Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Cringe posts lads.

Impossible to have a discussion with someone who is putting words into your mouth that you never said. I will say that I'm sorry that the whole thing triggers you so much.

Well I'm not actually as I get a great kick out the whinging from the "theres no far right" brigade. Keep on!

Nah hes calling out the racist far right scummers in the country. It's pretty admirable and you know he's doing it right when the far right sympathisers are throwing their toys out of the pram in response!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭trashcan

There is a difference between EU resettlement schemes and general asylum applications, which arise from the Geneva convention and which are incorporated into our domestic law.

Not accepting the premise that 75% of the country are racist far right scummers who believe immigrants are rapists and pedos when those same scummers have been caught making up lies about immigrants to push that narrative is "back-pedalling"? haha, do you hear yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Yes they end up hiring students who have no idea of how the real world works and who are easier to brainwash.

When they move into the real world and are negatively affected they will have a few far right thoughts also.

Looking to buy or rent a house with a partner where a handful of places are available in most city's.

Looking to get a kid into schools that are overpopulated already.

Looking to get access to a hospital bed or surgery and waiting a long time for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

If it worked that way all would be well. Those types have an amazing ability to disconnect themselves from cause and effect. They'll moan about housing all day, while ignoring one of the most obvious causes. There was a great example recently where Chu and co were out protesting against the "Ireland is full" types, all while holding signs about "housing for all". Much the same with covid policies, where the sane few warned about the economic effects of it all, and were dismissed by the usual types, the usual types who now moan about the cost of everything. We've essentially normalized literal insanity.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Perhaps educating yourself on what they actually think and say before you comment about them would lead to a greater understanding but somehow I doubt that is possible in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭suvigirl

This scaremongering rubbish.

Firstly, we need women to have more children, the birth rate in Ireland has been decreasing for years.

Secondly, non Irish mothers doesn't equal non Irish fathers.

Thirdly, what difference does it make if a fifth of our population or even more, are not 'ethnically Irish ' is there some reason to believe that the ethnic Irish are a superior race then other ethnicities?

This is the type of sound bites that the far right spread, because it seems reasonable, like 'Ireland for the Irish ' etc. Instead of believing that everyone living in this country should be treated as equals.

There is no race superior to others. And we shouldn't ever accept a two tier society.

It's enjoyable to see how much it irks some people to the point where they desperately try to make stuff up. The whinging while you deep down know that the majority of the population are not racist far right scum is quite funny.

Correct, because they are not far right. Opposing possibly one of the most ridiculous and destructive policies in the history of the Irish state does not make anyone "far right" or "racist" or "scum", it makes them sensible. I don't know exactly what you seek to achieve filling your post with derogatory labels.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

What? I know what they think and say, I've literally just given examples, and what they say is highly contradictory, and not something that comes from a place of any reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The uk is not in the eu, as far as i know uk citizens have no right to come here as economic migrants ,

Of course even before the eu existed its

been the case people from poor countrys have always travelled to more prosperous countrys to find work ,its up to government officials to enforce the rules and deport people who have no right to come here and no fair reason to live here .

So the same as it's been for many years? Do you even know what it was in say 2008? Exactly the same buddy. Do some research before you come up with "scoops" maybe?

You've shown absolutely no understanding actually but I can't say I'm surprised.

Thank you for your agreement. The point I was making was that I didn't accept the premise that 75% of the population thought all immigrants were rapists and pedos. The far right scummers I'm referring to have also been caught spreading misinformation as such. I do agree that obviously the majority of the population are not thinking in this way. Cheers. At least we've made some progress on that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭suvigirl

We have a common travel area with the UK. Irish and UK citizens have the right to live and work in both countries and are entitled to the same welfare

You're literally the only one calling all immigrants rapists and pedos. The desperation in your posts is so palpable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

To put things into a bit of perspective,,,,

Ireland has nearly always been well below the EU average regarding asylum seekers. There was a spike in applications last year following the Covid travel restrictions being lifted, but we've seen a significant fall in the number of people arriving in Ireland seeking international protection in the past few months. There's been two-and-a-half times fewer arriving than the same time last year.

Any comment on that statistic about births to non-irish mothers you posted as if it was some kind of scoop and new thing, when it has been at the same level for well over 15 years or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,782 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Ethnic Irish haven't existed since the 12th century.

No Canadians? Americans? No south Africans? I mean it's amazing you can tell from 20 year old 144p footage taken from the top of a bus.

Unless you meant something else by non Europeans?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Nope.

There is a difference between people with right wing views, and far right racists.

Many people share the view that control is needed and we are getting over loaded.

They are still not anything remotely far right or racist.

If you can't tell the difference, well that is another issue..

• Advertisement

He actually thought "Well 75% of the population are far right racists and think immigrants are rapists and pedos so what are you talking about?" was a genuine argument. hhaha

So is this the Great Replacement conspiracy nonsense creeping into this thread?

For those who are reading this, note that this is extreme Far Right propaganda..

Poster regd to do the same on the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Nothing incorrect in what the poster has said in fairness.

There is. It is skewed far right nonsense.

I don't mind people who post their views and opinions.

What I don't like is propaganda/conspiracy theories

• Registered Users Posts: 9,782 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

A false dichotomy has been created between either accepting some of the proportionately largest mass migrations in our history or a fascist far-right takeover.

There is no far right movement in Ireland *with legs* as everyone admits regardless of their politics.

Implicit in the idea that this could even happen is that the general population gets totally fed up with the normal government, which is a backhanded admission that something could be seriously out of whack somewhere.

Broadly 70-75% of ordinary joe soaps want to see large scale immigration tapered.

The remaining 25% containing big players in politics/PR/media/big investment firms/corpocracy (the latter seeking cheap labour) etc. want it to continue or increase.

Advice to the latter group:

Stop trying to scare people with "far right" scenarios. Rein it in and stop alienating ordinary people, accept that Ireland is a country with a people - not just a technocratic instrument of bureaucratic managers transferring different populations around according to some criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

oh the two tier society is alive and kicking in the form of DP/ asylum/refugee system - the government and those supporting them created that all on their own.

it might be the conspiracy rubbish that most on here believe but seem terrified to talk about. It's pretty impressive for the so called conspirators to be pulling off such a conspiracy and at the same time having people too scared to speak about it.

Or maybe it's all a load of crap that some select idiots believe..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

No, there's just something wrong with your comprehension of the meaning of the terms refugees, asylum seekers and when the full invasion of Ukraine started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I can't imagine being this scared of the world.

Think we need to change the thread title.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement