Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

There's a Dublin based company which provides a service to answer questions like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I thought you were Irish when you became a citizen, i didnt think it was more complicated than that.

People are blaming Euro technocrats and all but my understanding is we cant limit freedom of movement for European citizens as part of the eU so dont think immigration is all the governments faults.

The action of uk limiting migration have resulted in them not having enough truck drivers, fruit pickers and au pairs/child care worker fuelling inflation there so doesnt seem to be a magic bullet to limit immigration and increase standards of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Possibly.... or they just believe in a different more inclusive society.

Lot more people in that category than are credited here.

Some people are less driven by economic factors and their beliefs are so altruistic they would give the shirt off their back to help others.

Others are more centrist and will do as much as they can afford which is very fair

I do think a lot of pretty centrist peoole are in the 75% that would have been more in favour of immigration before this current burst and flurry.

Now getting worried about housing and being taken for a ride both by the government and people who are coming into the country.

Its not black and white though (no pun intended!)

And there are people in that 75% who hate any racism or bigotry and would go the opposite way very quickly if they see any violence or intimidation of refugees.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

We actually voted for that for freedom of movement in The Maastricht Treaty referendum, 69.05% for and 30.95% against. So it can not be said that it's being imposed on us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

1.5m Irish born people are currently living abroad (presumably with many of them working). We would really want to have some hard neck to try and put a halt to freedom of movement for EU citizens who wish to come here to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Why?

Foreign countries can accept or reject Irish immigrants according to their preference surely. We should also be free to make the same broad choices.

In Nigeria only 0.6 per cent of the population is made up of foreign-born migrants. Nigeria also has approx 1.5 million Nigerian-born people living in foreign lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think it's predictable Ireland has been in an economic boom at least the past 7 years go to and shop or hotel supermarket a large part of the staff are obviously from EU country's. We simply do not have enough Irish people to fill all the jobs especially in places like cafes hotels our economy depends on being part of the eu and allowing workers to come here

The problem is our health service cannot keep up with demand we have a housing crisis we have a shortage of certain workers like builders doctors

I read today some polish workers are going back to Poland as the rents housing cost here here is much more expensive than in Poland I cannot tell how you can look at a YouTube video and tell who is Irish or from the EU eg Poland France etc

If you read about USA immigration it's alot worse than Ireland eg 1000s of people are arriving everyday in states near Mexico

@Strazdas how many are working in the EU, any idea?

The way our local neighbourhood is going every 2nd family has somebody emigrated to Canada or Australia.

All qualified people.

But it's no point people wringing their hands and saying "if the housing were there, they wouldn't be leaving".

They would still.

People said similar " if the jobs were here.." a few years ago.

Its not jobs or houses, its a rite of passage for so many young Irish people and at this stage, its hard to imagine our country without it.

Doesn't mean that we shouldn't be striving for more housing of course.

I am just saying Irish Emigration is not always negative as long as people can come home to houses and jobs if they want to.

'I read today some polish workers are going back to Poland as the rents housing cost here here is much more expensive than in Poland'

Though they get called immigrants, many Poles in Ireland appear to be guest workers engaged in a form of arbitrage. High Irish wages saved up and then exchanged for Polish currency goes a long way back in Poland.

1 Euro = 4.49 Polish Zloty

Some Irish people take advantage of arbitrage when they relocate to Spain or Portugal with their savings.

• Advertisement

This is what our government need to make a decision on.. Numbers needed for work here, and get stricter.

A lot of the countries our kids are emigrating to outside of the EU have strict visa and numbers requirements.

They will look after their own people first.

However "their own" includes the refugees all countries are obliged to take in by law.

Can you name any country in the developed world that is taking active steps to try and stop legal migration to its shores?

I believe the numbers are on the low side, around 100,000 people. but the fact remains that we are a nation of emigrants and with a long history of people moving out to work elsewhere.

Gulf Arab states let in non-citizen guest workers without enfranchising them. Japan is fairly sceptical of migration in general.

However I'm not understanding the point of your question. Any and every developed-world country could choose to take active steps to try and stop legal migration if they chose to. The fact that they don't just proves that.. they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

That's 1. Long way from a valid comparison with the rest of the world.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

There's a Dublin based company that provides a service to discuss issues and see if the participants know things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Jesus I had a Romanian guy say to me if he had a 100k hed buy 10 apartments back in his country and rent them out. About 3 years ago I think.

Live like a king is the term he used.

What happens when this so called economic boom stops here?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

I think they are under the misconception you have a legal right to move to a country to work. You don't. You can claim Refuge as a refugee that's totally different.

Most countries which have strict immigration systems don't use such systems to try and halt or slow down immigration, merely to regulate how it works. In fact, such countries (the US, Canada, Australia etc) have very high net immigration and are not taking any steps to halt it.

The only country I've ever heard talking about about making reduction of legal immigration a specific aim is the Tory Brexit regime in the UK.

Yet any country can choose to change their policy.

I don't see the status quo itself as a validation of the status quo. That's a little circular to me.

Plus as discussed earlier these countries are often frustrating majority opinion with these unpopular inward mass migration policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

What's the company address?

Is there a publicly accessible list of shareholders?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Typically, I would chime in on migration-related threads. I’m of the opinion that the volume of inward migration to Ireland is unsustainably high. The demographic pressures are already impacting under-funded services, including education and healthcare. Just as significant are the societal repercussions. The cohesiveness of Irish society is being systematically dismantled and I do worry about the fragmented society my young children will inherit. Frankly, it makes me sad.

However, I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s futile to try debate this issue on Boards. It’s the same set of circular arguments from a small cohort of posters, some of whom have been around the block before in different incarnations. Both sides are screaming into the void at one another, implacably entrenched in their own position. It’s utterly pointless.

Instead, talk to your family, your friends, and your colleagues when the opportunity arises. Very many Irish people are feeling anxious and deeply unsettled by the highly visible demographic change happening before our eyes. It isn’t ‘far right’ to have concerns that the very foundations of our society are changing beneath our feet. It’s a perfectly rational response to a directionless, misguided policy.

More importantly, talk to your public representatives. Articulate your concerns, let them know that they have no mandate to implement the levels of migration this country is currently experiencing. Change is inevitable; it needs to happen before the current dysfunctional administration irrevocably damages our beautiful country. One thing for certain, is that change will not happen by engaging with incognito online personae on an obscure, dying website. It will only come about by engaging with people in the real world and expressing your legitimate concerns around the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Whats going on with all the people getting free travel? Is this given out wholesale to people arriving?

The Public Services Card PSC, has the special FT on the corner.

How can I get one of these?

Oh sorry, you seemed to think Ireland was different......

I have shown you one, here's a list of famines on Wikipedia, I don't have the time to be doing the work for you.....

Thankfully, my family and friends are neither scared of 'd foreigners ' or biased against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

And there you have it folks, the canonical example..

Often, the key to responding to posts is to understand their context rather than frantically scurrying off so you can find some tangential facts to slam dunk in the thread, that proves nothing to anyone who is sincerely engaged.

You asked the question, I answered it for you. Adding education to a thread is clearly adding to it.

You didn’t understood the question as you didn’t understand the context. Feel free to continue justifying doing just that, on your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well said and reflects a lot of ordinary people. I've certainly contacted our local TDs on these and related matters. And the topic comes up with family and neighbours. There is a sense that the very nature of Irish society is shifting under our feet. We don't all want to live in some homogenised world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement