Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I’ve mates who will only drink Guinness. Having it on tap in craft places makes it easier for me to convince them to drink in that kind of pub. Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭JoeLapira

One more tap to Diageo is one less tap to the craft breweries, who are already jostling for position on a very limited number of taps. It will start with Guinness, then it will be Hop House, then Heineken/Molton Coors will come knocking with they're free kegs etc. Craft houses offering 10-12 craft taps atm could very soon only be offering 5 or 6.

Rather than accommodating macro drinkers, we should be encouraging them to be a bit more adventurous and try something new, and most of all, support local independent breweries.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

In my local, not having Guinness/Coors/Bulmers etc acts as a great filter, removing customers that the little bar neither needs or wants.

It's really funny how puzzled and/or cross people get because a pub doesn't serve their favoured brand of alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭squonk

That sounds a bit arrogant I think. A Guinness customer’s money is as good as an O’Haras customers money. I think you catch a lot more flies with honey so having the macro tap in a place brings in groups where a number won’t be all at sea. Plus tge lad drinking Guinness every night MyFitnessPal try something different if he sees it being ordered a lot. Also we’re on a craft beer forum here so we all have more than a passing interest in non macro beer. I think the average punter isn’t that interested and I’d also say many are still drinking the same 2-3 beers they started on back in the day. A guy who usually drinks Heineken might be easily swayed by a Western Herd lager for instance. As an aside, I wonder how people actually drink Heineken. IMHO it tastes vile! In the end, if you’re not independently food or drink curious, you might end up surprised by a beer you try KN a craft pub just because you were in with a few lads and started on the Guinness.

Lol, they don't want groups. Or noisy people or drunk people.

In fact, they don't allow groups of 6 or more. Sign on the door. Not having macros means lots of these people that they don't want, just don't consider it as somewhere to drink.

It isn't a craft beer pub, at all. There's only 4 taps and no bottled/canned beer (apart from n/a), it's not about beer snobbery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Thing is they just won't try something else they will just go somewhere else.

There are people who will boycott a pub if they have to switch from Heineken to Carlsberg or because the pub uses the newer type of Guinness glass.

Sounds like I would love it other than the fact I absolutely hate when pubs have stated written rules.

Sounds pretty good! Yeah I was thinking in terms of the GBB pubs where I’ve seen groups come in and a few asking for Guinness of Heineken/Carlsberg. I’d say the barmen get sick of saying “Don’t have Guinness but we have X stout that’s like it”. Some will turn on tgeir heel of course and it’s also annoying to exclude some craft pubs from a night out because the macro people will have nothing to drink in them! It used to annoy me but now I’m older I kind of figure each to their own. I figure food and drink is a hobby for me so I delve into it. I just want to know who won the All-Ireland so some delve into player stats and everything about the championship. That’s theirs so I totally see why some just want a plain old pint of Guinness and leave it at that.

The only written rule is "no stag parties and no groups of 6 or more".

It's best to have that written at the door. It saves arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭JoeLapira

My main point though, for every tap the macros get across the GBBs, is one tap less for the micros. This decision could potentially also open the door for other micro exclusive pubs/bars to start doing the same.

You have a much better chance of trying to get someone to try something new after you have them sitting down drinking rather than after they have walked out the door because you don't have Guinness.

And it doesn't mean 1 tap less if you just make the macro put in a new tap for their beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I put up strong resistance if the plan is somewhere that has no craft tap, so I'm a bit ambivalent about the lads/ lasses that want their Guinness tbh. I know plenty of craft drinkers that an IPA is all they're after and they wouldn't be that interested in trying different styles (actually, I was probably one of those wanting IPA or Red Ales before beer boxes were a thing over covid).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Most bars only have so much room for taps (remember you've a finite space for the taps, lines, keg storage, etc. - it's not just one keg of whatever in the cellar, it's going to be several), so often putting in a Diageo or Heineken tap means having to take out one of your own or a rotation tap.

I'm lucky in that most of my friends are also into craft beer (and the couple that aren't are happy as long as there's some kind of lager on tap, they're fine with a Helles or a pils). I've been with friends who are entertaining visitors to Ireland, and those visitors want Guinness (because marketing) - even when there's very similar alternatives available, like Brú stout. I've been sat at the bar in Brewdock when it's not been too busy, and heard the "No, we don't do Guinness - we brew our own, here, try a taster..." patter 3 or 4 times over the time I've had 2 pints. They must have gotten right sick of having to do that 20 times a day - and they don't have time to do it when it's busy.

I'd much prefer not capitulating to the macro breweries, but I can understand why it happens.

Talking of choice, in related news, it'd be great if I could be guaranteed a decent west coast IPA in the non-GBB craft pubs. I'm well over cloudy, opaque NEIPAs!

In fairness craft beer pubs often do just have 1 keg per beer but I get your point.

It's really a case by case thing of whether you can or need to have macro but I don't think there should be any sort of ideological attitude against macro.

And I certainly don't see anything wrong with a tourist wanting a Guinness. Or anyone else as it's a decent beer.

Yeah rightly or wrongly Guinness have been tacked onto the Irish identity in the sane way as having a curry the UK or a pizza in Italy. I don’t begrudge tourists wanting to try Guinness. It’s their holiday and they’ve saved up to come so why shouldn’t they. I think in that case as a host I’d bring them somewhere they could fill their boots with Guinness and then if they were interested they could try some of our craft stuff. I actually really dislike the photo op each time a VIP shows up of them having a pint of Guinness. We don’t peer Diageo a bit at this stage. We should be actively discouraging it. Diageo have a plenty big marketing budget as is without a bit if free publicity.

I've had to do the Guinness brewery twice in 12 months while entertaining friends who I know from our time working in craft pubs. We have been to and the odd time worked in real breweries together but I still had to endure that place because it's such a "Dublin" thing to do.

In both Dublin and Limerick they wanted an old fashioned pub over a brewery which tend to ape the UK or US craft style despite prefering the beer in the craft places.

And if you want real rip off the new Jameson "experience" is just a whiskey tasting in a dark room. You don't even get to see Bow St. distillery anymore.

Ironically enough, it's the "tourist" pubs that do food in my village that have/ had the local beers. The pub with the best line up was specifically after the tourist market (it's in the process of changing hands to be even more food orientated), and told me it was requests that lead to them going from 1 tap, to 2, to 4! The two "locals" don't have a tap. Now whether that's because by the time they've made it to Wicklow they've moved on from Guinness, or the "Wicklow" marketing of Wicklow Wolf and Wicklow Brewery I don't know.

Ah nuts! The only reason I’d do that is to visit the distillery! Sure what’s the point otherwise? Incidentally I did the brewery tour in Fullers in Chiswick probably 10 years ago now. A great afternoon with nice beer she they didn’t take themselves too seriously either. Maybe it’s charred but at the time it felt like roaming around the brewery! The pub outside the gate was nice as well.

Whatever about touristy pubs, it really gets my goat when I stay in a hotel and all I can get in their bar is Heineken or Diageo - especially when the hotel isn't necessarily part of a chain and markets itself as local/traditional/"Irish welcome", all that malarkey. Like, staying in the Gold Coast Resort hotel in Dungarvan earlier this year, and they didn't even have a bottle of Helvick available, never mind a single tap, and the Dungarvan brewery just down the road! It seems to vary by county - Galway, especially, seems very craft friendly, and Mayo wasn't bad at all. Dublin? Meh.

Dublin us surprisingly bad and seem a bit behind on a few of the modern trends.

I don't know about "tourist" pubs (I think Limerick only has 1) but the really nice traditional pubs I would recommend to tourists would all at least have Treaty on draught or Irish craft in the fridge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I don't go pub-hopping a lot in Dublin but I thought things were generally OK as regards an independent beer offer. Rye River and Wicklow Wolf in particular seem to have lines in places where the beer selection isn't a priority.

• Advertisement

I guess my local must be pretty unusual in having just 4 taps, and all from the same brewery? Stout, IPA, Lager and Pale Ale.

It's would be pretty normal for lots of European bars. Funny how it seems so strange here.

Some visitors must be very surprised to see bars with 20 taps but only 2 or 3 styles!

The 5 or 6 lager thing in Ireland is gas but it all comes down to someone being "a Heineken man" or "a bud man". In the UK it's usually a choice of 2 or 3 between house or premium and there is way more variety between sites so all you can be is "a lager man"

I assume your local is a tap room or something related to one which is pretty odd as a local I would say.

Not too familiar with Limerick, but yeah, been in three or four pubs in total in the last 2 years there, and all had Treaty available. Can't remember the name, but there's a lovely pub by the river I've been to after rugby matches. And one of the 'Flannerys' pubs 😀

Dublin can be hit or miss. City centre, yes, there's plenty available. Northside suburbs, a lot of pubs now will at least have a Hope tap. What's annoying is the number of places with fake craft taps - Cute Hoor, Five Lamps, or Sierra Nevada.

I was in the Radisson Blu in D8 a couple of weeks ago for a work junket - asked the barman for a pint of 'Dyflin' (a re-badged Hope), and the only non Diageo/Heineken beer in the place. He wandered down the far end of the bar (where I'd seen the rest of the taps, and there wasn't another IPA!) and came back with a pint of Hophouse 13. "Um - I wanted the IPA?" "We've run out of that. This one has hops too." We were being ushered in to a talk, so it was have that, or nothing. I chose... poorly.

Nope, it an independent little bar, 60km from the brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Butson

Not sure if this is the right thread, but can anybody recommend any good 0.0, low percentage beers from Irish craft brewers?

Thanks.

I don't go out in Dublin often enough, but there's a couple of "famous" pubs that are all macro, with the diageo fakes like the citra ipa. Was at a function in the shelbourne and pleasantly surprised to find Rye River on tap though

Yes, went to the big hotel in Enniscrone a couple of years ago and nothing available tap or bottle! Reel Deel just down the road, as well as the two sligo options. (Reel Deel available in the pubs though!)

If it was really old looking it's JJ Bowles and if more of a gastropub it was the Curragower. Both are great spots and have Treaty but Curragower is almost a restaurant at this stage (was also doing Blue Moon back when that was considered a mind blowing level of craft choice)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The new Hope one is good, if a little expensive. Wicklow Wolf Moonlight is readily available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

If you look down through the forum, you should find the thread dedicated to low/no alcohol beers. I've had the one from Kinnegar and liked it. But I usually go for non Irish ones, as I think they taste better.

Advertisement