Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭jmreire

So they will all have to be individually inspected and a report made on each one. Things like breech block misalignment, is for sure a pretty serious item. But I wonder what's involved in correcting the alignment? Big or small job? Fluid changes? Generally, they're not major surgery, even for automatic transmission's. There will be for sure, a large Nr of veh's / equipment etc only needing minor attention. Sure its a set back, but its not an insurmountable one, and better they find out now than if / when they are needed for their planned purpose. Magic Moran will know a lot more about the effects of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

It's getting right back to Stalin and his purges:

Imagine locking up your best scientists on trumped-up treason charges. (Of course Clare Daly would say I have no evidence that the charges are trumped-up!)

Russia is really going down the drain.

Good!!! They better get used to it, because there's a whole lot more of the same coming their way, and all of the propaganda production from the Kremlin factory of lies telling them that the Russian air defenses are working well and not to worry, is not going to give them much comfort while bombs are falling all round them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,665 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What's going to happen when Russia finally decides there is no distinction between Ukraine and the countries aiding them and reaches for the WMD toolkit? Attacks, no matter how ridiculous in Russia, are incredibly dangerous for a country as heroically paranoid.

I do wonder what other governments in private say to the Ukrainians about their attempts to spread and rope other nations in to the war.

Blind eyeism and pretending a bunch of randomers on the Ukraine/Russian border are abusing the situation entirely unaided is not credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Or, you could just come out and say you want Russia to win because you're scared of THE BOMB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,432 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As credible as Russias little green men in Donbas?

And arent the annexed regions Russian territory?

So why is crossing the old border a red line now?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Russians attacking Russians on Russian soil.... Sounds like a Russia problem to me.

Both Germany and the UK have come out and said Ukrainian attacking military targets within Russia is perfectly justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,665 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Didn't mention nukes. If they do turn to something like that I think the west will be absolutely terrified and wouldn't have the will to do anything about it in any case. The notion that societies whose main preoccupation today are important things like gender and race politics is going to get involved in such a confrontation i'd struggle to believe.

This is a war between Russia and Ukraine. I support assistance to Ukraine under the red lines of the US which is for weapon use solely inside the territory of Ukraine.

If Ukraine can't guarantee those weapons don't fall in to hands of others who want to engage in activities in Russia itself with those same weapons then that support obviously can't continue.

They need to continuously show they can be trusted on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,010 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well they're going to get vaporised. Obviously.

Putin and Medvedev will rattle the nuclear sabre all day every day, but they must realise by now that the global west is not afraid of it. They know they've had their bluff called and sent back to them tied to a brick.

Besides, the people who make up the military brass and the security services and the oligarchy are not going to permit Putin's folly to end the lives of their families and the motherland.

Without people willing to enact his orders, Putin is nothing. Totally feet of clay. And that's really where we are.

Him being deposed is only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

No one needs to wonder what is being said in private, Ukraine is targeting military in russia, the countries supporting Ukraine continue to supply Ukraine while this occurs.

russia doesn't do boo about it because it's deathly afraid of touching NATO or the EU as that would be the end of it's existence.

We're watching a russian death spiral, the only question is how long it will take (and it could take many years).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

So it’s ok - or is it - for Putin to bite away - bit by bit - at other soverign nations, looking for opportunities in getting his toe in the door and ‘interfering’ in general in the business / politics of some states. Syria , Moldova, Georgia, Kosovo, Ukraine, Belarus come to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭amandstu

It looks like they might be getting a taste of their own medicine now.

Is that not always the case with imperial overreach?"

"Where have all the flowers gone"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

It’s of interest you referring to agreement re American supplied arms can be used to attack targets in UKr only and are not allowed to attack targets on Russian soil. That agreement was based on the circumstances that existed at that time .if certain circumstances change then some aspects on this agreement may change . Eg if Putin uses nuclear weapons, nerve gas, etc.

as a matter of fact you might remember that Putin and other very senior officials eg Russian ambassador to Irl , denied up to within a day or two of 24 Feb 2022 that Ru has no intention of attacking UKr . BUT, BUT, BUT things changed apparently in the meantime and Ru was left with no option but to invade .

So what is good for the goose is good for the gander,!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I thought the "manly Russian army showing the woke west how serious they are" shite was put to bed quite a while ago.

Under Russian law, all of the fighting is already on Russian territory.

Describes Russian society in general:- Me Me Me and Me.

Or more likely, get singled out for fast track conscription?

If you systematically destroy collective expression what else is left.?

I pity the poor Russian citizen.

"I pity the poor immigrant

Who wishes he would've stayed home

Who uses all his power to do evil

But in the end is always left so alone

That man whom with his fingers cheats

And who lies with every breath

Who passionately hates his life

And likewise, fears his death"

Bob Dylan

The spies are probably too thick (at first) to get the message.

And the retweeter can also feign claim misunderstanding (a kind of "malicious compliance" )

The Soviet Union collapsed and this iteration may go the same way.

I think that the whole point of limiting what Ukraine could do with US supplied weapons as to avoid dragging the US into direct confrontation with Russia, and possibly ww3. So diplomatic speak, these US supplied weapons are to be used for defensive purpose's only. That does not interfere with what Ukraine does with home produced weapons, or what's supplied by other Country's that place no limits or restrictions on what they supply.

• Advertisement

This post also reinforces my point about Russians not having any say in the war. For people who claim that all Russians are guilty because they don't actively fight against conscription or against the regime in other ways. They don't because presently they simply cannot, and while the situation remains as it is, that's way it will remain. Now if some pushback came in the form of some clans decided that they have had enough, and banded together, and started attacking the mobilization center's, now that could start the ball rolling!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

The west told Russia, in no uncertain terms, that if they go nuclear they will be hammered. The west has burned its bridges with this and won't back down.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

🇷🇺 BUK-M1 spectacularly 🔥💥 destroyed by 🇺🇦

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Are you saying Ukraine shouldn't be allowed to attack russian territory during a war started by russia?

If my neighbour starts dumping his dogs sh1t into my garden I sure add hell an not going to put it on my bin for him, I'm going to throw it right back into his garden along with my own dogs sh1t and if that's not working its going all over his windows and doorstep until he gets the hint.

When he stops and cleans my garden thoroughly from top to bottom and fixes any damage to it and apologises with his tail between his legs then I'll stop throwing sh1t all over his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

06/04/2023

With. Neskuchnoye, Volnovakha district, Donetsk People's Republic, Russian territory temporarily occupied by Ukraine.

n.p. came under the control of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

It looks like Ukraine have staged some sort of attack and had some success according to a Russian source.

There's geo-located footage of some wrecked Ukrainian vehicles in the area.

Will be interesting to see if this is just a once-off raid or the start of something bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fastpud

Came across this article showing Russians’ attitude to the war.

All just want Russia to win regardless of their opinion on the reasons or cause.

One quote struck me: “I believe that while sending troops into Ukraine was a mistake, withdrawing them would be a crime”

Maybe the cost of the war needs to be much higher for Russia - much more targets within Russia need to be hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

"The notion that societies whose main preoccupation today are important things like gender and race politics is going to get involved in such a confrontation i'd struggle to believe."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Russia have constantly made veiled nuclear threats but never follow through. So we can be fairly sure that they wont just suddenly deploy nuclear weapons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,420 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I imagine their stockpile is in as good of shape as their regular force at this point.

was watching a documentary that under the Obama/GWB admins when it came time to refresh our nukes, we had actual encountered a ‘lostech’ issue: nobody knew how to make a critical bomb material anymore, Fogbank, it was super secret so it wasn’t written on the refrigerator and the engineers who hadn’t already died had forgotten how to make it. We spent a large sum of money reinventing it. In contrast I don’t see the Russians overcoming similar issues with their bombs should they arise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement