only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

So what you're saying is: if someone wants to be informed they can use an app like My Fitness Pal? So no need for the labelling at all then!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭squonk

I speak for myself but might echo some of the sentiment on here in general. I love food and drink and trying new things and new combinations. I have my favourite craft beers and breweries but if there's someting new out there I'll give it a whirl. I'm not drinking to get out of my bin and subconsciously rate beers on level of drunkenness and how mouldy if any I feel the following day. Primarilly though I like to find good beer that tastes good and is better than others I've had. Generally I'll have one or two at the most watching a movie at the weekend or, if I get a new shipment, my curiosity will win out so I'll choose the smallest bottle or can with the least ABV for a quick road test if it's a school night. My point in all of this is that I know I'm taking on additional calories. I think if I was seriously looking to downsize I'd just stay off the beer as much as possible. I know balance is key and I have no issue in displaying calorific values if it's an EU wide thing but I think it's the wrong approach for what they're presumably trying to solve.

I get it, beer is fundamentally unhealthy if it's abused. Empty calories and all that. We all know this but it hasn't really solved the health issue. Saying a pint of Guinness has 240kCal isn't going to stop Johnny heading to the pub every evening and knocking back 4 or 5 like he's been doing for the last 20 years. Similarly a crod of lads out for a match or a get together aren't going to be that botherd either. Indeed, from what I've read here, the bar doesn't even have to display any of this.

I would agree with calorific values if bars and entertainment establishments had also to follow suit but given the hubub over price lists, I can't see that happening quietly. I don't even know if they display price lists these days. What this boils down to thogh is more stupid restrictions designed to drive people from off-licences and online alcohol shopping back into the pubs and I'm sorry but there is no way I'm abandoning my nice home setup to trek to the nearest craft place and pay over the top prices for something I could buy more cheaply online. Dont' get me wrong, those bars have their place and I enjoy them as well but there has to be a bit of realism here. The fact that this is actully passed into law at this point is shameful. There should have been a chance for input from citizens and interested groups in drafting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

No, that's not the case. Something being available on MyFitnessPal requires someone to have put the data in, accurately, in the first place. Someone can only do that if a producer has published the data.

If there's proper labelling for beer, the correct amounts can be added, and scanned, so you don't have to say '**** it' and enter "Beer" and get

Beer, 155 cal, 1.0 can/bottle (12 fl oz)

(what even is 12 fl oz?!) and instead you just scan the barcode and it'll give you

Smithwicks, 500ml, 218 cal, carbs: 18g, fat: 0g, protein: 2.3g

Sodium: 20mg, Calcium: 2%, Iron: 1%

(which is what I'm seeing for Smithwicks on MFP right now, and Diageo already publish the nutritional info for their beers on labels).

Likewise, I should be able to just scan my cans of Galway Bay, White Hag, Stiegl or Beavertown and have accurate info, rather than taking the generic "Beer" entry that some dude entered, doing some mental maths to work out what 12 fl oz is in ml (and did they mean UK or US fluid ounces?) so I can come up with a conversion for my 330, 440 or 500 ml can...

Seriously - knowing the nutritional info and ingredients of something I'm imbibing is not a big ask!

• Advertisement

What this boils down to thogh is more stupid restrictions designed to drive people from off-licences and online alcohol shopping back into the pubs and I'm sorry but there is no way I'm abandoning my nice home setup to trek to the nearest craft place and pay over the top prices for something I could buy more cheaply online.

I'm sorry, I honestly don't get your logic. How on earth is having nutritional info and ingredients on a beer (or wine, or spirits) label designed to stop you going to an offie or online and buying what you want?! It isn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This legislation will not compell producers to put the ingredients on the label.

It's like you only read your own posts.

And claiming that

wanting labels, in all EU countries to have ingredients and place of manafacture on them,

is the same as

labels , in Ireland only, having nutritional info (no need for ingredients) and health warnings

Really?

Are you OK?

They are entirety different things. Why would you claim that they are the same?

🙄 I'm grand, thanks.

I'm sorry, I honestly don't get your logic. How on earth is having kcal on a beer (or wine, or spirits) label designed to stop you going to an offie or online and buying what you want?! It isn't!

There. Happy now?

What?

How does what you just typed, supposedly in response to my post, have anything to do with what I said?

It's like you've proved my point. Despite quoting people, it appears that you either don't read or you fail to comprehend what people are saying and you just post random stuff!

The argument being made by some here is that this law, by only being applied in Ireland, may well limit the choice of less mainstream, imported products in Ireland.

You quoted my reply to squonk and took objection to it.

I modified that reply in response to your objection.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I'm going to have to bow out of our discussion. I fail to grasp any meaning from your posts. Perhaps I'm a little slow off the mark.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The Beer Market has reopened as The Christchurch Inn. Still run by Galway Bay but seems to be moving away from the solely craft beer focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Don't think GBB are involved, think Andy is flying Solo.

That's the rumour. Beer market lasted nearly a decade there so hopefully it doesn't return to it's spot of death reputation.

Are all of the GBB pubs selling Diageo and/or Heineken stuff now? I've seen Guinness taps now in the Beer Temple and Brewdock, and Heineken in the Gasworks.

Black sheep were still macro less last time I was in, maybe against the grain as well.

Gasworks has had macro for a few years at least. They shift a serious amount of it on match days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Will check out the Christchurch Inn.

Any news on Underdog opening date on Bolton St?

I think the Legal Eagle is also reopening soon.

Yeah, amazingly I've only ever managed to grace its doors once, ever, and that was earlier this year a after a wedding in the nearby civil registration office. I've passed it on match days, though, and very much a Heineken vibe to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I was always happy to have macro on tap. Use those lads to pay the bills and give you the GP to keep the craft stuff cheap, especially when you want to get an imperial stout or something in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭adaminho

We have equal macro/craft taps. It's great for people who want to drink craft but want to go out with their friends who don't like craft! You can get decent craft lagers that will placate a Heineken drinker but trying to get a lad who drinks Guinness to switch to craft!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The place I was talking about above was almost identical in size, clientele and beer range to Mother Macs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭adaminho

In fairness, the Wickham Tap copped on straight away and got a Guinness tap in after two weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

delete

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Was in the Salt house yesterday and they’ve a Guinness tap. Think they always did though. There were just too many coming I looking for it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Salt House absolutely did not always have a Guinness tap.

Talking to Paddy in The Christchurch Inn last night (it is very not a GBB house) and UnderDog 3 is a couple of weeks away from opening but no more than that.

Thought they had but I wasn’t in in ages. Tbh I think it’s a good development anyway. Groups would come in and there’d always be a few orders for Guinness with the barman trying to get them drinking one if the GBB stouts instead. Really it’s just easier I think offering one macro tap.

• Advertisement

If craft houses offer a tap to Diageo, maybe it'll stop Diageo trying to oust craft taps from regular pubs? One can hope, anyway!

Good news on Underdog, looking forward to it.

Advertisement