Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The discussion of immigration comes up a lot with friends and family these days.

Which lines up with the results of recent polls.

Anyone who is a realist can see we have several crises as it is that are being made worse.

It is not racist for anyone to ask why the government is allowing policies that is making existing crises worse for them.

It's just common sense despite the government and media calling ordinary concerned citizens far right.

They may think this tactic is working but in reality it's just making people angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

• Registered Users Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You make a well argued point and are perfectly entitled to take the view that high net immigration is not necessarily a good thing for Ireland.

However, many would disagree with the idea that strong net immigration can be bad for a country. It is usually a sign of a country, an economy and a society that is doing extremely well - people wouldn't want to move to a depressing kip of a place with few employment prospects. The big question is can you have a booming economy, but not have the strong inward immigration that accompanies it? Many (most?) economists are of the view that one is driving the other i.e. the strong net immigration (including of returning emigrants) is a key driver of economic growth, alongside the other good factors in the economy that are happening.

Another major problem for those opposed to strong net immigration is that the global population is becoming ever more mobile with each passing year. The idea that Ireland could ever return to the monoculture of the 1920s-1980s is unfeasible. 24% of the population of Iceland - a remote and geographically hostile place, previously with the strongest of monocultures - were born abroad. Forcibly trying to stop people from moving here against this new reality seems totally unrealistic - our definition of what it means to be 'Irish' in coming decades is clearly going to change. This change was always coming down the tracks with the arrival of global air travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

It's going to be funny when the far right do terribly at the elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

They will get a few hundred votes like they always do.

Surely you want them to do well considering anyone who disagrees with you is far right.

Them doing terribly will show your logic for what makes someone far right is a load of nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In fairness very few of the 'immigrant-skeptic' posters on here are saying anything positive about the far right or predicting any sort of breakthrough for them in the GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Cutting the tap to immigration suddenly is definitely a way to decrease the wealth of the country as shown in the uk, even the most ardent brexiteers like Farage have acknowledged that. Some failures of the government here like in the uk are unfairly attributed to immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

So will all these men that are coming over in their 100s all create babies with themselves ?

I don’t see many women coming over ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Of the total number of applicants in 2022, 32% were women and 18% were children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's really amazing that Ireland's wealth and economic growth is still used as a valid argument. It would be a valid argument if any of us actually seen some of this wealth, but none of us do. The quality of our lives is plummeting daily, worsening at a rapid speed in nearly every way, yet still we're expected to worship the economy and our supposed growth. If a nation is just an economy, then it is not a nation, as a healthy nation is about far more than just economics. I honestly don't even believe that the people who use such arguments even believe in their own nonsense, yet they use it because it's all they have.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I totally agree that 'society' is much more than an economy and about making money and that a country that prioritised the economy over everything else would be a foolish one.

But the previous monoculture version of Ireland was an unhappy place. Let's not pretend that the one which was almost 100% Irish and 93% Roman Catholic was some sort of a utopia. It was a kip of a place and half a million people left the State between 1945 and 1960 i.e. the Irishness of the state and lack of foreigners was doing nothing for them, certainly nothing to keep them in the country or make them think it was a good place to raise a family.

There's an argument too that the parochial element and inward looking focus of such a society may well have been seen as a huge downside in fact and not a plus - quite a few well known people who left stated they felt the country was too parochial and backward and they wanted to see more of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

Print that off and hand it round the arrivals hall at Dublin airport. Immigrants have no idea how bad it is here.

We're taking in more people than ever, you're also telling us that we need to produce more children. Where exactly will these people live? You admit to governmental failures, yet you also think that they will magically fix everything along the way? It's honestly insane that people can hold so many contradictions at once, yet still come to the table full of righteousness.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

The grass is rarely greener. Old Ireland may not have been rich and certainly had its problems, but I'd trade everything we have now for what we once had. For all our past failures we probably had some of the best societal cohesion and social trust levels of any nation in the world, and that to me is worth far more than money.

I have no faith in the current government to fix anything to be honest. I can only hope that the next government will be better..... although with Sinn Fein being high in the polls, I won't hold my breath.

I'm quite sure that allowing the government to get away with their poor running of the country, by blaming immigrants to this country is not the right angle anyone should be taking.

Reminds me of my mam's neighbour, she said something similar one day.... Ireland was never racist till all these foreigners started coming here.

I for one remember the 70s & 80s and I would take the country we have today, for it's few faults over the country we had then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Absolutely .

So many businesses and services in the UK are suffering because they just don't have the people to do the jobs anymore .

They have certainly reduced unwanted immigration but also very much needed Visa led immigration which is hampering growth in the economy .

One of the main reasons for people not taking up work visas in the UK from EU qualified workers for example , is the pay .

Migrant workers no matter their qualifications are being offered a maximum of 80% of the wages / salaries of their UK counterparts .

So it's not only cheaper labour for the businesses , it is an insult to people whose expertise and qualifications are needed by the British.

Of course it is as a result of Brexit and the narrative of restricting immigrant workers and making it less desirable for people to come to work there .

It is certainly working , but not in the way they envisaged .

Still relying on the tired old "blaming immigrants" argument. Most people lay the blame on the state, as you well know. It's literally been said thousands of times on boards, yet posters like yourself always go back to the same point, as it's all you have.

The modern Irish state is the modern Irish state, every current party would do literally nothing to fix said problems, as they are all the one mind, yet wear different robes. You have the likes of Holly Cairns, who's praised by the dimmest of us for simply pointing to obvious problem, yet I never hear any solutions from her or anyone else.

There's plenty I would do to solve current problems, what about you?

• Advertisement

The fact that you rank things like racism or anti racism so highly on the measuring scale of a good/functional society, say so much about your values.

Most countries driven by the ideology of multiculturism and equality have declined in nearly every other metric. That's not to say that I support discrimination before you land your cheap below, I don't, but some may say that there's far more worrying concerns for people in their daily lives than diversity and inclusion.

Monocultural Ireland probably suited some people but we've moved on and there's no going back now.

Look to the future and make it better for everyone.

This goes without saying really , that quality of life is important , but not that we can ignore the health of our economy at the same time.

Do you think we can all just live on Irishness alone ?

The economy and quality of life are intrinsically linked .

Try telling me or anybody who was trying to get by through the 70s and 80s that the two aren't .

Believe we were all ethnic Irish back then, pretty miserable and couldn't leave the place fast enough !

Our own economy..GDP .. is growing but the corporate sector has shrunk the last two quarters because of world effects and job losses in the tech sector , so technically the country is now in recession . Barely but still it is a fact .

So much money floating around from corporate tax receipts have either been salted away or spent on tinkering around the edges . This money may now have to be used to bail us out with social and affordable housing and services , as should have been done better in the fat years .

Otherwise we will all feel the pain and a lot worse than it is now, you can be guaranteed

It's a total nonsense to say 'leave Ireland's wealth and economic growth ' out of the discussion.

As per my post above , the current situation in the UK is an example of what not to do as regards immigration .

I don't think the average person in the UK is raving about their 'quality of life ' at the present time .

They have literally cut off their nose to spite their face , as predicted by many other countries watching by over the last few years.

There are plenty of ways I would measure a society.

But as you brought it up, I would consider a racist country to be a society I wouldn't like to live in. In fact I wouldn't rate a country where discrimination is openly practised, but I wouldn't expect many people would?

You didn't answer the question btw

Post edited by suvigirl on

If I ran the Irish state we would have never gotten into this mess in the first place. Many, many of us saw this all coming a long time ago, yet the people choose to ignore what was coming, as people often do. Now many of those same people are on these threads complaining about the issue tat they should have seen coming.

Which mess exactly are you referring to though? And how did we arrive at it?

And how do you think it should be fixed

What question? Anti racism exists in multicultural societies, and serves as a tool to continue endless immigration of all sorts of people from all sorts of cultures, with no care for the explosion that will arrive eventually. The anti racist does not care one jot about how far a society falls or crumbles, once they can stand on the ruins and pat themselves on the back for how good they are. We're essentially giving away a high quality life just so some narcissists can feel good about themselves.

You can't even cut down a few trees for a cycle lane. Unless this was a totalitarian dictatorship it would be impossible to solve most problems.

Total bs and laughable . Old Ireland was a grim place where people took pleasure in the small things because that was all they had and that was all the church allowed them to have .

Go on and pull the other one .;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

When to you want to go back to - the 50's, with around half a million Irish people (from an overall population of around 3 million) emigrating throughout the decade?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement