Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Ah look I get he can be frustrating but so long as him Lowry and Power are playing golf in a major, or any other Irish players I'll be doing my best to find any positives to continue to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

That was him playing his best, he could never drive the ball accurately. This isn't Rory playing well.

3 off now.

If I look at the 17th hole and the interaction between brooks and his caddie, it's the one thing I think Rory misses out there. Brooks is a 4 time major champion and his caddie had the balls to talk him down on his shot, lay up, at worst take a bogey and at best make par.

I think Rory could really do with someone to challenge him but also to keep his sanity I check.

A decent tournament considering he missed 80% of fairways.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

First time in a while - I wont go along with the Rory was close talk --- he was wild off the tee, missed greens by miles and his putting was poor - that was a backdoor top 10 - nowhere near the players at the top. A long way off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

How can you backdoor top 10 when you've been in the top 10 since Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Don't think I'd quite go so far as back door top 10, but certainly a "never really in contention of winning" top 10 😀. For me, I think the tournament was over for him when he hit that shot on the 2nd. I mean, you won't find a bigger fan of Rory than me, but f--k me, there's 15 handicappers would have played that shot better. As Jack has often said, missing a green like that with a wedge is like missing your mouth with a fork, and he does it far to regularly for it to be just one of those bad shots that can happen. Literally no excuse IMHO. Stick that in close and he's now only 3 off the lead with 16 holes to go, a totally different ball game. Someone like a Connors or Hovland was never going to worry Koepka, probably nobody was going to anyway, but Rory's name high on the leaderboard early on might have had an effect.

I dunno, maybe Brooks now being the best player of his generation will spur Rory on to get the finger out and sort out whatever issues are going on with his game and/or equipment. Or maybe he doesn't really give a F anymore, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You just knew it was game over after that shot on the 2nd. He was well out of it by 15 but that was another terrible miss with a wedge in hand.

His best golf is up there with the best of them at times but he has too many weaknesses to really compete in Majors, mentally and with elements of his game. It would be nice to see him get spurred on by Brooks but I'm not sure it works like that with Rory, he seemed fairly content being part of the Block fairytale more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Agreed. And look, maybe that's just who he is now, more Seve than Faldo. Maybe he'll always just be the mercurial talent that once or twice a year turns in a virtuoso performance and blows the field away in the Canadian Open or something. I hope not and I hope we do see a version of the Rory of 2011-2014 sometime again. Even Rory of 2019/pre pandemic 2020 would do.

Maybe I'm being too negative, after all he did finish top 10 in a Major while hitting it sideways, so there's that I guess !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yes...I used a poor expression for what I meant...basically he is nowhere near the top versus other guys ..he was poor enough and hit terrible shots..even if he got near Brooks ..Brooks would have taken him easily coming in.

Maybe he was sick ..but he is a long way from guys at top top..and his final round and talk of I'm going for everything is a bad strategy..that the likes of Brooks'caddie wouldn't enable..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

i suppose the only positive he can take away is that he improved from the masters, copped on a bit with the media stuff and maybe just maybe he might focus on the golf and let the pga worry about liv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

That's just so Rory...playing fantastic and then triple bogeys the last....from third to 34th in 1 hole...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

Watched a decent amount of coverage of his round. He played well overall and wasn't far off a couple more birdies.

The triple was from a poor tee shot that left about as bad of a lie as possible. Tbf it's bad luck. The ball was almost hip height in pure cabbage and he was fortunate to get out. His next lie was crap also and he had no chance of holding the green. Once at the green he'll be pissed off with his pitch/flop and particularly the chip. The rough is very penal so he was absolutely nailed on for a bogey or even a double imo. A triple is poor but it's not a capitulation. Spieth had similar to deal with for his 2nd/3rd but he landed short in a bunker which was much easier up/down for bogey.

Rory flubbed a few scoring chances too inside wedge distance. The likes of Scheffler/Rahm/Koepka would be hoovering up birdies in those situations. I'd be more worried at that, than the triple.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭zocklie

Did the commentators mention he was 3rd last on tour for shots gained from like 125-150 or something? Watched a bit of it too last night, he didn't play that bad bar the last, which was awful course management I thought. I was listening to some of his interactions with his caddie, he seems a bit soft on Rory,kinda letting him decide what shots to hit all the time. I wonder if he would benefit from someone who would talk him down from the hero shots once and a while. On the other side, that's Rory's game so not sure how that would go down 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

I wouldn't over react about one bad hole. With the US Open in mind, I would look positively on his round for the most part. This is his first tournament of three in a row too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well you mention it there. I don't care what anybody says, having a friend on the bag full time is a big problem.

He needs a proper, strong caddy to talk through the options with him and give an opinion if he's taking risky options.

Although Jack's words about Rory were quite prophetic a few days ago : "I don't know whether his is a constant lack of being able to keep that concentration for the whole thing or not, because sometimes he is the par, par, par, double, 8.

"He does that sometimes. And I said, 'Why, Rory? Why does that happen?' And ... he doesn't know."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

Yea! It seems like it's always going to be part of his game.

No idea but the caddy thing is completely personal in what you feel you need. Some guys need a caddy to read a putt 5 times and check the position of the stars. Others need someone to tell them to go for it and maybe lack a bit of confidence. He was #1 not so long ago and he's always a threat. Everyone and Rory believe that he has more potential tucked away that's not being realised. I don't think Harry Diamond or a different caddy can make him any better with wedges, putting or mental resilience.

On the other side of the coin. I did laugh quite a bit at Bo Martin standing there stone-faced while Hatton was going bananas at everything. Sky/NBC left the mic on for ages and kept apologising for the language. Although towards the end of the round, it was muted immediately after every shot he took. I always thought that the PGA would introduce some sort of fining system for bad language. They broadcast before the watershed (locally at least). Nonetheless, it constantly amuses me that the "impossible" always seems to happen for poor ould Tyrrell.

Yeah, that stat is bonkers. He's 2nd in proximity for 50-125 and almost paddy last for 125-150.

Partial wedges - world class. Full wedges - amateur level. A bit of hyperbole but it really doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nice bounce back today, game seems to be improving.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

He's playing well which is great to see...hopefully that triple on 18 yesterday doesn't come back to haunt him...could be a cracking couple of days of golf

• Registered Users Posts: 38,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I doubt two golfers from the same club have ever won a European Tour and PGA tour events on the same day. Serious chance of it today. Tom McKibbin has a two shot lead with six to play in the European Open and of course Rory leads the Memorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Hopefully McIlroy starts well tonight and gets the win. No work tomorrow so I'd love to sit back for the night, relax and watch him play some top quality stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

That's some chip in for a 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭blackcard

Taking 12 at the 2 par fives a major blow. Taking 8 from about 95 yards at these 2 par fives probably rules out any chance of victory

• Registered Users Posts: 52,009 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sloppy play from Rory and going backwards now. A familiar pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭sliabh 1956

oh dear just going from bad to worse a shame really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

Rory needs to pay Steve Williams 1 million dollars to come out of retirement(Rory idolises Tiger, and Steve won umpteen majors with tiger). He needs a grilzed, Wiley, Win freak to manage him shot by shot. Someone who knows how to control or push or steady a Thoroughbred( especially when it it is not firing on all 4 cylinders).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It’s too late now to change, just accept him for what he is.

Advertisement