Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phillip Schofield steps down from ITV after affair with "much younger male"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Quite probably? Hush money?

I'm sure you have proof here.

I presume you're not casting any untoward allegations without any facts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I didn't make a statement of fact. I offered an opinion as to the likely reason why we haven't heard anything from the other party, given how in demand his story would be and the price British newspapers are known to pay for such stories.

Schofield said in the BBC interview that he paid legal expenses for McGreevy. Why?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

A likely reason. Curious opinion.

So I can make rubbish up about you?

What on earth are you talking about.

He has neither come out in support of Schofield (if he feels everything was above board) or attacking Schofield (if he feels they were not).

Why? What's your explanation?

Why is Schofield paying for his legal expenses - as he stated in BBC interview?

I offered a possible explanation, one that is common in such cases; and which therefore in my opinion is the likely explanation here.

I did not make a statement of fact that it existed.

So if you are concerned about making rubbish it - don't make it up about other poster's posts.

NDAs are common in these scenarios in the entertainment industry. There is your 'clue'. It is entirely reasonable to discuss possibility that one exists in this case as an explanation for the silence from the other party.

How is that rubbish? You can't say.

Your offer no explanation yourself for this.

Nowhere did I admit my opinions were rubbish - an entirely bad faith accusation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭reclose

Do you think the media onslaught should continue?

What is an acceptable outcome for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I will always remember Philip as the lovely man who would sing the theme tune of Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds on BBC 1.... while over on RTE we had the excitement of a clock ticking away on screen.

At 4 years old, Philip had already taught me a valuable lesson.... Irish TV was mostly shyte.

For that alone, I salute him.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I will always remember Philip as the lovely man who would sing the theme tune of Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds on BBC 1.... while over on RTE we had the excitement of a clock ticking away on screen.

At 4 years old, Philip had already taught me a valuable lesson.... Irish TV was mostly shyte.

For that alone, I salute him.

The media onslaught should continue as long as Schofield keeps popping up in the media trying to defend his improper behaviour.

Schofields career dead for good or at least any role where he is in a position of responsibility wrt junior employees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'd say McGreevy was just very young and inexperienced.

I'd imagine he thought the relationship was a lot more serious than it actually was.

It appears PS was in his life from a young age, I'm guessing a "mate" before the sexual relationship started. So I think McGreevy can probably be forgiven for thinking the relationship was more than what it was. PS was in his circle for years. So you'd imagine mutual respect n all that.

For PS is seems like it was a fling.

It's a hard lesson to learn whether gay , straight or whatever, when a person is just not that into you.

This then playing out in the public domain for someone so young , when all they did was trust and fall for someone who was in their life from a young age. I have a lot of sympathy for.

The reality is PS should have had a lot more sense. If he wanted a young legal guy he should have just gone to the many gay bars and picked up a consenting adult there. However the way this has played out, it looks from the outside anyway that he wanted someone young and someone he could control. Which is not a good look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Meeting someone (maybe) when he was a child, and grooming children are very different.

We know he was a patron someplace the young lad was when he was 11, there is no reason to think they even met each other.

He clearly knew him online since he was 15, maybe he offered to help him get a start. There is no suggestion, so far I believe, that's relationship started before he began working on This Morning, when he was an adult.

So, really there's no evidence that Philip Schofield even knew him in the real world until he started working there.

The witch hunt is too much. Let's just leave the man now unless something actually bad comes out........

To clarify about contact in person:

He met him at the theatre group at age 15 when Schofield visited in his role as patron. Theres group photo pic online with both of them in it. The social media contact request from Schofield seemed to follow after that event.

Its covered in the Lime Goss timeline linked on the thread.

Yep, I'm in photos with people that I don't really know!

And yes he obviously did help him along in his career, after he was 15 helping him get a start, but there's no evidence that they had any relationship until he was working on This Morning, as far as I know.

I just think the witch hunt at this stage is too much. Just wait now till the investigation is done. And leave the poor lad at the center of it alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

I agree with your post ...when Schofield said in the BBC interview he said that he didn't think anyone knew about their laisons at the time and that's the way HE wanted it,and certainly not He had a boyfriend ...HE was losing control of his protégé actions over his love for Schofield..too blatant for Schofield ... and a orchestrated effort by Schofield and itv was to keep mcgreevy out of the limelight....but it was always going to be that mcgreevy would be a ticking timebomb if he felt let down by Schofield...man/woman scorned etc.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭bewareofthedog

That video is from 8 years ago I thought? That's what the person who filmed it said.

What age is he now?

People you dont really know who you then make contact with on social media afterwards???

Your description created the impression they hadnt met in person when Matthew was 15. They had met.

Seriously? I don't even follow much social media, I have never been on Facebook, I'm not on Twitter and even now I have people on Instagram, the only social media account I have, following me and looking for me to follow them. And I'm a nobody.

I imagine anyone in the public eye has to have social media & thousands of people following them.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭juno10353

PS had a fling with young man who was a fan of his from a young age. He flattered this fan by friending him, on Twitter, where they were in contact aged 15, before getting him work experience on his own show. How flattering and special wo a young fan. PS then organises /gifts an expensive 'film reel' featuring ITV studio and both himself and Holly. A reel which would cost thousands had the young fan had to try making without PS. Features him as elf on Christmas show. Has him onstage for award presentation. Starts a fling.... ends fling....Then has young man removed from show. Poor guy is special one day, dropped the next.

Young man very vulnerable afterwards needing support from other show teams.

Of course there is outrage.

PS set this young man up, then threw him aside... for what was no more than a fling for him.

Despicable

It was Schofield who made contact on social media according to Lime Goss.

More info here on the theatre group visit where apparently they spoke.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12131993/Schofields-lover-just-15-met-Schoolboy-asked-Phillip-job-Morning.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭juno10353

Phillip followed him! Not the other way around. Philip instigated the contact, when boy was 15!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,616 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Didn't Phil help him get on This Morning working and followed him on social media, Phil pulled strings especially for this chap, why him over others in the theatre group, Phil singled out one and his mate was helping facilitate "meet ups", ok to me it is hard not to be suss of the situation and can understand why others are

Post edited by JP Liz V1 on

He may have, but in this age of social media, the more followers the better right? How many followers did he have? Maybe this young man was one of hundreds of thousands, I dunno!

I would just be of the opinion that if there is a criminal aspect to the relationship, that the police will investigate.

Until then, step back, would be my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Folks making out this man, a grown adult is some shrinking violet, and Philip some nasty monster; ffs. They had a fling… end of. So what if they knew each other when the man was younger..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

If he wants the coverage to stop.....he needs to stop giving the tabloids etc material from car crash interviews. Keep a low profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

That’s the definition of bullying, justified by moral superiority.

How many genuine interviews has he done? I know one of them was a real cry for help.

That’s a desperately sad/broken man looking for it to stop.

to lay the blame on this wall to wall barrage of vitriol on him (doing an interview(s)) is way off. Even when completely quiet he has been getting slated day in day out.

No it isnt.

Your definition of morality includes permitting people to hire on condition the employee submit to them sexually.

You have stated this on the thread that you saw nothing wrong with such conduct.

So it is no wonder you leap to defend Schofield.

Is that bullying or sexual misconduct? Or both?

Presumably on the same basis employers should be allowed to bully employees in your warped moral universe.

Have you proof that PS hired this person on a condition that he gained sexual favours from him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

As such a high profile person...his private life must have been under a lot of press scrutiny ...a lot innuendo going back for years and years that suggested that he was into gay activities but absolutely no concrete evidence when they should have picture opportunities galore...he wasn't even phone bugged while other celebrities and members of royalty were...he certainly wouldn't have been kerb crawler or street cruiser material you'd think,his gay s@x dates must not have been too often....maybe it was a once off opportunity that he availed of with mcgreevy who was willing

• Advertisement

“Your definition of morality includes permitting people to hire on condition the employee submit to them sexually.“

I never said that, but I am not surprised that you decided to misinterpret it this way.

People make and take offers all the time. It’s up to both parties what they agree on. You just seem hellbent on trying to conjure up a salacious scenario to suit your narrative. But sure, knock yourself out.

Hold on a second.

As part of the offer you see nothing wrong morally or professionally with sex being expected?

A manager can hire person A over person B because one of them agrees to have sex with them?

Yes or no?

There is no misinterpretation. It is the implication of several posts you have made on this thread.

Feel free to clarify your position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

i don't really get what all the commotion is about all of this.. ??

I did not state that. I am stating if he did that it would be wrong morally and professionally if not legally.

Also if he hired someone because he was attracted to them and gave them preferment in terms of opportunities - because he wanted to be in a relationship or was in fact involved - that would also be wrong and abuse of position.

I was talking about mutual agreements between consenting individuals. If this involves a hiring/ staffing situation it’s for the employer to deal with but not with the idiotic public.

Feel free to create as many dramatic scenarios as you like.

Agreements that could include sex as part of job offer?

Yes or no?

It is the clear implication of what you have written. You are defending the moral and professional right of someone to hire on the basis of who is willing to have sex with them?

The relevance of this is the context of when you speak of morality and professional misconduct on this thread.

Why are you so hung up on other people’s sex lives? The agreement could be as simple as serving class A toasties to the leadership team because that’s your special skill.

Ever got a good reference or friendly word in for someone, and when the deal worked out they owed you one in return? The funny thing is that there is usually nothing to bind you to fulfilling this deal unless you want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I think this is what is leading me to believe that he really is mentally ill.

Cheese is the best dessert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

He's definitely spiralling but I think it's more to do with his lose of control than being actually mentally ill.

I don't think he can handle his squeaky clean image being found out as being fake and his lies are catching up with him. What a way for a 40 odd year career to end.

I do think it has turned into a witch hunt with the usual z listers coming out to tell "their story" and get the boot in.

However if this was another celeb PS would be sitting their Mr Squeaky clean clutching his pearls slating the other celeb , it's the hypocrisy that gets people's backs up. So there's a big case of reaping what you sow.

He's had one of the most dramatic falls from grace, so it is "interesting" to see how this will unfold.

I do think he'd be better served going off on holidays somewhere and laying low. The press will get bored. However giving interviews is just adding more fuel to the fire. The whole "if you're explaining you're losing". He needs to step away, let his legal team or whatever sort it and let the dust settle..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Some good points there- and also let’s not forget he was a “practicing heterosexual” with a wife and a few kids- casual homosexual sex as per George Michaells experience back in the day wouldn’t have kept that part of his life private for long, at least not in the UK.

He wanted his cake and eat it- that didn’t work out. I actually have some sympathy for him simply because within the media this is all about a “tarnished” brand of an ITV show as opposed to the human side of things.

If this experience has shown anything, it’s that people don’t matter as much as a corporate brand, no matter how compassionate or human that brand may appear to be.

It was a tough lesson to learn for Philip - he’s his own worst enemy right now and been that way for a while but if this really is the worst and end of the story, you know what, I think people will turn their “”venom” eventually away from him and more so towards ITV who are behaving appallingly trying to throw people to the wolves to save their corporate skin .

The only thing that might change that is if “young chap” gives his version of events -and if that doesn’t tally in a positive way with what Philip has said, then we ain’t seen nothing yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I think you’re very naive if you’re taking Philips interview at face value- there’s more strands to that interview than simply “look at me I’m a broken man now” - that’s a far too simplistic view - it’s a very carefully crafted PR exercise and if you can’t see that, then i have some magic beans for sale at a “one time only” knock down price- PM for details.

• Advertisement

Is there an example of him piling on, on another celebrity?

this simply the old “be nice to people on your way up coz you’ll need them on your way down “

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,616 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think Harry and Meghan, Kerry Katona, Kim Woodburn, Gemma Collins, Lady C, Fern Britton and more are coming out about him like Dr. Ranj, Nadine Dorries MP, some former ex Loose Women too

I do agree if this was another celeb, Phil, This Morning and Loose Women would be all over it, giving their opinions but so far nothing really besides Alison crying and the seemed forced tribute by Alison and Dermot

Apparently Holly will open the show on Monday with a "statement"

• I was talking about holly and Phillip having the affair with the young lad..?

Like I said, usually I am not at all ready to fall for some of the antics with these celebs. But this is absolutely different. PS is in turmoil. Who wouldn’t be with such incessant and intense criticism.

• Advertisement
Advertisement