Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Leaving my job as a Garda

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 prospect1991

Well to be fair from my point of view it's numerous things on top of work/life balance that's doing it for me. I enjoy certain aspects of the job. I just think there are easier ways to make better money is all I'm saying, and also the fact you're not putting your neck on the line everytime you go to work. I have dealt with death, grief and lots of problems. It's hard when you leave work and can't switch off correctly because you're worried about this job or that job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Unfortunately for any young member, unless they have a relation or 'know someone' who has 'pull' the chances of getting some of those units is very slim to none.

Nepotism and favouritism are still rife in the organisation & while some public may think some Gardai are corrupt, it's nothing to the way management run the force.

And for some reason, the commissioner has one of the biggest forces in recent times, numbers wise, but there are less of them on the streets. I don't know how he managed to do that, but it puts massive pressure on young members.

And one of the biggest changes is everybody is now 'watching their own behinds ' afraid to do anything, just in case something goes wrong. There is no room for mistakes anymore, there is no chance of learning from a mistake. There are no senior members willing to help junior members, just in case they also get into trouble.

The job is good, but I understand anyone leaving, particularly the younger ones, who's salary isn't great & pension is brutal.

OP, maybe get in touch with some of your old army buddies and see what they're doing now? Ex army and ex Gardai are usually easily employed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yeah I've a lot to think about. I do have great senior members who do help me a great deal so I'm lucky in that regard. I wonder would An post be worth a shot ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Was in your shoes many years ago. You'll find there are many in your situation. Many who have left after less than 10 years service. If you aren't happy, get out, there is a whole world of opportunities out there at present, and everywhere is crying out for staff.

Worth getting a dull and boring job first though to "decompress" from being a member (which you were 24/7/365 of course). Great money to be made driving trucks at present if you have the licence. Companies down here can't get people to drive a mixer for 65k a year, and as you know your working hours are limited. I went driving for a year after I left, gave me time to think about where I wanted to be, and here I am now, having spent the last 17 years in the Civil service (it beats working) 🤣.

If you don't think a transfer is going to cure it, consider a career break? That said I know of a member who left, started working in civil service, then went back to AGS. And of course there is always the NZ or Aus option, if you still want to be a polis man/woman.

• Advertisement

Advertisement