Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Is there a non-paywall version of this article?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,554 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Copy and paste any news article behind a paywall onto the site, if it isn’t archived by someone else already, it only takes a minute or two to get around the paywall.

https://archive.ph/tSz6M

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭hometruths

WCC's refusal for further planning for Cairn because Greystones is full is causing plenty of comment. IT reporting today that builders are saying it has national implications as other areas will also hit targets early.

Local councillor Derek Mitchell said the problem goes back to the method used to calculate the number of new homes needed to house the proposed population of Greystones/Delgany. He said there was an assumption that the number of people in each new home was 2.19, later amended to 2.5 people per house and this dictated the amount of houses needed, and the amount of land to be rezoned. But census figures showed a higher number of people per household at 2.79 people, he said, and so the population targets were reached before the anticipated number of new homes. He estimated the overall discrepancy at about 10 per cent.

This is significant because a lot of our housing demand projections are based on the assumption that we will be converging towards the European average household size of approx 2.2 - eg Ronan Lyons at 60k a year.

But the reason the Euro average is so much smaller is because they have a much higher proportion of their housing stock as 1/2 bed apartments.

Either the demand is for smaller household sizes and we need to adjust our type of building supply,

Or the demand is for larger households and we need to adjust our demand projections.

It doesn't make any sense to fulfil a demand for household size of 2.2 by building 3 bed semis.

The Greystones situation is a good example of why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Councils building nothing but social homes isnt going to solve our problems though.

Its homes for people on average salaries and above that are needed also (and should be prioritised), but the govt doesnt seem interested in that group.

Lets hope the private developers keep building so there is at least some new stock comimg online for people that work on median or average salaries.

• Advertisement

I was thinking the same in that this scenario can't be unique to Greystones.

Surely all objectors need to do now is dig out their local area plans and quote the population target for 2028.

I am sure there will be other towns or districts of cities that have already hit their number and even if they haven't, you could effectivley cap the number of new units that can be approved over the next 5 years, to ensure you stay under the population limits.

This ruling looks like gold dust to Nimby residents and councils.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

There are close to 80,000 households on HAP currently, costing the state over €1bn a year. Its both a colossal waste of money and a huge factor in the private rental sector being so over capacity currently.

Getting those households off of HAP, and into social housing, both saves the government money and helps create capacity in the private housing market. It should have been done years ago, but wasn't for ideological reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭suvigirl

It'll stop them buying the private homes and pushing up the prices, leaving private homes to be bought by private buyers.

I agree with the principal of moving HAP tenants to social housing, but i dont think its ever going to happen.

It would look poor from the govts perspective to shoehorn HAP tenants into exclusivley social housing estates.

And what if the tenants refused to move?

You cant disband HAP because there arent enough social homes to move the tenants into anyway, even if they did agree to transfer.

Therefore, the transition would have to be done on a phased & optional basis.

i think the other problem is that creating 100% social housing just leads to Ballymun type estates.

Councils should build socially mixed develepments.

Some cost rental homes, some shared ownership homes, some 100% ownership homes, some fully council rented homes etc.

So we get a mixed and diverse group of residents from different economic stratas.

That way, we can part the waves between social and private housing, as you say, but without ghettoising social housing estates in the process.

There is a preconception that social housing has to be for poor people.

But we are all paying for social housing via our taxes and it should be available to everyone.

The council should enable mixed social developments, in the same way it forces private developers to.

I guess the problem is that the councils are obsessed with clearing a "social housing list."

And only the low income folks ever get on that list.

We are doing it all wrong. Everyone that wants to be should be on that list, regardless of income and wealth.

Private rents and house prices would fall as a result of creating mixed council developments...which I think is great, but is probably the same reason why the govt will never take my approach!

Yes but shoving all HAP tenants into social housing is bad for society.

Councils shouldnt be interfering with the private market, i agree. But they should also be building houses for everyone, not just those on low and no income.

That way, we wont end up with expensive ghettos full of low income households.

• Advertisement

Yes they should be building affordable housing absolutely, but right now, in the short term they need to build social housing. Not all social housing ends up as ghettos!

A year or two building, taking social tenants out of private housing, then bang onto affordable and mixed housing estates, which is where I would like to see us end up.

?

To qualify for HAP you literally need to have applied to, and be on, the social housing list. HAP tenants are regularly, in large numbers, moved to social housing.

Social housing should absolutely be available for everyone, that system works very well in places like Vienna or Singapore. Much better than the private sector dominated rental market in most of the Anglosphere. But when theres a very limited amount of it (as in Ireland at present) then priority has to be given to those who need it the most (and who're already costing the state a fortune in HAP) - the poorest.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

Government get 50% back with tax on landlords. It’s far cheaper than financing and maintenance on social houses…..

They don't when the landlords are REITs, or anyone not tax resident in Ireland, or anyone not already in the top PAYE tax bracket. Only a very small percentage of landlords receiving HAP payments pay full tax on it.

Its absolutely not far cheaper. Instead of having hundreds of millions of euros of that €1bn (and rising) a year instantly drain out of Ireland into Canadian and German pension funds that money would be far better off being kept in the Irish economy, creating jobs and building assets the government would retain long term.

Why not just create mixed use from the start? why prioritise people on low incomes for housing and create a ghetto?

I would say very few(if any) large exclusivley social housing estates would be considered salubrious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,589 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's not as simple as it seems. HAP is only 65%ish of the budget. I only have the 2021figures.

The rest is made up of rent supplement and rent assistance. RA is paid in the case of domestic violence, where tenants are in serious health issues and is mainly a medium term support payment (I think the limit 1-2 years max except in exceptional circumstances). Rent Supplement is paid in emergency situation where a tenant becomes unemployed, death of a breadwinner where tenants need a deposit ( limited to one months rent) etc

RS and RA will always exist even if we houses all HAP tenants. However they skew the costs of HAP as many include it in the HAP cost when they should not be.

Working off the 2021 figures it works out at less than 7k/ household. It's extremely good value for the government. It hard to know if the cost is net of tenant contribution to LA I suspect it is.

Looking at the amount of arrears owed to LA by tenants it puts HAP into more perspective as they have huge control over tenant non payment. It's exceptional value to government and LA. It takes house maintenance, management, refurbishment and tenant non payment ( when last was a LA tenant evicted) costs away from government

Slava Ukrainii

Yes, social housing should be available for all and as HAP is for the private market, we could house some folks in their current place a little longer and prioritise new social housing for working people, especially key workers, whom cant afford private rents and may not qualify for HAP.

But as long as we can avoid the 100% social ghetto, i'm happy enough.

I just dont see the govt taking that approach though and I think they will continue down the path of housing the no and low paid, at the expense of the masses of moderatley paid folks.

I would also like to see social housing house shares, to reduce the list more quickly and maximise the social housing stock we have.

I agree that they should, but I think at the moment, there is serious pressure. Councils buying private housing, hap and rent allowance etc, if they could do that first, they don't need to fill estates with social housing, just get it done now, as a matter of urgency and leave some space in these estates for further affordable housing. It's really a crisis now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I disagree, psychologically an increase in mortgage payment from 1200 to say 2000 grand a month due to re fixing at these higher rates will cause serious knock on affects in our economy, money won't be spent elsewhere and the real economy that's already in a precarious situation will get far worse

• Registered Users Posts: 18,589 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What interest rate increase would you need for a mortgage to go from 1200 to 2k???????

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Murph3000

Interesting to see the ECB warning of "disorderly" declines in property prices across Europe.

They seem to be highlighting Countries with high proportions on variable rates for most immediate drops, including Portugal, Spain, Estonia, Latvia. The longer rates stay high, the bigger and more widespread impact will be.

But they also highlight areas where institutional investors have big positions, mainly Dublin, Paris, parts of Germany, Madrid and Lisbon. Already seeing investors flee the space and taking profits. Definitely not seeing new investors. There is risk free earnings out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

A refixing off a fixed rate of 2% got during those low rate times now would result in a mortgage going from 1200 to 1800, that's off the AIB switching calculator. If rates go a little further with the ECB then it would be closer to that 2000 mark, I don't care what anyone says that refixing rate even now is after tax 600 loss on disposable income.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭combat14

the money not being spent elsewhere is the exact intention of the multiple ecb rate rises ...

HAP is absolutely cheaper in the short term, thats why it was introduced - its the exact problem of Irish governments taking short term, inefficient solutions instead of longer term ones they think they won't see electoral benefit from (see also: large scale infrastructure projects). But the problem is its long term value (and its ineffectiveness).

HAP was €515mn by itself last year, for 59,258 households[1]. A cost closer to €9k per household. What is the yearly maintenance cost for someone in a local housing unit? I struggle to believe its over €9k per year, if you're calling this "extremely good value" in comparison.

The HAP cost is also a 45 per cent increase on the €354.6 million spent four years earlier in 2019. Its expanding rapidly, from an already hugely wasteful amount.

To quote the article below "“What you want it for is to bridge gaps and to create flexibility. Any public housing system requires HAP to be an element of it but the problem is the scale of our reliance on it,” -- A small amount of households on HAP would be useful/reasonable, say approx 10,000 households. But theres no excuse for almost 60,000 to be on it.

Imagine if 50,000 of those HAP households were in social housing instead, and the private rental market had access to 50,000 new units tomorrow. That would make an absolutely huge impact on the housing crisis in Ireland.

[1]https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/housing-planning/2023/06/05/record-515-million-paid-to-private-landlords-under-hap-scheme-last-year/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭combat14

wow so almost 60k houses are getting on average 9k per year in free housesing supports or almost 15k per year free support if on higher rate of tax

seems like an incredibly unsustainable model

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭J_1980

And where are these 60k houses coming from????

taken from private sector that won’t be built instead.

not changing anything.

also average construction costs of 350k, 60k* 350k * 3% financing = 630mm annual financing costs. HAP is actually cheaper as you only subsidise social housing tenants partly.

”cheap sociL housing” is a scam, there’s a reason why it was all sold off previously. At 3+% interest rates it’s massively money losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭DataDude

Looking at the recent CSO stats on wages and house prices. Given that house prices are now falling, and wages rising rapidly. On a pure price to income ratio, housing is now approaching 2018 levels of ‘affordability’. Wages up 24%. House prices up 29% since Q1 2018. Average mortgage rate in 2018 was 3.2% so a bit easier to service the debt back then than now to be fair.

Seems likely that wages continue to go up strongly and house prices stagnate or fall further in the short term. Could push us back to 2016/17 levels of price to income ratios or so which would be a really great outcome.

Think the focus on house prices in nominal terms is misguided. Even though there has been no massive drop in nominal prices, real prices are plummeting at present. Hopefully it continues, could lead to much more affordable housing without all the pain of negative equity for many.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-elcq/earningsandlabourcostsq42022finalq12023preliminaryestimates/

Interesting point on salaries rising, but I doubt it paints the whole picture at all. I know in my industry, several people have got raises, but these are mostly people who already own houses and were already in high paying jobs.

The average salary in Ireland is just over 44k!!. This seems incredibly low relative to the cost of housing (is this be right?). Especially low when we consider the cost of the mortgage now and the cost of food etc.

If anything, houses are more unaffordable then ever. In fact, the very reason houses are falling, is probably because they have become unaffordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭DataDude

All very anecdotal ‘my company’. Sure in mine it’s been the opposite 7.5%-9%+ increases for all non management staff. Less for execs etc.

We can only look at CSO stats as the measure of average income and they’re at up 24% since 2018. That is a fact. House prices are up 29%. That is also a fact. So on average we are getting back towards 2018 levels. Felt they were also a bit elevated so would be good to get back to around 2016, which purely arbitrarily ‘felt’ like a reasonable point for housing affordability. If we got back there I think that would be a great result. 2012/13 clearly never happening again.

Housing affordability is still terrible by historic standards but thankfully going in the right direction. I think it will continue.

Average income typically includes part time workers. Although it can also be ‘skewed’ by high earners. Per CSO average full time salary in 2020 was €49k. Roughly 4% per annum growth since then, so suspect average full time salary is now roughly €55k.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/average-full-time-salary-in-republic-nearly-49-000-1.4289348

• Advertisement

I pulled 44k from first google result. Who knows, both seem low to me.

Advertisement