Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I was just walking up to this club house the other day and was thinking to myself that the place is the most majestic golf clubhouse I've ever seen (close run thing with Sawgrass). But you can see and feel the history of this place which gives it the edge. The red tiles on the roof the beautiful gardens, the glorious shrubs, everything manicured to perfection.

I only went in as far as the pro shop so didn't get to have a good nose around but it really feels like a special place.

This picture doesn't do it justice, it's way better when you are standing there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Portsalon is every bit as far but well worth the visit. I think it's the best course in Donegal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You can only use the proshop and visitor lockers, rest of the clubhouse is for members only so you would not have got in

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

What’s the green fees for carne? I’ll be staying outside Westport in two weeks and would like to play it if it’s reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sausages14

I paid EUR 90 to play 27 holes there a few weeks ago. Was booked a few months ago now. GUI rate

• Advertisement

Grand thanks I’ll give them a ring next week when I know what days I’m looking to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Back from a lap of Sligo over the weekend. Did a similar trip 8-9 years ago so it was nice to refresh the brain, especially in what was quite gentle playing conditions.

Rosses Point was incredible, indeed better than I remembered it. It’s a longer walk than I thought, but every hole from 3-17 is a gem in its own right, and the conditioning, while not quite RCD / Portrush levels, was exemplary. The new 3rd hole is a brilliant excuse to let rip at the sea, and the par 3s are each wonderful visual delights. It’s quirky enough in places but always felt fair. 

Enniscrone beat me up something rotten. I lost my swing for a few holes, and when I recovered things, it just seemed to fuel bad bounces and punitive lies throughout the back 9. So it’s pretty much the same impression I had from before, that’s it’s a treat to play such a an unusual layout, but it’s simply too unforgiving, dare I say traumatic, to be a course that I’d wish to return to more than once a decade. The thought of a monthly medal there makes me shudder. The queues around holes 12 and 13 would surely stretch to days.The conditioning was a clear step below Co Sligo; Enniscrone just looks and feels like it endures more traffic.

We concluded at Strandhill, which is just an absolute pleasure and among my most favourite courses on the island. The middle of each nine delivers some of the most fun golf imaginable. This was my first time playing off the (full length) white tees and it is more challenging - the 3rd, 6th and 18th holes in particular have a completely different feel with those extra 50-60 yards to contend with. The 6th retains its spot among the best holes I’ve played…. even though it robbed me off a ball today. 

West of Ireland folk are just the nicest people. So welcoming.

Final observation. Rosses Point is pretty forgiving off the tee and would be a second shot course. Strandhill to me is mostly about what you do off the tee, whether it’s navigating doglegs, missing bunkers, avoiding heavy stuff. Do that and the majority of greens are large and inviting; to the point that I putted from 80 yards and 70 yards today. For Enniscrone though, on a large number of holes, the first shot has to be both long and and on target (and sometimes lucky too) to have any chance of taking on the green. And even if you manage that, the bunkers, plateaus, dunes and false fronts mean you’ll rarely have a clear line for a ground game with your second. It’s just a much tougher test. Yet the yellow tees on it, at 6,500 yards, is rated 117, whilst the white courses on the other pair are rated 122. Whoever came up with that variance needs punished. They need to play Enniscrone 12 and 13 in a medal lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Interesting….I think 13 is one of the simplest holes! Mid iron and wedge, I think I’ve played it 4 times and have 3 pars and a bogey, I’m 11.3 atm.

I find the 11th much harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It's interesting, and completely alien to me, but I golf with a few low single digit golfers and when they're striking it well, they'll generally score better around Enniscrone than Rosses Point.

For me, Enniscrone is much much more likely to beat me up but for those guys, who play it fairly regularly, they find themselves with a fair few more birdie opportunities / find it a bit easier to save pars... once they're striking it well that is. I've seen them play very well around Rosses and just struggle to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Yeah would agree with PARlance, if you can get off the tee in enniscrone plenty of scoring chances. Most par 5s reachable, 4th maybe not would be a v good digs. Also think the slope should be higher there but same as most links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Played the Island today. Lovely sunny day with a steady breeze. It's a great course but I found it very tough. Struggled to keep the ball on the fairway on a few holes but chipping and putting really hard to get the pace right.

5 hours for our fourball without anyone holding us up. Don't think I'd like links golf as my regular Sunday game throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great course ..maybe today lots of visitors? And that would slow it up ...but with experience I've realised most top Links courses are too hard and a long slog to be an actual member..

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

That’s pretty much how I felt Billy.

i thought the course was extraordinary, a true visual delight. Reaching the plateau after hole 1 and seeing what’s coming ahead was a proper sensory overload.

But it’s cruel to good shots and thoroughly unforgiving of poor ones. I just don’t have the technique or control to put myself through that test of golf on even a semi regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Must admit I agree. Played a monthly medal on Sunday on one of the lesser-known links. God, it was brutal. 5 hours and at least an hour of it looking for balls that really didn't seem to be in trouble. Dry as a bone and crazy bounces. Magnificent setting but so unforgiving .. and random. Good shots punished and bad shots obliterated. Not sure what the solution is. Competitively, the object seems to be to avoid disasters. Not sure that's the sort of golf I want to play.

The Island is absolutely phenomenal but a seriously demanding track. People talk about the European Club being a beast but I’d rank The Island as being equal to if not more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Would agree with this, found the European more scorable especially back 9. A bit more space off the tee from what I recall but been a few years since i've played. Island is a first shot golf course, if you can get off the tee there's scoring chances. I don't think it's cruel to good shots as mentioned above

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Big run on the ball in this weather, links fairways will be harder to hold, a perfect middle of the fairway drive could well find the rough on a long run out

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭blue note

Yep. Incredibly frustrating. Especially on a blind drive. You could have a perfect drive and it bounce into the rough and you don't even know which side to look on.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

First time playing Old Head on Tuesday. We lucked out so good with the weather. Some day. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

whats a picture of old head doing on the links thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

Thought we would have some more "imposters" on here over the last few weeks tbh, some of the (parkland) fairways are burnt to a crisp, very brown in places.

Our tee boxes also, apparently the well went dry at our place and the greens keeping team had to limit it to just the greens being watered.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Played it about two years ago in similar weather. They were doing a discounted rate at the tail end of Covid.

Loved everything about the course, it was brilliant. One of my favourite courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Beat me to the punch with a Links Fail post 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Have'nt a clue but say its in Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

Not sure I'd have heard of it but based on the Pics and a bit of Dective work I'd say Mulranny

(Flag was the best Clue)

Ha, how'd you figure it with the flag, thought it being bent over would hide it was a 9 hole

What did you think of it Dan? A course I've played an awful lot.

• Advertisement

I tee'd off at 6pm so it was pretty quiet, I'd imagine if it was packed it would be backed up and dangerous enough.

Having said that I really enjoyed the round. It was only 15 minutes from where I was staying but being a 9 hole I dismissed it initially,but being unable to get a round in Carne I played it on the last evening there.

The "clubhouse" being a few portacabins reinforced my initial thoughts but I had to go in the back to find someone to give me a tag and there's this charming little dining area hidden in the last one. First time I've ever thought that about anything on a golf course but if I had to use one word that would be it.

The double tee boxes,the fenced off greens,the sheep,the views really made it feel homely. In one picture you can see the green with the fence surrounding it with its little gate and in the background there's a farmer herding cattle beside an old stone wall, it was so typically what a US visitor thinks of the west I had to laugh.

Greens were playable speed if slow for me but pretty true. The same can be said for the length, pretty short but fine for me, not often I have to club down for a par5 and hit lob wedges and gap wedges into some par4's. Really enjoyed it, not often I'd write more than a sentence about a course so I guess that speaks for it alone.

Advertisement