Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Or how about the 80's when 450,000 emigrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And I recall those days well and quite disagree with yiu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

That is disgraceful. Local politicians do appear to be running away from the issue.

This was a swell time according to some. It is the sort of blinkered nostalgia that held the state back in the early days and under De Valera. For those of us who had family members forced to emigrate and especially when flights were so expensive you couldnt visit them that at all that point of view is just baffling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

Is it blinkered though? it is possible yknow for people to have different experiences - the contrasting experience can simply differ from yours. Some growing up in the 70s/80s had great childhoods - mine being one. Its always curious those that are continuously disparaging of their childhood memories and beyond of living in Ireland remain living here and are so invested, despite a very evident disdain, that they continue to visit an Irish forum discussing Irish topics. Anyone I know who disliked Ireland left and didn't look back - they're certainly not hanging around still giving out about the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Having a great childhood and being able to see the past for what is was, isn't mutually exclusive.

Much of societal issues doesn't touch children's lives, they are very sheltered from what goes on in the adult world.

Being able to criticize things that happened in the past, doesn't mean people dislike Ireland, that's a very childish view.

We're not talking about childhood memories. We're talking about the state of the economy and the 450,000 had no option but to emigrate. Every house on the road I grew up on has a least one of their there kids living abroad and some much more than one.

I fail to see any genuine affinity with a country from a poster who casually disregards an entire ethnicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Disregards? You may have to explain. I don't disregard people, no matter what their ethnicity or nationality.

• Advertisement

I had a good childhood in the eighties but for a lot of adults it was terrible time with high inflation and unemployment. By any metric it was a hard time to be in ireland. I just find it odd that anyone would want a similar economic situation to be occuring in ireland or have a society that had no abortion rights, poor treatment of gays, no divorce, catholic church stranglehold on society. If you think that was a grand old time perhaps these issues like emigration didnt affect you.

this feeble baiting is tiresome - never referenced any of the above issues you spout. My suggestion is, and what many have done, is leave an environment they clearly have troubling memories of and seek a life in a preferred environment. Remaining in the setting which provokes negative memories and remaining invested is never healthy for ones mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Its a good thing that people didnt do that and actually changed the country for the better. They campaigned for a lot of rights that some seem to be taking for granted now. But this is totally off topic so I wont labour the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

society that had no abortion rights, poor treatment of gays, no divorce, catholic church stranglehold on society

Instead we get a society where most of our youth will never own homes, high rates of depression of other mental illnesses, broken communities, broken family units, rising crime and many other negatives. Everything really seems to come back to the Catholic Church with people like yourself. It's an almost irritational hatred of all things Catholic. The Church did indeed commit many evils, but there were many positive elements to society that came with religion. Every good society needs a sound moral base that we all buy into, and said base has often come from religion. Secular society is an new experiment, and experiment that I honestly struggle to see many positives emerging from. Gay rights, abortion, and any other form of modern "progress" that people like yourself cling onto as the best of our new world, are a hard sell to some of us, as these things do not enhance the lives of the majority, and often come with many of their own problems.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I think alot of women would be of the opinion that the positive elements of a society built upon the values of that particular religion werent worth it. The catholic church limited access to divorce, contraception and abortion, so it actively limited the rights of women. The church(and the states) treatment of unmarried women was also pretty disgraceful. If your society is actively limiting the rights of at least half the population (women and gays), then it has serious problems. immigration is certainly a challenging problem now but lets not get nostalgic about our past.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Well it's kinda to be expected. If you're a local TD, you like to receive compliments on what a great job you're doing etc etc.

The ones that question government policy, ask you awkward questions - you just ignore and disregard them.

When the criticism gets to you eventually, then you just lump all with the 'far right' and make vague mutterings.

But an unanswered letter/ email whatever still has an effect. They know next time they come looking for a vote, the memory of that lingers and they're going to be screwed.

The cute ones answer or get their office staff to answer, sympathise and give a non committal reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

What are you saying here? Because we don't agree with your rosy viewpoint that means we are not entitled to post here?

I grew up very happily and have many lovely memories , but it is as a young adult I noticed the deficits in this rosy view of our country.

We made the best of it, but it wasn't affluent or enriching in most senses of the word

Considering most peoples' recollection of the 70s and 80s was a country rife with unemployment, inequality, nepotism and corruption , and now as we know also sexual and child abuse,among religious, I would think your post came from a very singular position or you are taking the proverbial and wasn't alive then !

Like where were you??

Think maybe you were one of the religious yourself or closely affiliated by your posts.. or were too young to remember that time.

I guess if you were from a privileged background or enjoyed being told what to do and how to live your life endlessly by middle aged men , you could support that type of society?

Most of us that could, did come back when things improved. Worked hard, reared our families paid our taxes..

And have as much right to talk about our country as you or any other. On any forum.

We lobbied and voted to change our country into the open successful country it is today.

This is the country our children and you benefit from. But it is not perfect, yet, I agree.

Far from denigrating returned emigrants who are outspoken most are glad to welcome home people who are not just passive passengers in society who doffed their hats or genuflected to those in charge or dog collars.

Especially those that stayed home because for some reason, family / economics, they didn't leave and had to struggle through the mire of conservatism and begrudgery that faced them everyday.

I know so many who were depressed, suffered abuse and were villified becsuse they didn't fit the mold, but couldn't leave because of family commitments.

Those that left were surprised and delighted to be treated with respect for their education and their enthusiasm, having been doscouraged and held back in this country, and rewarded for it well. They gave as much to their adopted countries and more.

This is the reason why the Irish emigrants are valued and respected, all over the world as open, industrious, friendly and enjoy life.

Do you think some of the posters expressing xenophobic and blinkered views would be acceptable or welcome in any modern country, except maybe those under authoritarian rule? And lets face it, they don't want them either!

So thank you for this post.

It sets out very clearly why many parts of our country need to open up and let new people in, and why some people need to get out and travel a bit, and see how others live , more than anything else!

@Liath Luachra and if you are fed up of feeble baiting I suggest maybe not posting feeble baiting posts like the one I quoted above.

That is trolling.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Genuine question - what modern country would you like Ireland to emulate?

I'm we'll happy with modern "progress".

Feck I'm a smoker and love not smoking in pubs.

Gays...no different to me, apart from sexuality. Is it just me or when homosexuality is mentioned it seems to point at males?

Ireland of the 1950s but zoomed forward in time 😉

This is the problem with many on boards, then don't understand what should be obvious. My posts are clearly anti modernist, so how exactly could I show you a modern country that's anti modernist?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

The person I replied to mentioned gays, I simply responded. Most people know more gay people than lesbians though, so it makes sense.

I have genuinely never heard of anti modernism before. What time period and in what country do you think society was at its best?

Being "anti-modernist" is a totally futile position to take. It's real Old Man Yells at Cloud stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I can't seem to find my post in response earlier unless I am overlooking.

These women and children must be fighting the wars these men are fleeing from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I would like Ireland to be like it was in the 90s, 00s, even the 10s tbh… all anyone seems to talk about on this thread is how bleak things were in Ireland from 1950-1980s, but seem to be forgetting Ireland had a great 20 years or so since that. Sadly though, every passing year since the turn of the decade it’s becoming even more apparent that for a supposedly rich country, we’re getting poorer in so many ways. It’s sad to see the decline.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement