Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Dp fitted to pole today !

how long have i to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

This probably needs its own thread but ComReg did produce a framework and a draft decision a year ago. It allowed that copper could be replaced by an 'Alternative Comparable Product' which included FWA and G-Fast. It also largely accepted Eircom's 'stop sell' plan. The decision has been postponed again until Q3 2023, but given the Minister's ambitions for 'gigabit internet [for everybody]' (aka universal FTTP) it might have to go back to consultation.

Some clear thinking required by officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 daryljames1

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you had a similar situation or the the best way to approach the installation. I was meant to go live Friday 2nd June, but on the day on installation kncircuit came out and looked at what options were feasible for the premises. Ideally wanted to avoid overhead. As ducting has several bends coming into the house and already has the old eircom cable placed in it before it was put in the ground of the house when it was build in 70's. As the ducting pipe is 20mm/ three quarter inch . I was wondering can we remove the eircom cable or get nbi to or attach it to it to help feed it through? As they were reluctant to touch it as they said it was eircoms. But it's on our land. So I was wondering has anyone experienced anything similar or have a solution? The other alternative was to get a satellite swan neck bracket and mount it to the wall of the house. Which is okay but wouldn't be astectically nice. Ideally if anyone has a solution to the ducting query please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Is the eircom cable still in use? If its not then cut it and use it to pull a strong string line through the pipe. Then next time the installers will just see the string line for pulling a cable. 20mm is a bit thin and realistically will only take one cable unless you pull more than one at a time. I don't blame anyone who didn't want to try and get another cable in that conduit as the old eircom one would have made it really difficult.

Edit> If your not confident then check out youtube first for how to pull a cable, your doing it in reverse (using a cable to pull a string) but its much the same.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

This what we did. I hired a long fish wire thing but it wouldn’t budge last hockey stick bend. Had a small camera and ran it down and found there was one pipe inside another and was tight bend.

I found contact for ex KN guy from someone and they came out and pulled new rope using the old Eircom line then pulled another back up again with the old eircom line. So now we have fiber line, old eircom line and a spare rope if ever needed. Was a great job.

Post edited by chris_ie on

• Advertisement

Was thinking about that but would this work. As I have at least 3-4bends in my pipe before it gets into the attic from the pole and as mentioned the ducting is is only 3/4 inch?

Well someone got the cable in there originally although they might have fed the cable as they joined up the pipe?

Any idea what the angle of the bends is and how long is the pipe? You can test if you can pull through a new wire by checking if pulling the old one at one end starts it moving at the other, no need to cut the cable just try pulling any slack from each end.

Then again you could go against my advice of trying to get a second cable in and try pushing a fishing line type wire puller through the pipe with the eir cable still in place. If that gets through you know you can pull a cable through.

They got the cable in their as the piping was out flush on the grass before it was put into the ground so it was easy to get in then. So it could be awkward enough trying to add the fibre in there aswell but can test to see if their is any slack on the line, hopefully so.

The length would be 30-40 meters from the pole to the house with about 3-4 bends. So wouldn't be easiest, I imagine. But I don't think It would be impossible. But correct me if you think otherwise.

I Might email eircom/eir an undisclosed email not with my address and just asking is it okay to disconnect their line if needs be (to make room as it is small that duct) and pull other one through. As the copper is being decommissioned anyway. As my dad mentioned he would like to be sure to have that in writing.

30 meters with bends is a very long way in a narrow cable with bends. Can you lay another pipe? If the eir cable is in use then don't touch it. It sounds to me like the installers made the right call. If that had been proper 50mm ducting then even with the bends you'd do it.

The only thing that makes me think it might be possible is that your 20mm ducting sounds to small to me to even have any joints in it which would mean any bends would be easier to traverse but not with another cable present 20mm is really only for one cable.

Eir won' t allow you to touch any of what they consider their equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

If they won't use eirs duct and you don't want overhead cable, then ask them to lay new duct.

When mine place was surveyed I also didn't want overhead cable so he just said they can duct it from pole to the house. Still waiting to get mine done but it's in motion to lay duct.

• Advertisement

Hope I'm wrong but I think you might be waiting a very long time like forever.

Yeah, I see what your saying. I probably will test the slack on it and get an old engineer friend out and see what he says. But if all else fails. I will go back to the swan neck mount on the wall. As digging for a new duct would involve digging up the tarmac. Which am sure alot of us would not do unless your minted. Unfortunately I am not.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Eir dont work that way.

they will not give you permission to touch any of their infrastructure. you wont get anything in writing either !

You have me worried now. I was 7 weeks waiting for a pole that went in on Friday. I don't think I could handle another delay cause of ducting. After what you said I reckon I now will just lay the duct myself. It's only 30 ish meters over soft ground. so hopefully give them no excuses.

Put down the proper 50mm stuff 20mm is just too narrow.

I was gonna use hydrodare cause the the 50mm esb stuff is about 3 times the price. Can't see why it has to be so big for short run.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dollylama

You can buy similar diameter to the red ESB ducting in black or blue for less usually. Pipe Force in Dublin have a good range and will courier or pallet it out

In fact I think there's a green ducting on the go now for telecoms but I haven't used it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

And we're connected. Kn out today at about 4pm, he moved the box to a better location for me too so happy out. Were up and running by 5pm. Speed test on WiFi was 517mb up and 52mb down.

I just changed the SSID and password to the same as the old router so avoided having to reconnect every single device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Packrat

Surveying our area - Beara Peninsula, - Kenmare side today.

Website is giving us late 24 if connection.

Guys surveying are saying 2 years at least and possibly more like 5.

It's a carbon copy of when we got electricity - 1978, about 10 to 15 years later than most rural areas.

Some bullsh1t.

No different tax rate though.

We only matter here when they want us all to stay home out of their way the day of the Beara cycle...

Very depressing.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

You'll probably be passed by fibre before I will be. We're about 12 miles from Limerick city, not surveyed yet with expected connection date of 2025/26.

The further you're from one of their initial 33 points-of-handover the longer it takes to get to your area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ours is 25/26 and we're wicklow. I don't think you've it bad at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

I'm 150m from eircom fiber and my estimate is 2026. I could hit cork city with a stone too.

Where may these 33 points of handover be found. Is there a map anywhere online?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Yeah, about 55km from the nearest one of those green dots. Fibre about 4km away at the moment.

Each point-of-handover is connected to a number of local deployment area exchanges via a high-capacity closed fibre loop, to ensure redundancy.

Neighboring deployment areas are rolled out from these PoH exchanges along the fibre loop.

I'm assuming Killarney is your nearest PoH?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

So i got an email yesterday from NBI that FTTH is available to pre order for my house.

I currently have Imagine Broadband and it is working ok for me, but the tempation of 500MB + speeds is tempting me.

I also currently have Sky Q for tv so maybe looking at trying them for the package?

Any providers that people recommend, or to avoid please?

Do any of them have issues with crappy routers etc?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭jonnreeks

Well I have the 1GB efibre installed and am quiet happy with the speeds. Its way above what we had and the WiFi is much improved throughout the house.

Cobh

😀

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

Pre-ordered with Eir today, the follow up email says that the go live date is due within a 45 day period from the pre-order date.

That's really good to know. I cannot wait to be rid of Imagine. I haven't been able to game in the evenings for months due to chronic latency variation and packet loss, and Imagine have been fobbing me off telling me everything is fine and there's no real problem when there is. For over a year now they've been completely unhelpful, won't try to fix my connection in any way.

When I get eir installed they can go feck themselves and take their crap off my chimney and good riddance!

I also see that a lot of providers are offering 2GB/200MB connections now and dang is that tempting.

I can hardly contain my excitement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

2gb will prob be useless to you as you won't have the internal infrastructure to use it at those speeds.

1gb, if you have decent wifi6 devices and good catx cables would be at least be able to use it.

I have 1gb from Vodafone over nbi, with some wifi6 aps and get about 800mb dl and 110ul. If I had 2gb, I wouldn't even be able to test it never mind use it.

Advertisement