Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Depends on what the UK's intention are. I think the EU would be more than happy to help a British government move the UK from being a potentially hostile neighbour to a good one which would like some degree of alignment. It wouldn't be like Brexit where everything was treated as a zero sum game where compromise was equated with surrender.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Seems to me like there's an awful lot of projection and reinterpretation going on. Starmer simply said that Britain's future is outside the EU. Yep, that is (for the foreseeable future) nothing more than a statement of fact. Despite the headlines, there is nothing in what he said that amounts to a "pledge" or any other kind of promise.

Thanks to the misguided governance by the Tories, Britain is now outside the EU, and it will remain so for as long as the EU decides that that's the best place for it. No amount of Rejoinerism on the island will change that status, so there's little point in Starmer promising something he most definitely cannot deliver.

All things considered, I'm inclined to agree that the best thing for Britain in the short and medium term is to make the best of things as they are, in order to most effectively identify what needs to be changed and to then present an argument for such change on the basis of hard evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's about as controversial as Michael Martin saying Irelands future is outside the British Commonwealth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Brexit is a Sunk Cost now, that's the problem. There's clearly a resentment and growing sense the wrong decision was made, that's clear: but the fallacy dictates the effort, mental capital and actual capital required to rejoin would be immense; Sunk Cost forcing everyone to just try and keep pushing towards an imperfect normal. Might be an obvious thing to say but we're looking at another decade at least before interest even swings vaguely at a proper rejoin, maybe even a softer relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭yagan

The only way I can see a constitutional change happening is if England gets its own devolved parliament so that Westminster becomes separate to the assemblies of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

That new relationship would need a written constitution, even if Westminster rests on precedent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Economics101

Typically blunt assessment from Larry Summers:

Aslo on Pat Kenny's Newstalk show, someonr was referring to the effects of not being bound by some EU regulations: they can now import cheaper oranges from Egypt, but the spray used to treat the oranges (forbidden by EU) might be carcinogenic. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

Right but if the EU believe that Tories will simply undo it when they get to power then it is not worth the effort of negotiating a better deal. Even if the EU would prefer it. At some point they will want to believe that future governments won't exit out of the deal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The devolving of England does not need to be a single region. It would make more sense if England was divided into a number of regions of about 5 million citizens. This would give rise to about 10 regions.

Of course, it would be better if such devolution was backed by an overarching written constitution, preventing Westminster clawing back powers..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

@Sam Russell wrote "It would make more sense if England was divided into a number of regions of about 5 million citizens"

Would you expand on this, 'it would make more sense'?

I honestly cannot see why it would, except for purely local matters

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In terms of effectiveness, efficiency, accountability, etc, there's a debate to be had in any country about the proper distribution of powers and functions as between central, regional and local governments. So, if power is to be devolved from Westminster (UK) to England, as it has been to Scotland, Wales and NI, then a decision is requires as to whether that should be to a single English government (which would be much larger than the Scottish or Welsh governments and govern many more people) or to a number of governments, each of which governs a different area of England (and each of which would be more comparable in size to the Scottish or Welsh governments).

It's a legitimate and necessary debate and there are considerations which lean both ways. But in the context of the present thread - Brexit - it's a bit of a red herring. The EU generally doesn't interfere in Member State's constitutional structures; these are matters for the member states themselves, and member states can and do make widely different decisions about this. So there is no way that any future relationship between the UK and the EU — whether membership or some other relationship — will be dependent on the UK making any particular constitutional arrangements of this kind.

There's possibly a more indirect connection, though. How can the UK develop a healthier and more mature political culture which makes it less likely that that it will ever again be the kind of unstable, unreliable, untrustworthy state that it has been during the Brexit process? There are those who argue that constitutional reforms are necessary or desirable to foster a better political culture, and that equitable devolution arrangements which establish parity between the different parts of the UK are part of that. And in that context you could argue that a single English government would be better than several regional governments in England, or vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭flatty

I doubt the EU would have any objection to the UK rejoining the single market. It seems to me that this is the natural resting place of all this nastiness for a generation. The gammon can shout victory in the express, and the remainers will be happy to have freedom of movement restored. The UK will be substantially worse off than before the referendum, but substantially better off than currently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The reason, as I see it, is that if England were divided into approx 10 regions of about 5 million citizens each region would be of a comparable size to Scotland. So devolved powers could be identical for each region, counting Scotland as a region. Each region would be in control of, say, health, police, education, and the like. It would be important that all regions had identical powers, underscored by tight legislation that could not be ambushed by Westminster.

It is also self evident, that the various areas of England that would be considered a region are quite different from each other. They have different needs, and priorities, and would benefit from region control. There is already a SoS for NI, one for Scotland, one for Wales, but not one for England. Look up the 'West Lothian Question'.

This would remove Westminster from those matters that are devolved, and ring fence those powers. To me, it was ridiculous that the PM was speaking for England during the Covid, but not for Scotland, Wales, or NI. This diminishes the PM's authority (especially when it was a party matter - bring your own booze😉 ). Already, the Mayor for London speaks for London in some matters, but not all those that the First Minister for Scotland speaks on.

If they were to go for this level of devolution, they would be best served by a written constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

"I doubt the EU would have any objection to the UK rejoining the single market" /flatty

This is, I can assure you, NOT the case.

This will be seen as cherry picking and very incompatible with the EU's need to expand. The EU won't leave non EU members in a vacum.

the Balkan states, Moldova, even Georgia and of course Ukraine will need to transition into a full members.

The UK will not get any better conditions than other new members and differences will only be allowed, where this is in the clear interest of the EU.

It's a full EU membership - lock stock and barrel - plus likely some extra concessions e.g. No new A50, support for current EU agenda e.g. anti tax evasion, "Fit for 55", digital, energy ...

Michel Barnier said some months agor "The doors are open in Brussels... We all know the conditions".

These conditions are at least the "Copenhagen Criteria" as seen on joining day.

Alternative is the current TCA with small and rather insignificant mitigations.

The EU council now votes with unanimity (or decides with consensus = unanimity). England better understand there is nowhere close to al 27 votes for any "cherry picked" deal.

Lars 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Another Brexit benefit:

A post-Brexit deal struck by Boris Johnson could end up wiping out thousands of jobs in Leave-voting areas, ministers have been warned.

According to reports in the i, the former prime minister’s move to axe tariffs on imports of processed rice could decimate the British rice milling industry, which is thought to be worth up to a billion pounds.

The sector has already been dented by Brexit, losing nearly half of its exports to the EU since the UK left the single market two years ago.

Now the 11 mills and five factories producing ready-meals from imported basmati rice face ruin, if the UK bows to Indian pressure to lift tariffs on processed items, the industry says.

And the vast majority of them are in Leave-voting areas.

I'm not really sure what to say that has not been said hundreds of times already. At some point, the people who voted to leave are going to have to realise that these people are happily destroying their livelihoods and that this was all a colossal scam.

That's not the end of it:

Boris Johnson blundered into a crucial Brexit trade deal concession with Australia over a chaotic dinner with prime minister Scott Morrison at No 10, it was claimed today.

He was bounced into signing a disastrous post-Brexit agreement after the Australians seized on a schoolboy howler over meat import quotas during negotiations.

An Australian official made an excuse to go to the Downing Street loo, had Mr Johnson’s concession hurriedly drawn up into a formal agreement and took it back to No 10 where the then-PM signed it before the dinner with Mr Morrison ended.

To cap it all, Mr Johnson is said to have told the Australians he was doing it because he wanted to apologise to them for Britain joining the EU 50 years ago.

A furious Liz Truss, then international trade secretary, tried to unstitch the deal but was told by the gleeful Australians that her boss Mr Johnson had already “given away the kingdom”.

Yeah. The UK in the 21st century. It turns out that appointing people solely on the basis of birth to undertake crucial and difficult tasks is an appalling idea now as it was during the Crimean War.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

^^^ I'm probably more surprised that Truss understood the damage so quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

The SM worked nicely before Schengen was fully implemented. It still works nicely between non-Schengen EU members and between Schengen and non-Schengen EU members.

No need to for change here. It may be nice to have, but very far from need to have. The UK must learn not to expect any special treatment and especially not any special treatment that is in any way sweet or nice to the British. Such treatments are fully chargeable.

The UK can apply to JOIN all of the EU or be satisfied with the current TCA. The EU has moved on.

Lars 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Fascinating opinion poll : despite the Tories, Labour (!) and the right wing press lying about the negative impact of Brexit, it looks like their BS on the subject is not cutting through at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd argue with only 1 in 7 Brexiteer willing to vote differently that not cutting through...

I imagine those guys are still buying the Nigel Farage narrative that Brexit was a great idea *in principle* but that it has been badly implemented by the Tories (gets them off the hook for their vote in their own eyes I guess, rather than having to admit they messed up).

• Advertisement

I doubt it. If they were that gung ho for Farage, he would have 7 failed attempts at becoming an MP on record.

I put this down to a mix of sunken cost bias, an unwillingness to appear wrong in an increasingly polarised polity and a desire to let sleeping dogs lie.

But that's pretty much what I said. They're clinging to the idea that Brexit was a good idea 'in principle', just that the implementation of it was badly done (but even that puts them at variance with the Tories, Labour and the right wing press....those three cannot even bring themselves to admit that Brexit was botched, never mind it being a bad idea from the start).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

People will complain about Brexit in the same way they complain about Labour and Tories (or any of the big 2 in any country) but there is a difference between complaining and voting.

I still think a vote to rejoin tomorrow would lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,901 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

I think you meant that people would believe that Brexit could have been great whereas my take is that it's seen as a crap idea that's now been implemented after a lot of disruption and rancour.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The competing narrative between Brexiteers at the moment appears to be 'Brexit was a great idea, still is a great idea and is going well' and 'Brexit was a great idea, but has been badly implemented by the Tories with many unforeseen downsides'.

It seems no member of the Tory Party can say the second one in public and the right wing press are also extremely reluctant to go there (as it would mean criticising their Tory masters ahead of the next general election).

There is a third narrative, which is "Brexit was a bad idea, badly implemented". Obviously that's not part of the narrative between Brexiteers since anyone expressing this view is, by definition, not a Brexiteer.

But there may be a cohort of people who were Leavers in 2016, but who have now come around to this view. They may not be that voluble, since they may not wish to call attention to the mistake they made/the fact that they were duped. But they may be quite angry.

If the UK applies to join the EU, the default is that they would be required to commit to join the Schengen area — this is part of the acquis which all candidate members are expected to adopt. They could try to negotiate that away, but as you say the EU would not smile on UK exceptionalism, and I think the UK would have to consume a fair amount of their limited diplomatic and political capital to achieve this.

The other route back into into the SM for the UK, apart from rejoinin the EU, is to join EFTA. Joining the Schengen area is not a requirement to be in EFTA, but as it happens all four EFTA members are in the Schengen area, and I do not think they would be keen on having the EFTA-EU relationship complicated by having an EFTA member not in Schengen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

@Peregrinus wrote "The other route back into into the SM for the UK, apart from rejoinin the EU, is to join EFTA. Joining the Schengen area is not a requirement to be in EFTA, but as it happens all four EFTA members are in the Schengen area, and I do not think they would be keen on having the EFTA-EU relationship complicated by having an EFTA member not in Schengen."

I am not too sure it is as straight forward as that. Three of the four members of EFTA have access to the SM via the EEA agreement with the EU ( Norway , Lichtenstein and Iceland). Switzerland rejected the EEA agreement but has equivalent access vis bilateral agreements with the EU. There is no agreement that new members of EFTA would have immediate access to the EEA and therefore the SM. And while entry to Schengen might not be a requirement for EFTA membership , "freedom of movement" is a requirement for the EEA. In any event, the EU might not admit a member to the EEA unless they also accept Schengen.

The Single Market (SM) , for many countries, is the jewel in EU membership. The EU will not allow entry lightly. And they might not want to reward the UK with entry if it is perceived that this would be another example of UK 'cherry picking'.

• Advertisement

Nitpick: We need to distinguish between freedom of movement and the Schengen Agreement; they are not the same thing. Ireland does not participate in Schengen but is fully signed up to freedom of movement; the same was true of the UK before Brexit, and is currently true of Bulgaria, Romania and Cyprus (though they are committed to joining Schengen.

Of course if the UK wants to participate in the Single Market it must embrace freedom of movement; it's one of the fundamental elements of the SM. Single market without freedom of movement is a contradiction in terms. The question here is not whether the UK must accept FoM if it wishes to participate in the Single Market; that's a given. The question is whether it would underpin FoM by joining the Schengen Area.

Schengen membership is not an explicit requirement for participation in the European Economic Area, as you point out. But all non-EU states that participate in the EEA are Schengen members, and any state seeking to join the EEA by becoming an EU member state is expected to join Schengen. It's technically possible that the UK could join the EEA as a non-EU member state without joining Schengen, but it's a deal that no other state has, and the last thing the UK wants, or the EU will indulge, in the UK's rapprochement with Europe is any whiff of UK exceptionalism.

Advertisement