Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Happy birthday to The Rock who celebrates by falling out of a hammock 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lesnar has appeared on all PPVs so far this year and that will set to continue for night of champions.

Why is he around more now than when he was champion?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And around more than the champion.

Like the promo for this week's Smackdown said Reigns returns to Smackdown for the first time since Mania. I didn't realise he had been away so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Doubt it but would love him to appear at MITB in London. Prob 2002/2003 was the last time he appeared at a UK/European wwe show

Think his last appearance was on the Raw after Mania

• Advertisement

Watching RoH and Christopher Daniels doing the BME reminded me that Tiffany Stratton does it as well in NXT. Though not sure if Daniels was the one who came up with the movem and think Tiffany uses the bottom rope, while Daniels starts at the middle.

So was wondering is there any kind of rule around using someone else's finisher like that?

Just don't see a connection between Tiffany and Daniels that she would ask him or maybe someone asked on her behalf. Same with when Michelle McCool started using the Styles Clash. Or the Usos using the 3D. I guess they had D-Von backstage to give his blessing, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The general unwritten rule in wrestling is that you do not use another wrestlers finisher or trademark moves IF you are in the same promotion. If not then it's typically all fair game.

Of course wrestlers have been known to ask, especially if they know each other but you dont have to.

Take Bret Hart. Pat Patterson asked him to use the sharpshooter as a finish. He didn't ask Sting for permission (who was using it first) interestingly enough it was Konnan who showed him to put it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Tiffany Stratton has the best moonsault in wrestling. She'll be a big star for WWE.

Ireland should have another big name down the road with Lyra Valkyria. We definitely punch above our weight when it comes to wrestling.

Post edited by J. Marston on

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Stardom has been and is the most influential wrestling promotion in the world for the last few years!

With it being PRIDE month and since companies love to show how LGBTQ+ friendly they are for the month, will Sonya start to get a bit of a push as WWE's best known out wrestler? Or will we get video packages like with Black History and Latino Heritage months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Random one for sure. So I'm having the absolute worst luck at the moment, yesterday a huge pipe burst above my apartment destroying everything in my place - guitars, records, lego, wrestling figs not to mention all of my electronics. At least 150k of damage to the place overall. Well I have insurance through State Farm, an AEW sponsor. Switched to them this year based on Tony Schiavone's genuine sounding shill on the podcasts 😅. And well Jesus they're amazing - have put me up in a new apartment in a few hours notice and are covering everything cost wise for repairs etc. So living rent free for the next while which is nice chunk of change here in Seattle - thanks Schiavone!

So have the old WWF/E World Heavyweight title and The old World Heavyweight title been retired now.

Is Seth's a new World heavyweight title a non canon inaugural title?

Is Roman's new Universal title only canon to the former Universal title that only canon wise goes back to 2016 Finn Balor being inaugural champion and Roman is now only a 4 day reigning champion.

WWE really know how to muddle a simple thing.

I would love to see AEW move All Out to Europe now at ALL In has shown the demand for wrestling.

They could move to Europe for 3 weeks at the end of the summer each year and do house shows around Europe and and finish the tour with an All In on a Saturday and ALL Out on a Sunday and made this there version of a Wrestlemania Week for the European Market.

Its really good time for us European/UK wrestling fans. Big shows happening on the continent and with the demand no excuse not make these events yearly

Expensive hobby

I think they acknowledged the likes of Flair holding the title Seth now holds.

As for Roman, if it was a different title would that mean the counter is set to 1 day as champ?

But the question is how many of those Wembley tickets were sold to non UK residents since it wouldn't be coming to Europe or Ireland? If they had multiple events in Europe, there's a chance of smaller numbers at each venue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I wish WWE did a version of WCW lethal lottery tag tournament where two wrestlers are randomly drawn as a tag team and the winning team faces off for a title match.

Beats the usual beat the clock or contenders match bs they usually do.

TNA/Impact did that a couple of times I think.

Speaking of, they're doing an idea I haven't seen before, though it probably appeared somewhere. 8-4-1. Starts off with 4v4 then the winning team takes part in a fatal four way to determine the new number 1 contender. Both teams are a mix of heels and faces.

Never heard of that concept

Sounds pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭ThePott

If you look at the section on the site the Undisputed Title is still carrying the lineage of the Universal and the WWE championship just combined as one belt.

My guess would be that once Roman loses, they'll retire the Universal title and this will go back to being the WWE Championship and carry that lineage still, maybe that's why they're keeping it big and gold so they can try give it a more classic look.

Definitely convoluted though, title should have been split off ages ago. Roman doesn't even necessarily need the belt(s) for the Bloodline story really.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,876 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just seeing a YouTube clip from cornettes podcast and they read ryback tweets and the guy is utterly **** unhinged.

• Advertisement

Is the UFC taking a page out of its new companies sports entertainment play book.

Put your opponent threw the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Had an amazing show on Friday! Place was electric and all the wrestlers were super cool. An after party with bands and wrestlers is as wild as you'd expect also! Next big show is October but planning a few in between and looking to expand to other states also based on the success so far.

If anyone here is over this direction for any of the shows let me know and I'll happily guest list you. Working on some more AEW names for upcoming shows and the scouting of lesser known talent has been working well too, Koto Hiro was amazing and will def blow up in the coming months, have already been onto bigger promotions to book him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm just gonna say it - I enjoyed the Brawl for All when it happened and, with the rise of these so-called crossover boxing events, I think WWE was just 20 years too early with the concept. If you had the same concept with a bit more fanfare and training for the participants, it would do good business. I'm not saying it should happen, what with the injury risk and so on, but people would tune in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Wasn't gonna bump the predictions thread so I shall post this here, but I reckon at some point in the future there is going to be a tax scandal with famous wrestlers.

We all know the deal that wrestlers in wwe are independent contractors but if you look towards the world of acting, many set up corporations to pay hardly anything in tax.

Jimmy Carr got slated for his tax avoidance scheme and it became a scandal. I just wouldn't be surprised to hear in the future that someone like John Cena earned 10 million in 2015 but through loop holes only paid 200k or something lol.

I'm of the stance that if you can get away with then why not. It's just something tells me at some point there will be a scandal.

Came across this today.

32 years ago today in USWA.

Samu vs Rob Zakowski aka Sabu vs. RVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,876 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

25 years ago today Goldberg beat hogan in the Georgia dome to win the WCW heavyweight title.

The mid/late 90s was a great time for guys like Goldberg in pro wrestling

Jacked guy beating up everyone he faced and no gimmicks or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Jacked guy beating up everyone he faced

Apologies if my irony detector is on the fritz but that was literally the gimmick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"Guys like Goldberg" is an interesting choice of wording. Who else was there like him with his level of success?

Advertisement