Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Yeah it was the smart decision, even it we were all sold on him. Hopefully get a defender on top of this and the squad looks great.

I hope the board have learned that we need to sign 1/2 quality players a year even if we win the CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Hopefully we dodge the mason mount transfer, never really rated him, he's not the midfielder we need.

Don't watch anything outside of Liverpool games so don't know much about most of the names we're being linked with, really we need 3 starting midfielders and competition at CB IF Matip leaves.

Hate to say it but if someone offered us 30m for Nunez now i'd bite their arm off. Hope he proves me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Agreed. If we do sign all three, it also shows that the money was actually there for Bellingham this summer but he would’ve been the only midfield signing if that was the case.

I think we’re making the right decision but it’s still a bit tough to accept that a world class midfielder wanted to join us and we let the opportunity slip by, and it’s probably because Fabinho has forgotten how to play football. If he remembers next season, I’ll have mixed feelings about him. 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I like Mount a lot, but totally agree that's not the position we need to be strengthening. it's deeper in midfield that our problems lay - we've a bit of depth in the attacking midfield area already. For his cost, it's not worth it, when we've gaping holes elsewhere.

Wouldn't agree on Nunez though - he's been a bit of a disappointment no doubt, but 30m would be an absolutely incredible steal for someone with his record over the past 2 years... even ignoring his form in Benfica, a goal every ~180 minutes in the league (and every 100 mins in the champions league) is a decent return for a first season, especially in such a disjointed mess of a team. He's probably a 45 million pound player, who cost us 65m pounds, so its reasonable people feel bad about him. But as a player, ignoring his price, he's a great wild card to have if a starting trio of Mo, Diaz, and Gakpo/Jota are struggling - it's pretty much exactly the change-up option we've been crying out for for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Two seasons ago we were hampered by a serious defensive injury crisis that was poorly managed and could have been alleviated by more shrewd transfer business that summer, a lot highlighted the poor cover we had at CB before that season started, the club neglected to do anything about it and suffered the consequences, also United were hampered by having Ole as manager but, still managed to finish above us.

This season we had no real excuse to finish below United, they were horrendous at the start of the season and we managed to lose to them which helped to kick start their season. The club chose not to strengthen midfield an obvious weak area full of injury prone players ( Thaigo, Keita and Ox) and youngsters and surprise, surprise all those injury prone players missed huge chucks of the season, so had to rely on out of form players in Henderson and Fabinho.

It's true that both seasons United finished above us we were horrendous, but, a lot of that was self inflicked and could have been better managed by both Klopp and the recruitment team. It's also true that United while no great shakes themselves have improved under Ten Hag and are likely to continue to improve under him. If we get recruitment right this summer I'd be confident we'd finish above United next season, but, I'm not too confident we'll get the recruitment right as we have made a lot of mistakes in recent seasons regarding neglecting obvious weak areas of the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

To be fair, those points were only made to counter the argument that we're still a better option than UTD. No one was saying UTD were world beaters, but as you just said, we were rubbish for both those seasons and there's no guarantee that we will be any better next year. Potential new players coming to the club will have to be convinced otherwise too. The gap between us and UTD is not what is was 3 years ago unfortunately!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Everton are letting him go cos he got found out when they played with a back 4. He'd be, at best, a replacement for Phillips. Who doesn't actually need replacing if you look at his game time in the last two years.

Very average player. No scope for improvement. Avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I agree in principle.

But we need another body I feel. Maybe if it was twinned with a better class CB as well.

On Mount, he hasn't featured nor been effective for some time. That, and I just don't think he's what we need in a Klopp middle three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Tbf Mount only was not playing because he wouldn't sign the new contract. The whole injury thing was a cover up. It was put out there that he was fit and firing in training but wouldn't make the match day squad because of an 'injury'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Mount looked promising earlier in his career but has plateaued big time imho.

Maybe a move to Utd might reignite things but I'd say if he wasn't English there wouldn't be half as much hype about him (and he wouldn't be demanding bonkers wages either)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

All the replies i'm seeing there are pretty positive about him? That nonsense by the initial twitter poster is best ignored, the most childish of outlooks. I can totally accept the argument that he's simply not good enough - but that sort of 'loyalty' stuff against a fella who simply did the right thing for his career is total cringe. "sold his soul to join Everton on loan"... christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Bottom of the barrel stuff indeed.

On him actually being an option. As a 4th choice who you wouldn't rely on often (6/7 league games, few in cups), or in a back 3 yes. Back 4 and playing any way regularly big no for me. He was poor for Everton.

Agree with you there. Phillips is very likely to go this summer, plus Matip might also go, so we do need to sign at least 1 if not 2 CBs, one elite level and one backup. As long as we sign an elite CB, adding Coady as a backup might not be a bad idea at all, he could definitely do a job in the EL and cup games, no real risk for that money, is a decent fella and seems to have good leadership qualities, should definitely be considered and not dismissed totally out of hand, obviously depends on if both Matip and Phillips leave and it would be the lowest of our priorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Phillips has made 8 appearances in two years. He doesn't need to be replaced. I'd sooner use a kid like van den Berg or Quansah than have a 30 year old collecting at least £30k per week to be 5th choice CB.

To be honest, I cannot believe we're even discussing this. Coady's nowhere near good enough, even as backup, and I don't think the club will touch him. If Matip or Gomez go, yes replace them, but not with Conor Coady, because he's terrible.

Why do people want players that failed at a club that scraped clear of relegation?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

I agree with that. No need to sign Coady as 5th choice. We have academy players who can take that role of emergency cover and carabao cup minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Robertson impressed at a club that got relegated. Coady couldn't even get in the pathetic 11 that Everton put out every week. Big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

... Managed by Frank Lampard. To be fair, no one could impress under him and not making the first 11 means nothing when they were selected based on Frank's vision. He was always decent at Wolves and typically solid against us (despite being a huge fan). That said I'd be hoping for better for LFC.

A few votes of no confidence in him to be fair. Not just Lampard. He's been let go by Wolves, and left out by Lampard and Dyche too.

He's just a terrible shout as a signing for Liverpool. Doesn't fit the CB profile that Klopp goes for. CBs need to be quick and physically imposing and good on the ball. Coady is ok on the ball. Would be shocking trying to defend 1v1 against pacy attackers which is where the Liverpool CBs tend to do a lot of their work.

Post edited by dmigsy on

I saw Wolves letting him go more as a case of not wanting to stand in the way of a club stalwart tbh.

I think Gomez and Matip need to leave. Assuming a better CB came in for spot 3, I would probably prefer Coady to anyone in the academy (no one specific just that they wouldn't be experienced).

He was let go by Wolves because he was on the bench in pre-season when they switched to 2 CBs instead of 3. They didn't fancy him in a two and he didn't want to sit on the bench.

Why do you see Gomez and Matip leaving? There's already a lot of churn in the squad this summer. Agree that Gomez has been poor for a good while but I'd say he'll be kept as backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I came on here to discover it has been a hive of activity since my last visit a few days ago only to discover that Conor Coady is the reason for the excitement. 🤣

Brendan Rodgers shipped Coady off to Huddersfield in 2014. The only reason to bring him back now is if we are in need of a player that has come through the club's academy system because he doesn't tick the boxes in any of the requirements to be a defender in Klopp's setup.

Coady is an old fashioned sweeper that would be good in a role for a team that is setup that way but we are not that team. Van Dijk and Matip can both carry the ball forward better than him. They can also be solid in a back four, something that he has struggled with through out his career.

Jorg Schmadtke is not going to lump us with Conor Coady. We need defenders that have great pace so we can play a high defensive line, they should also be able to fill in at the wide positions when needed.

There have been rumours of Matip wanting to move on since January. If the club signs two defenders then it's safe to assume that there will be at least one departure.

If Coady was sign it would only be as a backup, to possibly play in EL and cup games and maybe to close out some games. I wouldn't really expect him to play that often, as I expect us to sign another elite CB this summer. Unlikely to get a player of his experience for that money again, plus has a strong connection to the club. I doubt we will sign him, as a backup CB ( 5th choice) is the lowest priority this summer, but, I can see why it could happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Even as a back up its a terrible idea. As mentioned by others he hasn't got the ability. Even in our least pressure games we still have to try to play the same way. The back up still needs pace and the ability to play in a high line back 4.

Signing mediocre players with an exaggerated emotional connection to the club is what makes it terrible though. Especially English players. Eg Lambert. They know too much. It's too big a deal for them to play for Liverpool. It's not just stepping onto a bigger pitch, it's their families, their neighbourhoods, the media, everything is on them and their average ability gets crushed.

Give me Klavan everyday of the week for that role over any average English player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ah he hasn't he's at a basket case of a club last season, before that you'd wouldn't have been able to sign him. He'd be an excellent signing for us but we have to be realistic that the wages and overall deal with 1 year left would be high and better spent on cheaper continental options. Absolute pressing machine, Klopp would work great with him/.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Apart from the twitter poll what's the source of the Coady discussion.

If Juilan Wards final analysis is to recommend Coady then it's a good job he's going!

For the last few years we have only been on the look out for the 1 signing to add to the first 11 but the Journo's know that we now need to make at least 4 signings this summer so they are able to link everyone and anyone.

Good for the daily gossip but that's about all.

I'm happy to see the Mount link losing momentum. He could be Lallana mark II in terms of effort but I think we need more from a new midfielder.

• Advertisement

As I said I don't think we'll sign him anyway, so no need to worry about it, but, I don't think it would be as terrible an idea as you're saying. Hopefully we sign a decent CB this summer and won't need to worry about whoever is the 5th choice CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

This is all on Rebel, he has a lot to answer for! 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

There's no link it's harmless chit chat here, I doubt Jürgen will be looking for transfer tips from Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There is some talk in Germany that Nils Schmadatke (Jorg's son) is to take over a new role in the sporting director type set up at Gladbach.

By the sounds of things, Gladbach need some cash to reinvest into their squad.

This should strengthen Liverpool's hand if they do want to buy Manu Kone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I'll let Rebel take the day off.

Mane for 15m please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Honestly wouldn't say no. 2 year deal, some more depth to the attack. He won't be getting Salah money as if he expects it there will be no deal.

I wouldn't priotise it though. Get the 3 midfieldera sorted and an additional defender first.

I'm not sure we need more depth up front do we? 5 strong options as it is.

With his poor, and declining, form (6 good months in the last 3 years) I don't think we'd be offering anything like the terms he'd accept anyway... he's on a huge contract with Bayern, and will only leave for similar, so I'd say only really the state-owned clubs are likely. Wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle took a punt on him, or maybe PSG if Neymar does indeed leave.

Elsewhere, Romano pushing the Mac Allister thing as almost being done;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Imagine being fortunate enough that your team gets to the Cup Final, imagine being fortunate enough to get a ticket, imagine going to the shops to get this printed on your shirt for the day. What the actual f*<^

Thankfully the Met took it seriously and arrested him.

• Advertisement

I think he'll regret that! An army of people on Twitter trying to track down his name, address, job etc etc. Already arrested too.

Right so I know it's not being looked at but, Jota and Diaz could, maybe, somehow have lingering issues form their long term absences.

Nunez's ability to really impact is in question.

No real concerns with Gakpo.

Anyway....

I think Romano is a bit behind on the Mac Allister story. The media in Argentina reported that Mac Allister's father was travelling to London last Tuesday. On Friday, a member of the family said that the negotiations had been concluded and the only thing to be decided was the timing of the announcement. Mac Allister is meeting up with the Argentina squad next week and will be away until a week after the domestic transfer window opens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

Darwin’s goal per minute ratio was actually quite a bit better than Gakpo’s last season. For Liverpool I mean. Not counting the Dutch league.

Gakpo finished the season stronger but I think there’s a lot of recency bias going on here.

No way, an absolute terrible idea, he had 3 good months after Afcon before he left, but, was brutal for about 2 years before that, also hasn't done well at Bayern, would be on massive wages and is in his thirties, so we wouldn't be able to sell him on again, can't over emphasis what a bad idea it would be to bring him back. He was great for us in his prime, but he's well past it now. If he wasn't a former Liverpool player no one would even consider signing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

Fully agree, his best years are behind him, I’d like to remember the good years of Sadio!!

Every time I hear this, the period Mane was poor for us gets longer and longer.

I haven't checked that so I'll take your word for it.

Gakpo was much better in general play though. Really looks like he fits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'm a big fan of Mane, he was brilliant for us over many years, one of the critical cogs in our machine, and a big game player.

However, never go back. Sadio has left the building, and his time with us has gone. Look forward, not back. What next, Gini, Stevie G?

• Advertisement
Advertisement