Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riparian buffer any advice

Options
  • 05-06-2023 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi,

Tier 1 applicant for acres so not picked optional measures yet.

Was thinking of selecting a riparian buffer around water course, some streams some rivers. Roughly 2km long.

Any advice here?

Either do it 1.5 m out and let it go wild. Or widen it enough to drive tractor and topper back along it.

Also was thinking of doing clipex fencing. Is this allowed?

Anyone any experience with riparian buffers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

A lot depends on the ground conditions and soil type. The 1.5m is handy as you can let the hedge cutter trim behind the wire. 3 metres strips could get a run of a topper or mulcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

Stick at 1.5m cut under with the hedge cutter or topper. Otherwise you have to stay way out to drive a tractor and topper along the river. Also topping is permitted but cannot take place between 1 March and the 31 August. Ie hedge cutting season only.

Clipex would fine

Yes they are a pain in the hole to maintain especially if you use electric wire

3m not wide enough to safely drive a tractor and topper in IMO. Bank of my river steep and could give way especially if 4 or 5 tonnes of tractor going along it. If you go down that line choose the 6m margin. Also guess depends on river. Mine not one want to end up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭irishguy19772

Great. Stick to 1.5 m so and drive tractor along under. 1 strand of clipex enough?

Thanks for all the advice.

Looks like it is going the way of cattle no longer drinking from streams so presume I should just set up a couple of pasture pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Has to be two strands of electric wire for riparian zones afaik and no access for cattle.

• Advertisement

"Erect a permanent fence"

Only thing I can see in the terms and conditions. Pretty sure single strand fine. Just has to be no stock going under so keep it low enough to keep calves out if have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭irishguy19772

Cool. A single strand on clipex fence low enough to keep out calves 1.5 m out from river sounds good so. Can speak to advisor once she comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Nope -

10. The Riparian buffer strip(s) and zone(s) must be fenced off and stock proof for the

duration of the contract to exclude all livestock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

I have two hectares of a riparian zone here, asked my planner about the fencing and he said if using electric fence it has to be two rows, maybe it’s different if it’s only 1.5 metres of a zone, he’s seldom wrong in my experience with him.

• Advertisement

I have single and they can jog on if they give me any grief if not in the terms that is their problem. Had couple of issues over the years and sucessfully appealed them. See another point in the terns is "The use of heavy machinery should be avoided within 2 metres of the bank."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I would go with a permanent fence at least 2.5m out - riparian vegetation is one of the best ways of slowing down/reducing nutrient loss to water bodies and I can see it becoming a mandatory provision in the next CAP. Also plays an import part in significantly reducing erosion issues too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

As quoted above - Ripirian Buffer Strips/Zones in point 10 of the specifications state:

"10. The Riparian buffer strip(s) and zone(s) must be fenced off and stock proof for the duration of the contract to exclude all livestock"

AFAIK there are no indications as to what "stock proof" fencing means but we have fenced our Ripirian buffer zone with three row of barbed wire and a six bar gate as an enterance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

In dero and have to keep fence out 1.5m from water courses, other lads get paid to do it then....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

where do you measure from? Is it literally stand on bank and step it out?

Top of bank and kind of add a bit for safety all mine is 2 m plus but claim for 1.5.

Advertisement