Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Tullamore would be very unfair on Cork supporters. It would actually be worse than CP as most of the journey would be cross country.

Limerick is 80 minutes from a lot of Mayo but still 80-90+ minutes from Cork football heartlands.

As all the games have to be played at the same time I would have considered Tullamore might have been an option for Kerry/Louth. Portlaois or Thurles would be fairer in that fixture.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah it doesn't make sense logistically, Tullamore is about the same distance from far west Cork as Galway so why not have it there?

I say it further. From Limerick I be Galway in less than an hour( ya Salthill would add 30 minutes) but Tullamore is nearly two hours away

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

From Facebook:

Sunday 18th of June

Double header in Tullamore

2:15pm Cork V Mayo

4:00pm Dublin V Sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

There isn’t enough time between the games for that to be accurate for a start

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Don't think capacity would be big enough in tullamore for a double header with Dublin.

My sister sent it into the family group chat.

Dunno what page it's from so I don't know how reliable.

It also had the Sunday 18th as a double header for

Kerry V Louth at 2:15pm and

Kildare V Roscommon at 4pm in Portlaoise

There was just over 8,000 at Kildare V Dublin in Kilkenny.

I can't see them bringing a huge crowd to play sligo. And I can't see much travelling from sligo either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The venue, time etc will be announced tomorrow.

Anyone hazard a guess if our game is likely to be televised on RTE or the dreaded GaGo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

That is why it is vital we finish top. A "home" preliminary in the confines of McHale park against a Tyrone / Monaghan would not be something to look forward to. A QF at CP against those same teams is a different proposition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Its funny, the pitch didn't look half as bad in the flesh, I was amazed when I saw the TV footage.

Hard to know what to make of Sunday, in one way we were leading by 5 points with three minutes of injury time played, we had kept them at arms length for the match, it meant we had the buffer to concede the goal.

The flip side is that a lot of teams now have shown the template to frustrate us, Louth gave up the kick outs and retreated back. We've a bright backroom team so you'd hope they are working hard on this before we come up against Tyrone or Galway but this has been an issue for us for a long time.

I'd expect us to beat Cork, especially in Tullamore or Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Definitely a weird game. We were in control with a 5 point lead with about a minute and a half left and I would have said we got the job done, even though it wasn't pretty.

That said, I felt we were laborious at times and scuffed goal chances yet again (we seriously need to work on this, it will be the difference between winning and losing a big game yet). The lack of shots from distance too is a concern. Nobody seemed too confident on that front and there was a lot of lateral, dull play.

The goal concession was a very silly lapse in concentration. I thought it was one of Reape's poorer games in terms of his positioning at times. Jordan Flynn really struggled to get into it too and was coughing up a lot of possession. Sideline was a little slow making changes too imo, we needed the injection of pace sooner given the shape the game took.

All in all, nothing much to be excited about, even though we still got the win Still lots to work on. Other teams are definitely going to play to this template against us down the line so we really need to start using our imaginations a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Was just going to post my thoughts, but you've summed them up there.

1. Too lateral playing along the 45 against a blanket.

2. Nobody to take on the long shots.

3. No working the ball inside, and when we did, a fisted point was taken rather than going for goals.

I don't think we have that player to be taking on long points consistently, so we better start getting a bit more adventurous and trying to work the ball inside. I was extremely impressed with the way Derry set out to work it inside and go for goals vs Donegal.

A couple of goals goes an awful long way to winning a big match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Very surprised if its Tullamore. Pretty sure it'll be Limerick, 1pm throw in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I'd have expected it to be in Ennis, that's where we've usually played Cork and even a glance at the map shows it as being roughly halfway. The smaller ground there would make for a much better atmosphere than having it in Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Ennis would be great, small tight venue with a full house, be a good atmosphere but no it'll be Limerick with a half empty stadium or worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

When is venue being announced?

Listened to half of the Ah Ref pod over the weekend, yer man Colm McNally is some bluffer:

"what advice would you have for Mayo this weekend"

"I think they should just get rid of the hype"

Lord Jesus, it's the kind of shite Spillane would have come out with 20 years ago and it was pure scutter even back then 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Genuine question - who is Colm McNally. I did a quick google. I saw his name popping up in a few hits, but no background on who he played for.

I don't see any hype. I see ups after some nice wins, and then downs after a bad performance, and then ups again and so. And a nice excitement building, as the Championship progresses. At this stage, we all know that if Mayo get a win or a draw against Cork, they will top the group. And that will bring us straight into the last 8. It's not hype, It's jut hope and excitement. Nothing wrong with that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

apparently jersey launches are hype according to the lad.

that podcast is good at times but it’s starting to sound like the one of lads are taking themselves awful serious, they seem to have a very high view of their own opinions at times.

Think it was the first podcast of theirs that I gave up on half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

The 4 Cork supporters will be grand, they'll all be coming in the same car

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

coached Meath and a few others. He made alot of sense on the podcast, except for that comment on hype which was like something a 12 year old would say in the early 90s. Its as dead as "Meath never give up"

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

You hear those digs all the time in fairness. During the league was bizarre. We win a game and the first question McStay gets asked afterwards is how can a lid be kept on everything?! Moyles on off the ball every week was saying the same thing about Mayo need to be careful about getting carried away.

Nobody can give an example of this hype however!

Then we lose to Roscommon and apparently their manager reckons they were being disrespected beforehand! It's mad the nonsense people will make up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Apparently having flags up (which they tend to be up all year around) is “hype” too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

There are not many footballers who can bang a ball over the bar from distance. I think others are afraid they will have this in their stats if they miss. Its all about possession now and getting the correct man in the correct position to fire it over the bar. Its all calculated risk now and this is starting to make the game very disappointing to watch. The crack Louth were at... well that is another level and I hope they never win anything playing that rubbish.

Paddy Durcan came in and basically fired over a shot after taking on two/three guys. He had enough of this pissing around with the ball(some call it lateral playing!!), well that is what I took from what he did. We need to open teams who play this game early on to make them play ball. Carr's pass to Oshea was dreadful and it would have opened up the game if O'Shea nailed it.

I expect Cork to play something similiar but not as negative. We always struggle with Cork so I think this game is not a formality. I must admit and I thought his day was done, but O'Shea has been brilliant todate, but the real football comes from once we get to the last eight. I wouldn't be overall concerned with our display last sunday as it would be harder to get excited about Louth and the heat of the day would be energy sapping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

There was a brilliant atmosphere in the GG in 2017 v Cork and there was only 10k at it (all from Mayo)

One of the best atmospheres I remember with Mayo!

I'd be happy with any of Ennis,Limerick or Tullamore.

• Advertisement

Limerick it is, Kerry Louth is in O'Moore Park. Both are 2 pm kickoff.

Looks like the TV games on the Sunday will be Mayo/Cork and Galway/Armagh at 4 pm

Slava Ukrainii

I didn't mean that in a negative way, there are indeed very few forwards in the country that can do it. It just that we don't have one.

I get the impression that McStay is less about the stats / gives the players a bit more encouragement and freedom. So I don't think it's a fear thing. I think it's something we need to put the work in on in terms of patterns of play.

We do need to open teams up but running into a good blanket defense doesn't work all that often, not if they're doing it right. Some teams have shown how you can (hand or short kick) pass into a packed defence and unlock it. Derry did it very well at the weekend where they overloaded one side, got the ball in close to goal and then switched to the other side where there was space created... We weren't making those kind of movements at all. It was over and back the 45 for far too long.

Apologise for leading y'all down the Tullamore rabbit hole, blame Willie Joe. I see Kildare Roscommon is going to be there, thought that might be the other leg of the 'double header', certainly makes more sense as the venue for that clash.

Limerick is a more logical venue for Cork-Mayo, although it obviously suits them better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

There was a few Cork lads giving it the bitter “I hope ye f*ckers are thrashed next day out” etc etc as I was leaving that day. Almost as if they were goading lads to react. And they weren’t young lads either. As toxic as I have seen from opposing supporters. Nearly as bad as some of our lads leaving the same venue 3 years earlier.

Limerick is a fair enough location although I doubt it'll be a great atmosphere in such a big stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Well fuppit anyway....a Mayo game on my doorstep but I'll be in France for it 🙈

Anyway I guess most people are familiar with the place after recent visits but feel free to fire questions my way.

I'd advise parking in the Jetland, and if the weather is anyway half decent head for the open stand...been at a bunch of games this year and the Mackey Stand is not a good place to watch a match from...poles restricting views and if someone over 6ft sits in the row in front, you won't see a thing.

Was in the open stand for the Lim v Cork game the other week and it was a zillion times better

Poles restricting views... Practically a home game so.

All that's missing is the concrete benches 🫤

The design of the Mackey Stand is appalling...JP poured millions into the stadium a few years back but neglected to add any elevation to the stand.

And it's cold in there no matter what the weather so layer up

JP has nothing to do with that stand. The new seated area accross the way was build 15-20 years ago but they could not get planning for a stand there

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

My experience of the Mackey stand is that the elevation isn't good and there are some poles but the noise that can be generated in there is something else.

See Mayo v Cork in 2017 and Mayo v Galway in 2019.

Without wishing to go too off topic, I think the main redevelopment was in the Ennis Rd terrace area about 15-20 years ago

My point was that the Mackey Stand is a shambles so a bit of investment wouldn't go astray. If it's not lashing rain the open stand is way better and about €10 cheaper a ticket for big games

Anthony moyles made an interesting point on OTB, that you need speed in the half back line when you're up against a blanket defence, people to break the line. Would be worth considering a HB line of Durcan, Hession and Callinan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I think you have to mix it tbh. if they break down on an attack be able to attack at speed or be able to hit long fast ball, switch play fast accross to the other side, guys who can kick from distance etc. I don't think one tactic works accross the board.

What kills a team trying to break the defensive systems is slow play and lateral hand passing accross the pitch with no threat. Miss a few shots for scores and the whole issue is componded, start making bad decisions around taking the ball into the tackle, dropped balls for the runners off the shoulder etc. This gives defensive teams belief that they can win. Louth on sunday know they were never good enough so deployed this tactic and bring you down to that level. It really tests your drive to win, resolve etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't think that is ground-breaking insight. It was already a given that speedy half backs are required if trying the running game against the blanket.

But it takes more than speed. You need a half back that has confidence to really want the ball in that type of a situation. You can see some players make a half-ass attempt around the goals to call for the ball - the type of call where they want to be seen to be looking for it, but in reality they don't want the responsibilities that go with it. I don't just mean Mayo by the way.

That half-back would also need to be be proficient in terms of kicking a point from 30 yards out, and under a bit of pressure. If the half back is breaking the line, and taking a pass, a lot of the time they will end up out around 30 meters out, with opposition closing in on them. They will need to be able to compose themselves and quickly kick accurately for a score, like what Paddy Durkin did when he came on on Sunday. That is far easier said than done of course. And if they are not going to shoot, they need massive composure to lay off a pass to a teammate in better position, when they are about to be surrounded by the defenders.

I think the above rules out Sam Callinan from that. I think he is too young and inexperienced for taking on those responsibilities, and would get dispossessed. Enda Hession has developed at it in the last while, and is a lot more confident on the ball. At least he would ask some questions of defenders. Paddy Durkin is the man alright - he has the appropriate tools to carry out that role.

There were many times on Sunday where Aidan was making the run from the oppositions goal out towards the ball, and holding off the defender on him. An outlet would be to dink it into him - it would only be a 25 yard pass or so. Or even better, if it was kicked in properly and purposefully, he could take a mark. But every time the player with the ball would put the head down, and play it back out again for the lateral passing across the '45. Not enough use is made of the mark to beat the blanket.

Watched bits of the minors earlier, well beaten by a better team

• Advertisement

I'd say they were fairly disappointed with their showing. They never really got into it at all, even when leading early on, Monaghan were still on top.

Was back at Knockmore v Garrymore at the weekend, entertaining enough match, draw was probably a fair result although Garrymore hit some shocking wides and Knockmore were two points up going into injury time so both probably felt it was there for the winning.

Knockmore going well, missing the four county lads, Conall Dempsey, Sean Holmes and Pearse Rutledge all off to the US for the summer, they look like they have serious strength in depth. Second team going well in Division 3.

Talking to some of the Ballina lads they think that's where they are short, good 15/16 players but then falls off a cliff

Great to have that momentum / strength in depth within the club. Things seem to be very much going the other way in Breaffy.

How are the likes of Dempsey and Holmes progressing? Could you see them breaking into county in a meaningful way in the next year or so?

Pearse Hanley is the one to watch, phenomenal athlete, great high fielder and can take a score, he's been unreal any time I've seen him, he had a while training with the county earlier this year as part of the extended panel and it looks to have stood to him big time. Reminds me of Diarmuid O'Connor.

I wasn't at the Claremorris cup match but from talking to a couple of the players Orme came back flying, he has gone off the radar completely for Mayo but it sounds like the experience with Mayo will stand to him.

I'm working with a ballintubber lad who'd have been involved previously, hes very pessimistic, thinks the standard of player coming through isn't a patch on what has gone before, so probably not great when Breaffy are losing to them. Has Conor O'Shea transferred away?

There seems to be trouble in the Castlebar camp too between the 1st and 2nd team, players not being released by Barry Moran, can't be a good thing in the long run for them

I'd say Breaffy are in a similar spot to Balintubber, there doesn't seem to be the players coming through at the moment. It shouldn't really be a problem for Breaffy seeing the huge numbers now at underage, Balintubber wouldn't have seen that influx. Conor O'Shea has missed a few matches recently but he's still there.

Hadn't heard too much about trouble in Mitchel's but I'd say that's a hard balancing act there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement