Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F.A. Cup 2023 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't think i've ever seen a team not thoroughly celebrate winning the FA Cup final though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

When City get sanctioned for cheating will they lose the cups as well or is it just the Premier league investigating the cheating?

Just the Prem I think, since it's specifically the Premier League that are charging him, rather than the FA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Just to say, I genuinely don't care if City win the treble from a fan point of view. I know one City fan, and he's not even obnoxious.

But if you think what you're watching is legit, you're fooling yourself. It is not normal for the last 4 months of the season to have zero jeopardy. They've never been behind. They've never been in trouble.

Utd, the third best team in England this season, couldn't lay a glove without some Grealish madness. Not a glove.

Arsenal, the second best team this season, couldn't get near them twice in the league.

This is what the FA's ineptitude in dealing with the cheating has done. All it needed was a supercoach to stick around an oil run club for long enough, and a jeopardy-less season has happened. It was inevitable.

No word of a lie, I stopped my football subscriptions in March. I've had them since well before Liverpool under Klopp. The whole thing is lifeless.

In the United era of dominance, and 1999, there was always jeopardy. They were moments from losing or fùcking up multiple times. It's what made it memorable for me, even though I fúcking hated it.

This City is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭cmac2009

The year is 2027, after a long drawn out legal case, 3 of 115 charges against Manchester City have been upheld. As a result the Premier league have fined the club £1m and suspended their mascot for a year.

°°°°°

Bang on.

The effort Liverpool put it in for those few years to keep up only resulted in one title and the liklihood of Klopp getting back to that point is minimal.

It took everything they had to achieve that success, City barely break a sweat.

Similarly with Arsenal this year, best league performance in two decades, not good enough.

United had a lot of success under Ferguson, most of it was edge of your seat stuff, the treble was miraculous but every game was on a knife edge.

The Premier League allowed this to happen and in doing so they've devalued their own product.

The toothpaste is out of the tube and all the charges and rumours and innuendo are coming too late.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

There's a conversation to be had about City, the Premier League and football doping as well.

However, today is City's. However it's assembled, it's a fantastic team. Will win the treble. Will probably do it back to back as well.

As a United fan...

Congratulations City. Best team won.

Going to open a few beers, dig out the old VCR and play the (real) Treble video. And forget everything after '99

Money talks. They won't lose a trophy. They'll drag it on for years and get away without any major punishment.

• Advertisement

Until Pep leaves City will be dominant. The man is a machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As much as I dislike City, you have to take the moaning of Utd, Liverpool, Barca, Real Madrid fans with a pinch of salt.

It was all great for decades when they were able to buy the best players, outspend everyone else, get all the decisions etc, but now they aren't winning any more, the toys are out of the pram. They want the old days back, well sorry but they are gone. The authorities have sold the game a long time again. There is no way of going back. And you might all soon be hoping for a super league so you can compete.

Cool story.

The good times won't last forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

That is true but only if city were buying all the good players and paying everyone legally much like Chelsea did, and madrid did for years. But man city decided fir some reason to pay players under the table, just seems totally unnecessary and a bit arrogant.

It's not a story, it's what has happened. The elite clubs weren't moaning about too much money in the game when they were winning.

Of course they will make a comeback, it's all cyclical. Sure utd might have Saudi money in a few weeks time.

I have no love for city BTW, in case you think I'm a supporter

°°°°°

Since when are the Saudis in for United?

Tbf none of what you're saying seems particularly well informed.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Are Saudis not one of the 2 prospective buyers of utd?

And what am I saying that's wrong? I've been watching football, English and European, for over 40yrs.

°°°°°

It's Jim Ratcliffe and the Qatari's.

You seem to be ignoring some pretty egregious behaviour by City.

We've all been watching football for decades so that's an odd attempt at establishing some sort eminence here.

Glazers Out!

You have the wrong country. Not much difference in what they stand for tbf.

Yeah... there's always this narrative that it's just the cabal of 'old' clubs having a problem with City because it encroaches on their turf. As if they're this little elite society sticking together, when in actual fact they have all hated each other during their own fallow periods. So the resentment of a stronger foe has always been there, but with it came a grudging respect. I think it's that latter element that's gone, as a result of the fact that it's all being achieved entirely outside of the football finance eco-system (breaking said eco-system in the process to an extent that will likely lead to some form of implosion before too long).

Also City have created a level of continuous consistent established dominance never before seen. The cycle of teams qualifying for the CL fairly continuously shifted over the years, with everyone having ups and downs, dropping in and out, opening space for other teams to move up and have a pop - but since City first qualified for the CL, they have qualified every single subsequent year. The only team to do so, by a mile. Rather than valiantly breaking down the gates of the old power structures, they've lowered the odds for anyone else making it up - it's now City+3 that will take part in the CL. And it's probably safe to say that very soon it with be City+Newcastle+2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

they won it with pellegrini and mancini as well. its not so much the manager as the endless cash available and invested in the correct signings.

add to that the ability to sell players that dont work out cos they can just sign an upgrade.

the PL opened to door to this long ago and now super duper wealth will be required to compete

Post edited by y0ssar1an22 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They aren't moaning about too much money in the game.

They are moaning about the cheating.

You must work for the BBC, they never once mentioned the cheating today either.

°°°°°

Glazers Out!

They upped their level under Pep. Yes, the endless money gets the players, but they are a relentless team under him. He's the ultimate winner,and his mentality is embedded in that team.

I wish he'd go away tbh 😂

I'm sick of this narrative that it's fans of big teams who are simply sore that City have money. It's lazy, uninformed and desperate.

It's the cheating. It's the fact that it's so obvious too. But we're supposed to believe they're just really well run, but within the rules.

They buy the best players (eg Haaland and Grealish), whilst keeping their best players on big contracts, whilst paying the best manager, whilst assembling the best football structure, whilst renovating their stadium, whilst stockpiling all the best youth talent for as long as they're useful, whilst cutting the world's best sponsorship deals to pay to do all of these things simultaneously. All whilst every other club, even elite ones, have to pick and choose when they do things.

But I'm supposed to believe it's because they're the only club able to do all these because they're simply 'well run', and no other club can.

It's insulting tbh.

Man City bringing in more revenue than Real Madrid. Some achievement...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I find it really odd that it's not ever questioned by anyone in the media, ever. Like it's a 115 tonne elephant in the room but all we get is fawning platitudes. Will be really interesting to see what the reaction is if alot of the charges stick.

1 thing that is rarely spoken about is how good city are at offloading players. the more i think of it, the more its gotta be a fugazi.

the reason utd cant offload players is cos they are locked into a 5 year contract on 200k a week, and no other club can match that so the player stays.

how can city so easily offload players? they do get good transfer revenue. but the problem selling players has never been about how much you sell for but the contract the player is on.

°°°°°

And with empty seats at most home games.

It's all above board. All their sponsorship comes from Abu Dhabi and Newcastle are already lining up Saudi sponsorship for their new regime.

Obviously it's just sour grapes from fans of other clubs.

Glazers Out!

Because they can take the financial hit. It's not difficult.

Torres gone. No problem.

Cancelo gone. No problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Especially given that they can't fill the commonwealth games stadium.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

it would make sense given the way mancini was paid.

it grinds my gears that the pundits wont speak about the glaring elephant in the room.

best team ever? maybe. but built on fraud.

like lance. great cyclist he was was and overcame some challenges, but still cheated and was rightly stripped of all his titles.

it was so endemic in cycling they had to do something. i think in ~2 years the 100 odd charges will be dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

For years they were shite at it, adebayor, tevez, wayne bridge loads of them offloaded at huge loss. Its only recently they have become good at it. Its hardly suspicious at all?

Most of the profitable sales have come from youth players or players cycled through the rest of the group. Picking them up on the continent for peanuts.

Someone mentioned Torres, they turned a profit on him, no financial hit. Got him for a decent price, he did alright, scored a few decent goals for spanish national team and made a profit on him by selling him back to barca(albeit on the never never).

Cancelo will likely take a hit as no one is stupid enough to pay big bucks for him…

thats the issue. city can so easily offload players like you mention above.

no other team in the world can do that cos of wages. city can, not a bother.

its usually got to do with wages. i said in the utd thread about a month ago we'd be luck to sell martial for 5m due to his wages.

city dont have that problem for whatever reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭McBain11

We all know the reason. Caymans bank accounts for every player and manager that has ever walked through the door.

The supposed accounted for wages they are paying the likes of Haaland are comical. You can multiply that by 5 in reality straight away. There's a reason why you never hear rumours of Real, Barca etc unsettling City's top players over the past decade - how can you unsettle a player and hope to poach them with a higher wage when City are paying their players multiples of the going rate.

It's hilarious at this stage that anyone, even City fans with the thickest of necks, pretend that all of their sides in the past decade plus haven't been built around financial corruption. Managers and players being paid off the books, false income from ludicrous make believe sponsors, Abu Dhabi owners pumping money through their other businesses to sponsor City at multiples of the going sponsorship rate.

There's a reason why City were booing the Champions League anthem for the past 10 years - it's because UEFA fined them for breaking FFP way back when, but only gave them a slap on the wrist (smaller squad size and a fine).

There's a reason why City were banned from the Champions League and fined millions a couple of years ago - UEFA and every tom dick and harry on the street knew what City had been up to, unfortunately by UEFAs own statutes some of the charges were too old so couldn't stand up in CAS. City were still found quilty of lesser charges and fined millions.

There's a reason why the PL have hit City with 100 plus charges. Every knows why. Everybody knows the truth at this stage. The only thing I can't figure out is why the mainstream media don't ever mention it (I'm guessing it's either protecting their own product of PL, FA Cup etc, or the media are afraid City will tie them up in legal knots if they mention these things).

Imo the end is near for this complete sham of a club (a pity because they were a great club to support years ago, they would have been one of my second teams if you will in the early 90's). City owners will try tie the PL up in the courts, appeals etc for years. Hopefully they will be found guilty asap of every dodgy financial dealing they've been involved in. I reckon they will be relegated when that happens (I would hope down a number of tiers but PL might cop out on going that hard). Relegation, points deduction in the following few seasons and stripped of every title since those owners came in is what should happen.

Treble or no treble next week, in the year or so City will be shown to be a complete fraud of a club. Guardiola knows all about the dodgy finances obviously, so wouldn't surprise me if the spineless git walks after next week's CL final win or lose (that way when City go down for corruption the smell around him won't be as bad if he's out of the building a year or so beforehand).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There is, and will forever be, an asterisk beside every trophy City have "won". Everyone knows this. Few in the punditry game will dare speak of it. But everyone knows it.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The players mentioned were all offloaded at huge losses in recent memory yet the club have a turn-over on par with Real Madrid.

I know fans will do their damndest to defend their chosen club but it simply is not possible that City fans can look at the starting base less than 15 years ago and honestly believe it's all on the up and up, if ye were truthful on the subject. I don't expect an honest answer but please don't try to shyte in a cone and tell me its ice cream.

°°°°°

What's going on at City ultimately requires intervention from government and not sporting bodies.

Should City wriggle out of their PL charges the movement against them needs to be a grassroots one. Fans of other clubs protesting and disrupting City as much as possible.

Lots of clubs get taken over and end up far richer than they were, that in itself isn't necessarily a negative thing, City have set a precedent now that Newcastle are poised to follow (already setting up dodgy sponsodeals within the last week).

The media never say anything because to do so damages the Premier League brand, the problem is the longer that continues the worse that damage becomes through inaction.

The whole thing is a mess and needs to be dealt with immediately and not years down the line.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I think ever since City started hoovering up league titles a few years ago, I stopped being bothered by them. They’re not winners in a traditional sense, they don't have moments where they struggle. The worst adversity they over come is maybe a blip where they lose a game or draw a couple. Due to their doped squad strength, they can afford to rotate without it affecting the overall quality of the team. Look at Stones for example, a fantastic defender that would walk into most sides in the league, but barely played for the last 5 games of the season. Or Mahrez, who would start for most teams week in, week out yet was rested for pretty much the month of February.

Thats not canny management, it’s cheating.

I’m sure many city fans couldn’t care less what I think, and see it as sour grapes or whatever, but I won’t recognise the greatness of City. Whenever they win a league or a cup, I just shrug, because it’s like a void year, no-one deserving won the trophy.

And if they are ever stripped of their titles, it’ll be the same. No one will recognise those that came behind City as winners of those titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

I don't see Man City's dominance of the EPL as being particularly ground breaking stuff in the grand scheme of things. Ferguson's United did it in the 90's and 00's...

There seems to be this attitude that City have been universally dominant and almost untouchable, probably based largely on the perception of their playing style being seen as close to perfection. But the reality is that they have struggled quite badly to transfer that dominance into the CL... and lets not forget Liverpool did manage to break their strangle hold on the EPL - and Klopp did it on a budget too. If City were as untouchable as some people seem to think, then those two factors wouldn't even be a vague possibility.

Football fans tend to have a short memory and can be heavily biased towards the perception of how a team wins. And also EPL fans very often see the league as being pre-eminent, and in an arrogant way the CL doesn't matter that much by comparison. So it's almost seen as a bit of a fluke that Man City haven't won more in Europe. But this is a complacent stance to take, and as I said quite arrogant too. If you're head and shoulders better than everyone else around you, then that will naturally show in Europe too... it can't be simply put down to bad luck when you're viewing things over say a 5 or 6 year period. It's likely much more significant than that.

I don't see this Man City team as some all conquering untouchable force. Not yet anyway. Do they have the potential to become such a force? Yes undoubtedly... but then so did many other teams in history. Yet most of them naturally started to fade after a period at the top. It's much harder to stay at the top than it is to climb up onto that perch. Man City will be up there to be shot at, and every club in England and Europe will be that bit more hungry to take their scalp because that's how top level sport operates. Top players and teams will enjoy the challenge of getting the better of them.

Basically, it's far too early to even be talking about breaking Man City's dominance of the football universe. They would have to achieve complete dominance first, before that became a serious discussion.

Are you talking turnover or revenue in relation to all income or just player sales?

When city offloaded these players they posted huge losses, mostly in the first 5-10 years since the takeover.

Have you looked into detail the revenue of City versus Madrid for the financial year you mention?

Comparing Utd's dominance to City's dominance is forever a silly one to make.

As I said yesterday, there has never been a team that has potentially won the treble like this. There is no risk, and there hasn't been risk on the pitch since February. That is not normal, and Utd were never, ever like that. It was fùcking painful, but you always felt there was a chance. They hadn't quite destroyed the balance.

Oil wealth is different, and to pretend its not is disingenuous. City have used their dodgy connections, other business interests and bottomless pit of money to get best in class in absolutely everything. The horse has bolted. When Pep leaves, it will be different. There will be some risk back, but as long as they get the manager somewhat correct, they cam hire Pellegrinis and Mancinis, who aren't even top tier, and still win leagues. That's what cheating wealth does - you're in the conversation unless you completely fúck up. If you've just normal superwealth, you still need to get appointments right in order to challenge the cheating wealth. That's the difference.

Pep, one of the top 3 coaches ever, hyped by this bottomless pit, has taken all emotion out of football. Pep's aim through his football is to make everything predictable - if you can monopolise the ball, and get your player spacing correct, you can predict almost everything. 7 years of oil has made this goal a reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

With respect managing that City squad is something that at least two dozen experienced coaches in European Leagues could do successfully.When you have 20+ World class players that you can rotate and rest at will during the Season without a fear of a drop off in performance it’s not a bad job!

°°°°°

If Supermacs told you they had a greater global revenue than McDonald's would you believe them?

Glazers Out!

According to you it's silly... but who are you? One man with an opinion, like everyone else.

You do realise we're talking about the topic of dominance... and you are referring to City's form since February. 🙄 Which also conveniently ignores the fact that Arsenal (another unfancied team with less resources) were putting up a serious challenge to them before the wheels eventually came off near the end. City's league win this season was far from a foregone conclusion up until near the end. This doesn't suggest the sort of all conquering dominance that some would have us believe.

If city have the best in class in "absolutely everything" and "everything is predictable" then why would people be making excuses for them when they flop in Europe? Why would they be deemed unlucky every year they got dumped out? Luck should surely be much less of a factor, when you hold most of the trump cards...? It should almost be a formality to win the league and CL every season. But we're not seeing that level of dominance. (yet)

I don't personally think we will see it either.

I think Pep will struggle to replace players like De Bruyne when their powers inevitably start to wane. Simply because, no matter how much money you actually have, there is a finite amount of these talents in the game and clubs are very reluctant to give them away to rival teams. This is why City have had to spend eye watering amounts of money on very average talents like Grealish etc, because the Mbappe's and Messi's of the world are not always available to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Average talents of Grealish, you just lost all credibility, he is far from average, he may not be Mbappe level but who is…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Exactly, he's average when compared with the best out there.

When I say average, I'm talking about in the context of the elite players. Grealish is a good player, but he's never going to be Balon D'or quality.

And don't believe for a second that Pep isn't after that calibre of talent... like everyone else he wants those players, but like I said they're few and far between and clubs are very reluctant to sell them to their rivals.

Pep has signed one genuinely world class player in the past 2 seasons. Haaland... that's it. There's no doubt he would want more players of that calibre if he could find them. But exceptional quality is exceptionally hard to find.

This is why he tried to sign Ronaldo a few years ago, even though everyone knew Ronaldo was slightly past his best years... because those calibre of talents are very rare, and you have to grab them whenever they become available. Of course, like I said, many football fans have very short memories so they forget these things very quickly.

(btw I couldn't care less what some random person on the internet thinks about my credibility!😆)

Nah, I would have a look at in detail to see for myself what the numbers are and try figure it out. And then when having a debate I would pin point exactly where my suspicions are and try hear the other side. But that doesn’t happen on this forum when it comes to city, people(not aimed at initial poster) throw out a few lines and there taken as fact to be regurgitated many more times by multiple other people who have no clue and accept it all as fact.

Its absolutely preposterous for city to have slightly more revenue in a financial year than Real Madrid and must be cheating but for eg Spurs can have significantly more than Atl Madrid and not a single person questions that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Im disagreeing with pretty much everything you’ve said here.

Arsenal were never going to seriously challenge City. No-one who knows anything about football thought Arsenal could push them to the end. The squad depth simply isn’t there, while City had the ability to rest players like Stones and Mahrez for weeks at a time. Arsenal just didn’t have the depth.

Its not that Arsenals wheels came off, it’s that City have the ability to change theirs without stopping!

They flop in Europe because A: it’s a cup competition, not a league. It’s only been retained once (by Real Madrid) in its current format. And B: maybe they have a bit of jinx on it, so they don’t play to their best. I fully expect them to run out handy enough winners next week.

I don’t really see how you could say with a straight face that they haven’t been dominant in the league when they have won 5 of the last 6 titles, coming in 2nd in the outlier.

And Grealish, as much as I dislike him, is far, far, far from “very average”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement