Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Thankfully they have now separated the footpath and cycle path in that case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That's a big plus. I think the path might end up quite narrow on the Stafford's side once another cycle lane is put in. Not sure if they will replace the two disappearing bus stops on that side with car parking spaces too.

I wonder when do they move to the other side of the road. There are days when it appears absolutely nothing is happening.

Do you know is the plan to open the inward bound cycle lane while they work on the other side, or just wait until it is all done?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They're opening it as they go, the part through Marino/Fairview is already open.

In some sections they've already started on the outbound side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

But they’ve left most of the cycle lanes blocked off, filled with waste and unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I don't know if I'm missing some irony here, but removing a bus stop and replacing it with car parking spaces (!) in one of the highest-density parts of Dublin that some of the lowest car utilization rates, is egregiously stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It must have been to pacify some moany objectors I'd say

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Whatever about having section of the C2CC as two-way cycle paths, Griffith Ave would have worked far better as a two-way cycle path and parking where possible put on the opposite side (so no need for buffer space).

i noticed this on the east side too — really deep and some larger trenches for the water main works, yet, it keeps being dismissed.

Full street revamps like this can be disruption on their own but the water main is really an extra layer to it.

I must have been just really really luck every time I’ve visited the area.

I think they had to appease people with no option but on street parking maybe?People don’t want to park and then have to cross a wide street. People are also lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

But the on street parking is for people on both sides of the street, so some have to cross either way.

I agree completely, it should be a two way cycle path on one side (probably the school side) with parking on the other side. What they have created now is dangerous for Children cycling to school. Putting parking on the other side of the street would also have been safer for kids been driven to school as they could exit the parked car onto a footpath, rather then into the middle of a cycle lane!

BTW they have done even crazier stuff with this cycle lane in the past week, I’ll post some pictures of it tomorrow if I get time!

It’s a poor design, it’s badly executed, and I can’t understand how it can take so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭highdef

But any chance, did you raise your concerns during the public consultations and if so, what was the response you received back?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That other large pipe that you can see in the trench is a gas pipe. That must be the main difficulty there, you definitely don't want to hit that, so all the works are happening around that pipe. That's why the water pipe is so deep.

I was actually surprised that the gas pipe wasn't deeper, seems like you scratch the road and you'd be seeing the pipe.

People on here have complained about how the Griffith Avenue cycle lanes are badly done, now's your chance to complain about a new cycle lane going in. They're planning to do Gracefield Road to Vernon Avenue, and it's the exact same stuff, single lane on each side, loads of poles, etc.

Have your say here:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

In situations like this, where there are houses along both sides of the road, single lanes on each side is probably the best option as putting them on one side would bring huge opposition from residents on that side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect griffith avenue was a quick fix - putting contra flow cycle lanes on one side of the road would have meant re-engineering the road much more, as you'd have to change traffic lights and sequences, and approaches to junctions.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Quick fix! .... 3 and a half years and counting!

"In situations like this, where there are houses along both sides of the road, single lanes on each side is probably the best option as putting them on one side would bring huge opposition from residents on that side."

But Dun Laoghaire County Council have done exactly this on the same types of roads in the south of the city with no issues.

BTW I've had a pretty mind blowing experience this past two days, both mornings I've seen like a queue of almost 20 cyclists pass along the cycle lane on Griffith Avenue pretty much back to back in 30 seconds! And not school kids either, looked like students/young adults.

While that isn't unusual in the core city Center, I've never seen it before on Griffith Avenue!

In a 10 minute walk to school, I'd say I was seeing more then 50 cyclists and escooters, like a real constant flow. Of course the nice weather is helping, I suspect many fair weather cyclists, but still it is crazy successful.

Unfortunately it also shows that the cycle lane isn't fit for purpose and is already over capacity. When the 20 cyclists passed, half of them had to mount the footpath to get around slower cyclists in the narrow cycle lane! As you can see below.

I'm seriously impressed, it shows what demand there is for cycling, even a poor cycle lane can attract such usage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, a 'sure we've dealt with that, on to the next one' approach.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'd have thought it easier to use the road to go around slower cyclists. That's what I do anyway.

might be easier to bail out of the cycle path by going left rather than by weaving through the wands? and people might feel safer doing it anyway.

Some do, but at some places it is hard to do as there are cars parked on the outside of the cycle lane that block it from easily getting in and out of. In the above case you would cycle in front of a car coming from behind you, as they are all coming from a junction where the lights just turned green, so definitely some cars coming in the road too. The junctions have little bicycle traffic lights that turn green a second or two before the car traffic light turns green, too allow the cyclist to get a head start, but in this case it means the cyclist would be waiving in front of a car coming in a second. Not really safe.

As I mentioned, the design isn’t fit for purpose, no space to overtake slower cyclists (young kids), so people have to pop in and out of the cycle lane. A pretty dangerous thing to do and a situation easily avoided had I been a wider two way bike lane.

Thinking about it, a dedicated cycle lane like this, is going to attract the type of relatively inexperienced cyclists who wouldn’t feel comfortable swerving into a road way, in front of oncoming cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm a cyclist, but don't really consider that being slowed down by another slow-moving cyclist ahead of me is actually a sign of a design flaw. I don't have any inherent right to have a cycle lane that allows me go unimpeded at my own maximum speed. Slow down, slot in behind, tut a bit to yourself, and overtake when it becomes safe to do so - a bit like regular road traffic on a single lane road.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

You are a considerate cyclist. Many seem to forget that the footpath is for pedestrians.

I would say this is a fine wide footpath, with plenty of space for all, plus a little further up the street there is actually an official cycle path on the footpath. Of course if they built a proper cycle path, non of this would be necessary.

"I'm a cyclist, but don't really consider that being slowed down by another slow-moving cyclist ahead of me is actually a sign of a design flaw. I don't have any inherent right to have a cycle lane that allows me go unimpeded at my own maximum speed. Slow down, slot in behind, tut a bit to yourself, and overtake when it becomes safe to do so - a bit like regular road traffic on a single lane road."

No one is talking about maximum speed here, these people were mostly women on Dutch style commuter bikes, that don't go much faster then 15km/h. Non of them were cycling fast!

You really can't cycle fast on this cycle lane, it is too narrow, with too many junctions and cars parked next to it, with doors opening into the cycle lane.

The issue is that little kids (like 7 or 8) or also using this cycle lane to cycle to school. It isn't shown in the above picture, but the reason for the delay was there was a little boy of around 8 and his dad cycling in front of this group at no more then 5km/h.

Asking people to slow down that much is silly, as it would make cycling pointless.

BTW not that little kids shouldn't be using this cycle path, the whole stated purpose of this cycle path was to build a safe cycle path for children to cycle to school and to imrpove the road safety around the three schools which was and still is dreadful. I'd argue that is has failed miserably at all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Maybe fine and wide, but for pedestrians. What happens further up the street is a cycle path if seperated from the footpath.

Advertisement