Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Killian Spillane was not considered for Saturday as he is injured, ankle injury I believe. Jack O'Connor said this is in a number of interviews last week.

The Cliffords had a very long year with their club until January this and precious little time off from the League. That's even before their recent bereavement. That may catch up with 1 or both eventually.

Kerry never looked liked winning on Saturday from the off. Mayo had another gear they could go to at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Piskin

While the free against Dublin last year was outstanding other than that free he would be classed as anonymous in most games and was for 55 mins in that game. 2019 Final he showed steel in kicking 10 points but his overall game is not up to scratch. Also in that Dublin game last year he missed a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

He seems to have gone big on wights or something. Because he's just nt mobile anymore. He can hardly move at times. People are calling for him to be moved to midfield or the full forward line but i don't think he'smobile enough for either. As mad as it sounds i don't see where he fits in at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Team announced

I be getting worried about the longer term this year. We may be ok Saturday but we are back to three small men in the middle third. Paudie Clifford, Dara Moynihan and Paul Murphy. Cannot see us beating any of the big guns with those in the middle third.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

That’s probably the best team they have available and they should beat cork on Saturday all going well but agree with @Bass Reeves that middle eight is just not convincing at all.

That said, there is no standout team right now and it’s a very open championship. If Kerry get lads back in the coming weeks and find a bit of form who knows what is possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Disappointed with that lineup, happy enough with A Spillane coming in but P Murphy, D Moynihan & P Clifford add no height nor strength. For the long run thats if we are still in the running I fear for this team when the intensity levels will go up. While P Clifford can have some impact the other two are liabilities. Jack Barry should be dropped.

Paudie Clifford brings a lot to the team. He covers ground he carries ball he can do a lot of sh!t. But Moynihan and Murphy are just not good enough to start.

I disagree on Jack Barry. He makes a lot of blocking runs, especially for DC. DC gets 2 points off him every match.

That is the issue. Dan O Donohue is no longer an option. Graham Breen is completely off the boil as is O'Bealoigh. We should be starting Barry Dan, but we would have f@@k all in reserve. I would nearly drop DOC for him.

I taught we were going somewhere after last year but it's not looking positive

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

A few more weeks of training for O’Beaglaoich, Breen and Killian should help with depth even if they are not ready to start but the main thing is to try to find a settled team, get more football in to the legs and see if a few of the lads like Seanie can find their form. They were way off Mayo athletically two weeks ago and I think it was partly a case of two teams at different stages in their training cycle for the year.

theres a sort of a stale look to the team and the way they are playing... like i said before there doesnt seem to be the same buzz iin them this year... would bringing in someone new to the team maybe from the u20s give it a bit of freshness... paudie clifford was a breath of fresh air a couple of years ago when broke onto the team... need someone now again

• Advertisement

Why was Adrian taken off. It must be an injury. But we are lacking his physicality

Slava Ukrainii

We were very lucky today

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Hard to see them even making the final, never mind winning it. They look very tired

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Officer999

Why didn’t they rest the Clifford’s during the league??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Was that a penalty I don't think it was sean O S looked to be getting more into it, they just done enough, Cork put up a great battle which is nice to see. looking at Dublin I see an old team, great players and some of the best that ever played the game, not much between any of the top 5 or 6, Get us to croke Park and hopefully the experience of winning last year and the fact we have David Clifford might just get us over the line. But Galway and Mayo are the front runners for me, and could we see a Mayo v Galway final. Championship is only starting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

Another strange performance. Kerry were completely flat and look like a team lacking leaders. Sean O Shea started well in the Ff line but then disappeared from the game. Jack Barry worked his socks off and did well in that role.Diarmuid was poor and coughed up a lot of turnovers. Paudie had a lot of ball but did very little with it. Dara Moynihan extremely poor and probably our worst player.

Jason Foley was excellent and for me Man of the Match. Geaney like O Shea started well but then disappeared. David was average by his high standards. Gavin White played well.

Ruairi Murphy first sub on again is one that is really confusing me. I get that he is one for the future but I cannot see what he is contributing at this level that puts him ahead of O Brien, Brosnan etc. I’m not a Burns fan but even he is more effective as of now.

As of now it’s looking like the prelim quarter finals is where Kerry’s season will be ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,228 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They did

If I recall he didn't play until the Mayo game when they needed rescuing at half time.

I don't know if he played many minutes in the league.

The penalty was for a pull down during a goal scoring chance. Not sure if should have been given but it was and won the game for us.

We were very poor. Cork missed three scoreable frees in the 3rd quarter and there No 15 missed a handy score before half time. That aside from other misses.

Dara Moynihan would have been unlucky to receive a red card for that high tackle but he could have had. Nit sure why Rurai Murphy is becoming the first choice sub but he conceeded two handy turnovers that I think score were got off and he missed a point as well.

Croke Park is not going to save us unless we improve in leaps and bounds and it's hard to see where. We are conceeding a lot of yellow cards really cheap ones. We have too many problems IMO.

Too many physically light and small men in the middle third.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think it's a lack of hunger or mental fatigue, maybe cos it took so long to get that first AI. We should've/could've won in 2019,2020 and 2021.

The effort to get over the line has maybe drained them, lost their hunger.

We could do with a couple of young players to refresh the team but they don't seem to exist.

An exciting young forward would do wonders.

I think we'll lose to the first quality team we meet, no offense to Cork but they're a few players short of top class.

Jesus would love to see a kieran Donaghy type lad coming through the ranks apart from David Clifford we lack good ball winners inside and way too slow getting ball in to it and recycle it back and over, with DC and SOS there why don't they have more shots from outside the 40, and DC took a shot yesterday and it sailed over bar lovely score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭50HX

Statistically shots outside of the D have a lower scoring return, the dubs mastered this in the six a row

It's a sad reality of modern football Inc club that players are trained not to kick from 40 yards out

You are correct in that we have 2 excellent scorers from this distance & we should work more scoring positions for them

The game yestarday was dire to watch at times, imo the overuse of hand pass has destroyed the game as a spectacle, its called football, very few marks called in this years championship even

The catch & kick & accurate foot pass is dying out, super fit players capable of playing in a system that requires v little of the above skills is now the mainstay of all inter county teams

A sprinkling of v v talented players are pushed by the media to disguise this, clifford, con o callaghan, Shane walsh & rian o Neill.... be hard pushed to name 4 more true skillful top level players

Yesterday showed once more that some of the players are not up to it after years on the panel. That was a bad Cork team those players I am on about struggled against them.

gas to see Tomas o Se on the Sunday Game last night explaining how to beat the blanket defence.... pity he didnt impart this knowledge to his U20's before Sligo game.... i do wonder bout tomas.. is he really that interested in coaching...

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

Ryan

Tom Foley Beaglaoich

Murphy Morley White

DOC Barry

Adrian Paudie O’Brien

David Seanie Geaney

Ideally Barry and Murphy wouldn’t be starting but I think on current form Moynihan and Graham are bigger issues. Surely Mike Breen has to come into the equation as an option off the bench at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

I get the felling his coaching career will be like Darraghs...

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

What were his suggestions to beat the blanket defence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Where is the lad I forget his name played minor was an Irish champion dancerThomas was his first name great speed in that lad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Gael85

• Advertisement

Advertisement