Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2022: 10% reduction in Roman Catholic numbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

There are indeed many right and wrong ways to conduct studies for sure. And I have seen so SO many done wrong over the years that I remain skeptical of any claims made without a citation. And even more so when.... having asked directly for citations.... the other person has continued to not provide any.

So if a claim is to be made by someone that religious people tend to live longer.... I would need to see which studies they particularly think they are referring to.... so I can check for myself what those studies ACTUALLY say. Otherwise the old adage applies of "That which is asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence".

So by all means, cite your source(s) here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Is there a point there or just a petulant dig? You asked a question and I answered it.

And to answer your question: yes, she was a wonderful teacher. And, based on the historical record, far safer to have teaching children than members of religious organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Once again you play the man and not the ball, why do differing opinions antagonise you so?

Yes I do have kids in school and yes there were problems with one teacher in particular who made nasty comments to my elder child for being opted out.

Congratulations on your being able to raise your children as you see fit without interference, all I ask is the same right. But you seem to think you know the realities of other people's lives when you don't have a breeze.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

You're still not over that joke I see 🤔 and for what purpose do you think the RCC is grimly hanging on to control of 90% of schools (which, of course, it does not fund in any way) other than to attempt to indoctrinate kids? Although it rarely works these days because it's not reinforced by the home and wider society. So it's a massive waste of time.

"Not doing your argument any favors" yada yada 🙄 We had exactly the same in 2015 and 2018 leading up to the referendums.

They were going to be lost, many posters here confidently predicted, because of "too in-your-face gays" and "shrill feminists". As if the people desiring change needed their speech to be approved by those implacably opposed. It was a wholly transparent attempt to ridicule opinion and silence people.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Absolutely. Religion has no place in education. I'd go so far as to say that faith is the opposite of education. Parents would still be free to indoctrinate their child into whatever nonsense they like at home or through Sunday Schools or the like. The classroom hours currently wasted on Religion could be better spent on any number of different subjects.

I'm curious as to what you see as the benefit of "competition between schools" by having them run by different bodies? A more centralised approach to education should lead to massive cost savings (economies of scale on procurement, standardised management systems etc.) freeing up budget to hire more teachers, more SNAs, invest in technology and equipment etc.

All children deserve the highest standard of education the state can provide. The only argument I can see for non standardised schools is a desire for one's own children to attend the "better" school. Even in a perfectly homogenous education system, those with the means and/or desire to boost their children's learning opportunities would still be able to pay for grinds, exam prep courses outside of the official curriculum so parental choice would still be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

There is not a 10% reduction in Roman Catholic numbers. There is only a 4.8% reduction in Roman Catholic numbers. The 10% figure is hugely growing population with natural increase and lots of immigration.

Schrodingers immigrant again I see. Not only is he sponging off the system while taking our jobs, he's both propping up the RCC every Sunday and boosting the non-religious numbers 🤣

Seriously though the natural population increase should be leading to more catholics not fewer. It's clear that just as they have drifted away from church marriages, more and more parents are not bringing their kids up in the religion they themselves were brought up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The last christening I was at, one of my best friends daughters, neither of her godparents were Catholic. Was funny, the godmother is definitely Protestant, the godfather is some version of church of England. Was a bit wierd and pointless apart from the party

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Apologies, I didn't actually read the second half of your post (where you asked for citations.)

This Harvard longitudinal studio was referenced a lot

This Ohio State University study took a different approach by looking at obituaries

Does Religion Stave Off the Grave? Religious Affiliation in One’s Obituary and Longevity - Laura E. Wallace, Rebecca Anthony, Christian M. End, Baldwin M. Way, 2019 (sagepub.com)

How the hell can they claim to tell someone's religious viewpoint from an obituary? Lots of non-religious people have religious funerals (sometimes against their explictly expressed wishes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its over once this nonsense is gone out of schools. End the catholic patronage of schools and it'll be gone overnight. My kids aren't baptized, won't make the sacraments and I don't want them in any religion classes. The bouncy castle catholics need to find some other way to show off their kids and money.

Would parents please wake up this and stop massaging their numbers, its 2023 the church serves no purpose anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Your opinions don't antagonize me in the least. I rarely get worked up by anything posted on Boards. If anything, I feel sympathy for somebody so consumed by hatred for an institution that has minimal impact on the lives of people in modern-day Ireland.

So one teacher made comments you deem inappropriate. You go talk to the principal, work through it, and re-affirm your desire that your child is opted-out. Or better still, don't send your child to a catholic-ethos school, assuming there is an alternative available in your community. Deal with it like an adult, instead of posting interminable, petulant rants online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

It's amazing how many people fail to understand the concept of a percentage point.

I didn't send my children to a catholic school 🙄 (well, the Church of Ireland does describe itself as "catholic and reformed"...)

You can say it has minimal impact on your life, fine. But it has a decidedly non-minimal impact on the lives of many other people and you have no right to attempt to dismiss their experiences or silence them.

The school dealt well with that incident but it was completely out of order that it happened in the first place, someone let religion take precedence over their professionalism and the interests of their pupils.

You may not actually be aware just how much heavy lifting the words "assuming there is an alternative available in your community" are doing.

Nobody should be forced to send their child to a school which indoctrinates.

You are free to stop reading my posts at any time you like. In fact you might be best advised to put me on ignore if you cannot prevent yourself from descending into antagonistic and abusive replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,918 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Every school indoctrinated.

With religious schhols you have a fairly good idea what the doctrine is.

In secular ones, it's often less clear. Some people assume humanism, but it's by no means guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

There is a vast difference between a religious doctrine and humanism.

Many Catholics are humanism, like john Paul 2. Humanism is not atheism or secularism. It is just a human centric view, which is kinda of fading now by posthumanism. There is nothing wrong with doctrine or indoctrination. We rely on it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

I think it's one of those urban legends clean living no drinking no sleeping around all that. You could have a smoker alcho outlive someone who is not. Obviously not the rule but still a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Both studies here, the second link for absolute sure though, prove quite well the point I was making. So it is a good one for you to have cited them here. Such reports do absolutely nothing to establish, in even the smallest way, any kind of ACTUAL link between religiosity and longevity. It is all correlation and nothing more.

Firstly, as the link notes, previous studies relied on "self reporting" which is not the highest standard in science. THIS report however manages to go one level worse than that. Which is that they looked for mentions of religiosity in obituaries. Two obvious problems should be very much obvious here. The first is that this is not EVEN "self reporting" but second hand self reporting of third parties after the fact. The second is that obituaries tend to be short and are not going to be good sources of actual information about a person. It is not clear to me why anyone would want to do a study where they intentionally go from one of the lowest forms of data collation and go "Lets see if we can find an even WORSE data source and run with that instead shall we???".

A third glaring problem is that there is no useful comparison here. If we truly wanted a good comparison of religious longevity versus lower religious longevity we would need to do it between countries and distinct areas. Doing it within smaller geographic areas gives less sound data. For example is the correlation of lower longevity related to their not being religious specifically, or their not being religious in a very religious area and thus being the "other" and the "outsider" for that reason? The study itself even notes this saying the effect of being non religious in areas of higher religiousity, skews the correlation!!!! That is a massively important piece of text in your link here!

However as I said in my previous post and have already said in this post, nothing about this study shows ANY link other than the merest of correlations between religiousity and longevity. It even notes itself that "Additionally, social integration and volunteerism partially mediated the religion–longevity relation." Which is something many of us would suspect anyway. Which is that it is not religion or religiosity in itself that is doing anything for longevity but in fact ANY kind of stable social interaction and integration. Something you can get anywhere, not just from religion. I have long suspected we have a lonliness and isolation crisis in modern society. Any study trying to link religiousity to longevity needs to account for that before it can be taken seriously, or as useful.

But again the original point I made in a previous posts stands here. If you establish nothing but a correlation between religion and longevity you can miss MANY of the possible/likely CAUSAL factors that can explain such things. For example if there is a tendency in older people to be religious, then that will automatically skew correlation figures to look like religious people tend to live longer. If being ACTIVELY religious (attendence and participation for example) is more the purview of those who have the time and health and resources to do so.... then they are already going to be people who live longer due to the health and stress benefits of their privilege. That skews correlations too. The list goes on. (As do I hehehe).

Thankfully the authors of the study were honest about much of this. I will give them that kudos at least! They note " First, our data are correlational in nature and only collected at one time point. As such, it is impossible to disentangle the direction of the effect: whether religious involvement increases longevity or healthier people tend to be more religious." and they note things that can negatively bias interpretation of that correlation that even I have to admit I did not think of. And they also honestly note how bad the data source of obituaries is. Double kudos here!

So yes your citations here really do very little to support the premise that religiousity leads to longevity! But your citation IS very good at explaining the points I was trying to make, even better than I was. So I strongly recommend it as an education tool here. Go into your own link there, scroll down to the sections titled "Limitations" and read it closely. It will tell you a LOT quite clearly. Things I have, over my years on this forum, tried myself to explain to people. I will be holding on to this link as an education tool on how NOT to interpret bad data, and make correlation errors. I thank you honestly for this one, as I had not seen it before. And I am genuine in that thanks, not just being snide in a "Gotcha" way.

Does living in moderation, regular meditation, not abusing substances and putting relationships at the centre of your life put in you in a good place to live longer? If so, religious people like Catholics are well placed to live longer as these adopt these values in a codified way that non religious don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

You appear to be picking holes in an argument that I never made. I said that religous people tend to live longer. The wording of that statement was intentionally phrased. I didn't make any claims about the root cause of it - after all it was an aside in a response about something else entirely.

The studies I supplied were supporting what I said....not what you seem to think I said.

You can spare me the explainer on how increased ice cream sales don't actually cause increased numbers of drownings.

Ah now, you can’t be that daft to even believe any of that.

Last time I checked, humanism doesn’t recriminations against gay people, women etc.

unless you have some magical examples handy? I won’t hold my breath

I think you mean many Catholics aren’t real Catholics.

Having a baby every year is the precise opposite of living in moderation. Not that most of the bouncy box-tickers agree with that.

None of the things you mention are necessary components of a way of life thar is based in a shared set of values and beliefs.

Well, having 1 or 2 kids isnt moderate either. It is an extreme situation brought on by very new ways of living.

• Advertisement

There is nothing extreme whatsoever about having one or two kids 🙄

Advertisement