Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I always felt Thomas Edison was a better inventor in fairness

Edison gained his fame and fortune not by inventing things himself, but rather by stealing and pilfering the ideas and inventions of others, and merely marketing them as his own....

Yeah, as someone who's had a mild interest in space and space travel since childhood, what SpaceX have achieved with the Falcon 9 & Falcon Heavy launch systems is nothing short of incredible... The rate at which they can launch payloads to orbit is simply astounding, with multiple same day launches... all at a fraction of the cost previously... then they started sending humans on the rockets, and again with what appears to be such ease.

The booster landings have become so mundane lately, in that it's such a regular occurance it's just expected to be a success now every time, so hardly interesting anymore, yet when they first started doing it, it seemed so incredible and futuristic.

Mostly driven and inspired by Musk, though I still think he's a massive Cee U Next Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I see Tesla UK knocked £4,400 of new MY inventory stock. Now available for £40,590. Ireland to follow suit in the next two weeks?

Edit: apparently they've also introduced a scrappage top up scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

Nobody knows, possibly, but I doubt it. The Model Y here is still cheaper than the discounted UK price. The discounted UK price converts to about €47k. Here €46.5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

Speaking of price drops......I'll be waiting for a serious price drop before drinking a Gigabier

Nearly 90 quid for 3 bottles....

• Advertisement

Yeah anyone who pays €30 for a 330ml bottle of beer needs their head examined…

but fools and their money……

And as long as there are fools out there to buy this sh1te (beer, the gin or whiskey or whatever it was in the decanter, sexy knickers etc….) Tesla will keep doing it…

the profit margin on this beer must be insane, so why not if there are folk gullible enough to bite…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,163 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yeah that's all well and good... Now if he managed electric powered space travel, that would be very impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Now, a bottle of Prime energy drink on the other hand. That would be worth it, I'd say 😁?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So my test drive of the plaid is tomorrow. Wonder what my posts on tuesday morning will be like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Something like this

"Lads I bought it and will have it delivered next week"

Then a few hours later

"Lads, what have I done"

Few hours later

"It will be grand, vroom vroom"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Correction to the last one -

"It'll be grand, angry microwave noises"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

Is that because your expecting it will take the weekend to get your face back in shape?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It 100 percent is. But let's be honest everything they've achieved is a credit to the engineer's. He's not one. No one seems to celebrate the team . They're overshadowed by this fella who paid 40 billion for a comment company and under a year devalued it by 60 percent. I've had enough of this richest man in the world is smart nonsense. It's blatantly not true.

Nearly guaranteed.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You can't make your product as volatile as this. It's still 40k plus which is alot of money for most people and people do expect to have some residual value in their vehicle so they can sell on in a few years. If tesla keep making their product values diminish so quickly people will buy elsewhere where the residuals still exist.

They can't perform this trick into perpetuity. Brands get names for themselves and people steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

To qualify you have to trade in a petrol/diesel valued at less than 2k i.e a banger. Also, trade-in has to have been registered in their name for at least three months. IMO this is the definition of scrappage in the dictionary as these bangers would most likely be taken off the road.

On the same topic Fiat announced a similar scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

It's exactly what the market needs, massive competition now, which we haven't seen in years, sick to my stomach of being robbed by the autogiants for the last decade.

Forecourts are already offering peanuts for trade-ins on VW, Nissan, Hyundai etc EV's now because of this, they don't want to be holding lemons when Tesla are fire saleing like this

That ID3 you bought for 40k last year, is worth at most 30k now if you can get a much superior Tesla M3 for less than 40k brand new. That 10k depreciation wont be coming back from the night rate leccy lol :), many EV owners are gonna get screwed in a few years come trade in time, they don't call them low hanging fruit for no reason :) You'd sell anything to that lot lol

I honestly love it, delighted to see the smugness knocked off the face of EV owners thinking it was a good idea to spend 42k on a little Hyundai Kona lol, a few hurt wallets and egos in the grand scheme to get affordable powerful EV's onto the streets is a good thing. Tesla just needs to get Model 2 and 1's out now, truly affordable cars

Last decade? Let's be fair. Cars have rocketed to 50k plus on the ev era. When only expensive models were that price in the ice era. Robbed ?... you can hardly accuse traditional manufacturers of robbery when you can get a dacia for 15-17k new

The jist of what I'm saying is Tesla are ruining their brand name with erratic behaviour and whilst they have their cult following. People will not be happy losing 40 percent of the value of their vehicle a month off the forecourt.

It's not sustainable, and I don't think it's disruption either its cash flow manipulation for stock market.the impact on other marques will be short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Lads Tesla have sold 250 model 3’s all year, and only 125 across every county outside Dublin. It’s literally in the noise level of Irish sales, but for whatever reason continues to get a massively disproportionate amount of column inches and Boardsie posts.

Tesla is a 1.5 model car company, at the very most.

if they were to announce a new mass market model this very night, you lads won’t see it in Dublin for at least a few years - so no matter what happens in the next few years, Tesla will only have an aging model Y to sell in Ireland.

talk of cybertrucks and roadsters and Semis and humanoid robots are just nonsense. You can’t buy them here, even if the Tesla website would make you think you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

Tesla have hurt a lot of dealers because of the huge price drops. I think for a while going forward the independent dealer network will be very reluctant to carry any tesla stock in fear of more price cuts thus will hurt brand awareness.

I think part of the problem with poor tesla sales is the lack of a showrooms. There should at least 5 showrooms spread throughout the Republic to give people the chance to test drive. They're holding on to a lot of secondhand stock which they seem unwilling to move at realistic prices yet, again it hurts brand awareness because people with lower incomes can't afford one.

Then you have widespread columns and forum posts about phantom braking and now no parking sensors, erratic wipers, poor build quality in earlier Fremont built models . I can completely understand how it would dissuade a lot of people.

VW may have inferior UI/app for their EVs but they are doing most other aspects very well.

I intend to drive the **** out of my model 3 for the next 10 years, hoping to reach 300,000kms and sell it on for maybe about a grand in 2033

I can do this regardless of the price of a new one in 10 years time so Elon can do what he wants to the price as far as I'm concerned

• Advertisement

Deliveries as well... The fact that I've to take a day off work to collect a car I've spent 40k on is a bit annoying... Made more annoying by last minute cancellations

So you got it? Or are deffo going for it??

Fair Play.

The thing about the VW UI is an bit overblown imho (don’t get me wrong, it’s a poor first attempt at an in-house UI) - but the wireless Apple CarPlay is seamless, so I rarely ever see the vw ui. It’s the best Apple CarPlay integration I’ve ever used. Hands down.

even the complaint about stroking the volume and temp sliders is silly really - you can easily just tap them and they’re super responsive, not sure why people stroke them instead. Most other stuff is set-and-forget too.

it’s just a personal experience over the past 2 years. if that’s the poorest aspect of the car, it’s doing pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

And yet asking prices for used M3s remain stubbornly high.

Intriguing concept. Because 10 year old 45 grand cars don't tend to sell for a grand today. E.g a 10 year old volvo would fetch near 10 grand. Because they don't have a lunatic at the helm. Most customers aren't like you and this will hurt the brand its not good. Its genuinely making me really consider my purchase of which is was also genuinely considering a Y towards second half of this year. I personally don't want my vehicle to be worth 1000 euro over that time frame tbh. I'm sure there are many other people who like me would be rightly annoyed at that. The residual helps purchase the next vehicle as it always has been the case. Its not throwaway cash for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Who is seriousaly thinking that a Tesla will be worth €1k after 10 years? Get a grip. The batteries alone will be worth a big multiple of that. Model S batteries are selling for about $1k on Ebay. A 2013 Model S 85 has 16 of them

I think the point they were making was simply that they didn’t care if the car was depreciated 100% after 10yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

You repeat this daily, maybe even hourly but the Model 3 was the 8th best selling car in the world in Q1. Outselling all European cars, are European car brands just all just noise? 🙄

Saloons are not a particularly popular form anymore. Even in Ireland the Model 3 had outsold all BMW, Audi saloons for the last few years.

• Advertisement

This exactly, I'm also assuming my mileage over those 10 years is going to be on the high side so assuming I won't get much for it... If I do then great!

Thanks... Was due to pick up on Tuesday and got told on Friday that won't be happening so rebooked for next week

So in short it's up to Tesla whether I get it or not

Advertisement