Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,184 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Depending on what version of Windows you have there is a way of seeing a list of things that run at start up. Then you can untick a box and that should do it. Unfortunately I can't remember how it's done now but one of the more computer literate here will advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭ozmo

There are multiple places in windows that can start an app - that link is good- and should be ok for spotify - but some apps can get very sneaky where they hide.

There is an app called "Hijackthis" I use often - link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HijackThis

And it shows you a great many more.

“Roll it back”

• Yeah, don’t you know he put it in the start menu to purposefully annoy you 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

It's Windows 10. Thanks folks, I'll try those links. Ooh, I never thunk of that, Recode!! 😲 😁

• Advertisement

• 🤣🤣🤣 I set a few starts in my Windows initiation file and I’m too fookin lazy to remove them… your hubby is the same I guess!

• There’s tons of stuff I’m well able to do when I put my mind to it, absolutely tons, but when the head is wrecked with lethargy ignorance is the best energy-preserver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,369 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Old way:

Start - Run - msconfig (type this)

Under Startup tab, disable Spotify. You might see some other programs you don't need starting up too...

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,621 ✭✭✭✭looksee

De tick definitely does do plotten only to thick in de stew

Please, please explain your sig?

Might be something to do with 'the plot thickens' and also 'thickens the stew'. Clever use of words. Hope it's explained by its owner.

Yes I kind of got the plot thickens, but I couldn't get any further with it! Its a great sentence.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cobham

I would like to clear photos off my phone onto my laptop. How do I do it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The easiest way to move them is to connect a data cable to your phone and your laptop, then you open two "file explorer" windows; select the photos from the phone using the first window (you should see it from the menu on the left hand side, they're usually found under "DCIM"), cut them and paste them into a folder you've created in the second "file explorer" window. There are dozens of other ways, but I think this is one of the most straight forward ones. Watch out, though, because photos use a lot of space.

I'm glad I keep an eye on this thread, I've been using Bluetooth to send them to the computer, one by one!!! I wasn't able to keep up with them and now my phone is refusing to display my photos. Have I lost them? Thanks to Cobham for asking this question!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭sundodger5

I would also suggest use google drive or similar online storage they would then be safe and available from any device. Although if using Google photos they are already taken care of.

A wee issue someone might be able to help with. A few years back when viewing photos on a desktop PC I was able to see thumbnail images before opening them. Then I was able to click on previous and next when the images were opened. Now I cant see the thumbnails and I have to open each photo separately - no "next" option available. How can I go back to the way it was originally? Is there any free programme or app that allows the features?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭ozmo

I think that option is gone now in current windows - but you can right click on the empty space and select View\Large (or Medium) thumbnails.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭sundodger5

If you open the photo (double click) does it not open the default photo viewer/editor program? You should be able to view the pics in the current folder one at a time from in that.

Thank you Newhome. I tried to connect using the power cable but that just powered up the phone from the laptop ( useful reminder!). Yes like Jellybaby my phone was telling me it was nearly 'full'. I have quite a few video clips that are precious and probably best put elsewhere. In the end checking things out, it was a podcast app that was gobbling up a lot of space as it was automatically downloading episodes of subscribed podcasts. I did get some extra storage on the phone and hope things would smoothly store there but.... Yes I am guilty of attaching a photo from the phone to a gmail to myself and posting it to get onto laptop!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You have to select from the phone what you want to do when the cable is connected - you should be able to get an option for data transfer.

Not all of those connectors will move photos or other data, I have about three that will only charge, the one that will move data has now been tagged and put in a safe place! I do use the google thing to move pics but I don't find it very reliable, I'd rather use a cable.

Working away here....now to sort/delete etc but much easier on laptop. I am using the cable that came with the phone.

Yep, those are usually data cables, as opposed to just charging ones. If you ever need to get a cheapo replacement in the likes of Dealz, make sure it does state it's a *data* cable.

Post edited by New Home on

It would be very helpful if they said on them that they were data cables - I was under the impression that if they had the little trident thing on them they were data, but apparently not.

I know... that's why I go on the assumption that they aren't unless they say so (even though they might be.. :/ ). Mind you, I never noticed the trident thingy, must pay better attention.

Thanks for that. Tried it and the icon/thumbnail sizes change.

• Advertisement

Apologies, it does. I thought I had lost that feature sometime ago.

When I open any of the photo folders I have the photos are just listed as file names with no viewable thumbnails. However if I copy and paste photos from any folder to a new folder they then have thumbnails. Odd!

Advertisement