Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foam Insulation Quote

Options
  • 23-05-2023 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I have a detached dormer 256 m2 (approx) and I was thinking of using foam to insulate the roof.

This is 100mm breathable foam

I've been given a €5k quote for the whole roof if I accept today and €6k if I get it later on but I've no idea what prices are out there.

Could anybody gives a hand and let us know if that would be a reasonable price? I genuinely hate this one day offers but it doesn't look that crazy, however... I'm not in that world.

Any tools or calculations to know what could be reasonable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

Always wary of offers where you have to accept now!

Too many questions to make meaningful comment and probably to many questions for you to make a decision!

What is the foam?

Who says it is 100% breathable? What if it isn't?

Does the solution suit the existing construction?

What assessment has been carried out?

How is foam put in place? Who makes good or redecorates if finishes are disturbed?

How do you ensure that all roof sections are insulated?

What thermal values will the insulation provide?

What is the payback?

Foam insulation is normally a relatively expensive option - your quote seems low - possibly too good to be true!

Some mortgage companies and insurance companies may have issues with foam?

Is there a warranty for the installation?

Is there insurance?

I would proceed (or not proceed) with extreme caution!

F

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭UnhappyCustomer

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cromuli

I've had two quotes for a roof size a bit bigger than this both at 3K, they both use breathable foam (Icynene) one wants to spray directly onto the roof and the other one advises using vent cards, getting the tiling replaced and the roofer advises against the use of spray foam citing roof rot, confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭UnhappyCustomer

The guy has been calling me once a week to see I decided to go ahead or not and all of the sudden the one day price has been prolonged.

I don't know if I will do the foam in the end but surely not with these people, sounds a scam from here.

Btw, would you mind sharing the names of the companies that you contacted?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cromuli

One of the companies is called "Quilter Insulation" and the other one I can't recall based in Limerick. Former straight onto the roof and the latter vent cards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement