Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Well there's this:

Ryan Tubridy is an Irish television and radio presenter, journalist, and author. While he has gained recognition and popularity in the media industry, there have been some criticisms and negative aspects associated with him.

One criticism often raised is that Tubridy is perceived as overly self-centered and attention-seeking, with a tendency to make conversations about himself rather than focusing on his guests. This behavior has been noted in both his television and radio interviews, leading to accusations of narcissism and a lack of genuine engagement with the people he interacts with.

Another negative aspect that has been pointed out is Tubridy's occasional insensitivity or lack of empathy in certain interviews or discussions. Critics argue that he sometimes fails to show appropriate sensitivity when dealing with sensitive or emotional topics, which can come across as dismissive or disrespectful.

Additionally, there have been controversies surrounding Tubridy's significant salary as a presenter, with some questioning the value he brings compared to his high earnings. This has led to debates about the fairness of public funding and whether it is justified to pay such high salaries to media personalities.

It's important to note that these negative aspects do not define Tubridy entirely, and he also has supporters and fans who appreciate his style and contributions to the media industry. As with any public figure, opinions and criticisms vary, and it's essential to consider a balanced perspective.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another day passes with such a rubbish show it doesn't even get one post on this thread.

Once he stops doing the LLS, you'd have to wonder is there really any need for rte to continue to employ this dullard? Especially if he is raking in huge money to riff for an hour per day on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

A good song suggestion came in there this morning to have a piano piece played at the end the show. Tubs read it out, uncomfortably saying “we’ll see”. Instead he opted for the very bland song and over played Niall Horan song. Pity!

Nice to know if we ever meet he will duck down so as to not embarrass me for being shorter than him.

Thing is Ryan, if I ever bump into you, I'll not be asking for a photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

I presume you wouldn't be offering to lose your musculature so as not to embarrass him.

• Advertisement

What I did.

Seems to have picked up plenty of freebies yesterday.

• Full of fake humility this morning.

Did you ever consider changing the station or listening to a podcast?

Are you one of those chaps (it’s always men btw) who listen to shows they hate, presented by people they have a visceral and slightly unhinged hatred for, just so they can comment about it online?

Like is there actually anything else you could be doing with your life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

He's leaving the LLS? News to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Expunge

A UL infomercial for the hour today. I wonder will 'Rhine' revisit some of their greatest financial transactions of the past few years?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/university-of-limerick-bosses-have-no-regrets-over-site-purchase-1477594.html

"University of Limerick (UL) bosses have “no regrets” in relation to the €8.3 million purchase of a city-centre location, which was completed in 2019 without a formal valuation, TDs have been told.

The Public Accounts Committee heard that the site, which was an old Dunnes Stores building, was valued at €3.5 million in 2017."

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2017/08/13/ul-president-house/

"THE UNIVERSITY of Limerick has come under fire for having two official homes for its president and spending money to maintain them while one is not lived in."

Ah the Irish third level sector, where the Presidents of some of these institutions think they're actually a Head of State.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

^

fuuhker ‘ell!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Another week off next week but will be around for "most of the summer"

• He’ll need the week off to recover from tonight’s shenanigans, it takes its toll on the body and mind.

I see he said the LLS tonight will celebrate home grown talent.

Basically saying that there will be no international or top quality stars at his leaving do. But it's OK Ryan, regular LLS viewers are used to not seeing international stars any more, as the guest list has been full of irish z-listers for years now.

Another week off.

Fantastic work if you can get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Ffs, a week off to sort through all the stuff he's scabbard from the guests,

The richer they are the meaner they are

His only job from next week is hosting a 1hr radio show. Monday to Friday, 9am to 10am.

We all know he does very little prep for that show. So I would guess he probably isn't in most mornings until 830am.

He's finished his 'work' before most of us plebs have actually got to our morning break at work. Rest of the day is his.

Yet he can't struggle into work next week, no doubt to get over the physical stress of his last LLS.

A good days work would kill him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

It makes such a difference whenever Tubridy is off. I prefer Brendan Courtney but, even with the impressions, Oliver Callan is still much more tolerable. With the right presenter the show could probably work in its current format but that's not happening any time soon I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭littlevillage

:-)

He'll be full recharged after his week off.

How will he fill the hour now, with no LLS to talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Red Fred

He'll probably spend a few days talking about his birthday celebrations and all of the kindness he was shown.

He will probably never mention the LLS again and come September claim he doesnt watch it.

Post edited by Red Fred on

I'm sure we'll get a few days of the usual "floods of tears" crap from 'texters' about his last LLS. No doubt Christmas will now be permanently ruined for others due to him not being on the Toy Show.

• Oh, Toy Show The Musical, what a tragedy!

A financial disaster, what a calamity!

RTE, our beloved broadcaster, now in despair,

As the losses mount up, it's all too much to bear.

The show was meant to be a hit, a festive delight,

But instead, it's caused nothing but a financial blight.

The production costs were sky-high, the ticket sales low,

And now, RTE's finances are taking a heavy blow.

The cast and crew worked tirelessly, pouring their hearts out,

But unfortunately, it seems, their efforts were all for naught.

The reviews were mixed, the audiences scarce,

And now, the future of RTE's budget is in disrepair.

Oh, Toy Show The Musical, what a tragedy!

A financial disaster, what a calamity!

RTE must now pick up the pieces and move on,

But the memory of this loss will linger on and on.

My poetic talent knows no bounds beyond that of AI

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

Will his salary be reduced?

• He has plenty saved in the pot, having hot freebies here there and everywhere. Then his bookish travel series in the mode of the Mánchán Magan will reply shush that pot. He’ll do a kind of travelling version of School around the Corner, combined with visitations to museums, bookstores and libraries, and interviewing authors, visiting book towns such as Wigtown in Scotland, and maybe partaking in one night roles in local music societies, a kind of magazine travelling show.with my plentiful ideas for suitable venues to visit I could be his agent and take a cut.

Surely it will have to be?

He was getting paid 495k for 5 radio shows per week and the LLS slot on a Friday night.

If he's only doing the radio now, 495k would be some rent for it. Approx €2000 per show in fact. Then again, it is RTE, so you never know.

• She, they’ll get him to put on sone tv show as above, I asked AI to suggest its title:

1. "Ryan's Reading Road Trip"

2. "Tubridy's Travels: Exploring Education"

3. "The Bookworm's Journey with Ryan Tubridy"

4. "From Pages to Places with Ryan Tubridy"

5. "The Literary Explorer with Ryan Tubridy"

6. "Ryan's Scholarly Adventure"

7. "The Book Lover's Expedition with Ryan Tubridy"

8. "Ryan's Educational Escapades"

9. "The Learning Journey with Ryan Tubridy"

10. "Tubridy's Tour of Knowledge and Culture"

I really like the suggestion “From Pages to Places with Ryan Tubridy” Now where’s my cut of the fee for having typed a few words into ChatGPT Ask Me Anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,294 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A show based on Ross Kemp On Gangs meets An Idiot Abroad would be ideal for him, in episode 1 he could potter around Compton in his tweed suit asking the locals for foodie recommendations.

Advertisement