Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phillip Schofield steps down from ITV after affair with "much younger male"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Reading some the posts here people seem very happy that PS is being constantly ridiculed and criticised. What will make some of you happy? Him 6 feet under? Surely the man deserves to be left alone now.

His career is finished. Do we need more and more pressure heaped upon him?

and don’t give me the “then he should shrivel up and disappear” nonsense. Even when he is quiet he’s being slated.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's disturbing that your first thoughts on this are to have some sort of schadfreudeesque glee

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yep. Absolutely. The absolute intensity to try create some vicious-nasty-salacious scandal from a man having a consensual intimate relationship with another man…

folks hiding behind absolute garbage like “he told lies, he broke his employment contract” blah blah blah.

This appetite for inflicting shame and scorn is of no surprise with people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Certainly he’s in “turmoil” - I mean who wouldn’t be in that situation- but I guess, there’s times when you should talk and there’s times when you should shut up-I thought the interview was too much about him- yes do an interview but make it about the people you hurt, not about how you’re feeling- I felt it was too weighted on him tbh and felt somewhat insincere as a result

He was asking to be left alone. Of course the interview was about him. He has apologised for upsetting people. What more do people want.

nobody will convince me that this isn’t anything but people (who don’t give a toss about what he has done) revelling in his turmoil and pain and bullying.

sick side of human nature is what all this is.

But he did tell lies and he did break his employment contract and as a result he got fired - and yes that merits a few days of waffle on a thread like this - and while yes. it does appear that he had a relationship with a man, and not a boy, Philip placed himself into this situation, no one else- while I’m sure some people may regret what they posted a week ago in the heat of the moment without all the facts, he only has himself to blame- the shouting is all but over at this stage - sorry now but I do have to laugh at people getting “outraged” at others who are just posting their thoughts on this story- you’ve contributed as much to the posts in this thread as anyone else has and more than most - so your “out-rage” posts are merely fanning the flames of discussion here, ironic as that may sound to you 😛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

it's a tabloid feeding frenzy for people who consume trashy, British celebrity gossip. Morning shows and daytime TV are trash and ITV has always been the most low brow of the UK terrestrial channels. No surprise to see people referring to these celebrities by their first names, Holly did this and Philip did that and Eamonn the other. It will die down shortly and the idiots will go back to talking about who is riding who in Fair City while having no interest in actual real life issues that affect them and thousands/millions of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

On Schofield coming out interview with Holly on this morning..he said to Holly ' YOU KNOW!! this has been bothering me for a very long time, Holly replies ' ye ye ', in mcgreevys filmreel,Holly is in the studio with the 2 lads a good few times.... Holly must have a inkling at that time why Schofield was in turmoil because of his gay fling with mcgreevy....but Schofield probably didn't tell her directly who it was...that sanctuary where Schofield said he and Holly told each other everything must have been very busy coming up to Schofield coming out

Post edited by cap.in.hand. on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Nope. I believe this poster is shedding light on moral bankruptcy. Not saying you by the way.

I also enjoy posts that show posters up for who they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Have encountered a very distressed woman on Twitter this morning living on her own with serious physical and emotional difficulties who says that Philip and Holly gave her reason to get up in the mornings and she doesn’t know what she’s going to do now.

It’s easy for us to roll our eyes and sneer at this type of thing but I suspect she’s just one of quite a large tribe of fans possibly going back to the Richard and Judy days. Quite a problem for ITV to solve I think.

There are people trapped at home all day, often alone, due to all kinds of handicaps be they physical mental or emotional. Maybe just stuck in the house with a small baby or caring for an elderly or sick person.

It’s easy for us to sneer and look down our noses at them but I for one understand how personalities on live daytime TV can seem to appear like personal friends in time if you are watching at home and you are lonely and isolated.

Other people get over involved with sports personalities and clubs. It’s pure escapism. It’s human nature really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm a full time carer who is at home all day. While people who are at home all day might consume tripe like This Morning, I doubt that they are the ones piling on to Schofield and obsessing about what "Holly" did /said/knew. It's more likely that this is driven by gossipy idiots glued to their phones and reacting to whatever pops up in their feed. Schofield's alleged antics are entertainment for them, just as Enoch Burke's are. But Niall Collins and Damien English lying on planning applications - borrrring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The tidal wave of negativity has retreated for P the last couple of days, but expect Holly to cause a Tsunami on Monday, once again, as she can't help herself, she's looking after No 1 , and going to act oblivious to all that happened in front of her eyes. P still values her friendship, and has so far played along with the story of '' she knew nothing'', as he thinks he can win her back, but maybe when reality sets in he'll turn on her.

Plenty of people haven’t a clue who Enoch or Niall are and couldn’t possibly care less even if they did.

Look, for me the grating insincerity and fakeness of all the Philips and the Hollys of the daytime TV world is enough to peel the enamel off the few teeth I have left, but there is no doubt that there is a huge coterie of folk who do believe when he simpers into the camera that he is speaking to them.

Thats how he’s in his 4th decade at the top whilst all the whole having no discernible talent.

People believe Philip cares about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,608 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I actually think Phil was clever saying he reached out to Holly and she ignored him, she has now to say something positive about him so gain more sympathy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

It kinda amuses me. I couldn't give a crap if either of them live or die.

I don't expect them to give a feck about me either.

The media conversations are boring.

Phil has Piers Morgan and Jeremy Clarkson on his side, the Meghan haters uniting

Will This Morning get record viewers tomorrow to hear Holly who will co host with Josie or Craig

• Advertisement

I can’t wait to find out - oh the suspense 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Guaranteed it will be a damp squib.

It will be a very carefully crafted statement or else not mentioned at all.

I think it will be a sickener to PS if not mentioned at all especially as he said he reached out to her, especially if it was a ploy to force her to say something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭apache

Ah I'll have to catch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

To thine own self be true

Not for me it’s not - I’m just waiting on Nasty Nick to pop up and say “Elloo Mum”🤪

Probably something like “best of luck with the Iceland adds Phil” 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭juno10353

Even if we are to believe all Phillip has said, even if no sexual liaison had taken place, there are still huge problems.

Philip brought a young mate into the ITV work environment.  He showed him preferential treatment by giving work experience, helping produce Show Reel,  having mate onstage at awards, including him in luxury transport to TV awards.  This favouritism was grossly unfair to others, on team, striving to succeed in the industry. This is what causes toxicity in work environment.

When runner seized to be 'mate' he was foisted on other team,  who were left to pick up pieces.  This other team also lost a team member, pushed aside to facilitate Philip's comfort.  Huge abuse of power, personnel and team.

Enough to merit huge workplace review,  suspension if not sack of all involved in toxic unfair workplace behaviour.

I’m outraged so I am- outraged- I just need to find a stamp for my letter of complaint to the head of ITV

PS- what’s the address again??? 🤪

I think he lost the WeBuyAnyCar gig ads late last year

Am I being being too cynical as a person who claims he can't leave the house surely would not stage these pictures with his poor mother for more sympathy

The BBC want Holly apparently

I saw those - my spidey senses/cynic in me say “staged” but obviously absolutely no proof - there’s a picture of himself and his mum sitting on a bench in the daily mail this evening so they’re dragging this out

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TinaTiernan

Having sex in work isn't illegal. Doesn't mean you can't be judged for doing it.

• Advertisement

• Some great quotes for me that are exactly how I feel:

Okay you can say it’s immoral or whatever, but that’s your morality.

People are so unforgiving now and humourless and intransigent.

Like he says it’s just absolutely insane it’s gotten to this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

Each to their own I guess. But Harvey Weinstein at one stage was a pretty much inside joke in Hollywood before he got outed. PS made a living from being wholesome. It's not what you would expect from the latter the former yes. I'm on the fence wish the guy no ill will but I don't really like hypocrisy. If nothing comes out that's fine draw a line under it. Media and people will lose interest. But atm it's all very Jeremy kyle show. Kind of like were waiting for the DNA test results. The thing that is really odd is the other side has not come out with anything that I'm aware of. All could be wrapped up with a bow if it's consensual and was legal and above board. I think that's why it's getting legs until the other side come out it's still up in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

My guess is the other side was made to sign a non disclosure agreement, probably much to the benefit of PS.

Now ironically when it would help PS the absolute most McGreevy is bound by the NDA and can't speak out.

Funny how things work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It also doesn't mean you won't be fired... you probably will it will likely count as gross misconduct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Maybe the other side would like to keep their private life, private

Maybe they're mortified that the details of the affair are now tabloid fodder and the whole country is gossiping about them?

Isn't it enough that PS, who is in the public eye has a witch hunt after him, surely we can leave the innocent other party alone.

But there is no onus on mcgreevy to comment.... Schofield is finished anyway no matter if mcgreevy backed up his story...this morning is the show in crisis.. Schofield and Holly are/were the flagship presenters

Post edited by cap.in.hand. on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

PS has stated that he has not got the other party tied to an NDA. We have to accept that as fact until proved other wise. AFAIK an NDA is not valid where criminal activity( sex with or grooming a minor) is involved

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,551 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I've just read on BBC News online that Holly gave a statement, I can't watch the clip because of regional restrictions.

As expected, she does throw PS under the bus, but follows with concern for his mental health.

Did anyone watch it? It seems many on Twitter found it insincere and think she wore white to project innocence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Just read her statement online. It’s completely nauseating and yes she even wore white to show how angelic she is.

• Advertisement

You’ll see it here on the daily mail site- a brief statement, spoken with some emotion- with language that encourages “moving on” and “going forward” - then….a hug….and then….ON WITH THE SHOW 😂😂😂

Its classic let’s all move on now, stiff upper lip and keep going the way only the British can do 😀

Must say she looks fantastic - if the show continues and she wants to stay on it then I think she deserves to stay- however ITV starts playing silly buggers with her, the BBC will absolutely sign her up - she’s a great presenter and honestly I don’t know what she’s done “wrong” except trust PS, like so many others have done.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12160031/Holly-Willoughby-returns-Morning-Phillip-Schofields-exit.html

Philip and Holly are this morning only..not that I see it often but looking at the show today is monotonous

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I saw it. No love lost between herself and Philip anyhow. He lied to us all to the extent he had to resign but for his sake let's move on.

There have been rumours of a rift between them for weeks - its what lead to the rumours escalating and the resignation. What was the cause of the rift? Did she only found out after he made his insta post? Or was his insta post a reflection on what had gone on?

It's exactly like The Morning Show!

What do you mean?

Before Philip and Holly, there was and were plenty of other hosts...there was Phillip and Fern...before that it was Richard and Judy. Lots of others over the years, I don't think the format needs both or either of them.

It's always monotonous and a pretty brain dead watch from what I can see, any show that gives a regular platform to dullards like Gyles Brandreth, how could it not be..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

What I find most nauseating is the 24 hour barrage of stories when most of those publishing and broadcasting have no real idea as to what exactly went on.

And the public fall for it. Same as the last half baked scandal. And the one before that .

One person who's really let himself down is Eamonn Holmes. Bitter little man with a bitter little grudge salivating every morning on his bitter little TV show. I had some time for him before this but it's a sad way for a man of his age to be carrying on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

I think the rift was to do with the news of Phils brother and his conviction. The idea that Phil knew about it and didn't contact authorities until later. Since he and Holly are thought to be joined at the hip then the public might question if she knew this as well. She distanced herself privately presumably and the rift leaked out as it does a couple of months ago. You take that and couple it with Phils relationship with McGreevy and the optics, while not illegal, look bad and she was presumably getting ahead of it all before it came out and fell out with Phil.

Plenty of males present it or have recently, Rylan pretty regularly (before his personal issues), Dermot O'Leary (regularly), Vernon Kay, Andi Peters, Craig Doyle etc.

It would look better this morning of all mornings for Holly to have a male co presenter for continuation more than anything else.

• Advertisement

Advertisement