Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over 70s GP visit card and charged for blood test

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do you expect the private courier to work for free, or you you expect the doctor to fund it from his pocket? Not clear what you're getting at here.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not one of the links you've offered discuss the point you've raised about GP'S paying for Bloods to be sent for testing.

Not only does my own GP surgery use a Service provided for by the HSE, the practice nurse confirmed this to me just last week. Infact I had to have bloods done in advance of collection time.

Wether all GP surgeries use this service, I can't say but regardless, they have contracts with the HSE to cover the costs of Seeing MC patients.

This charging for transportation of bloods is a red herring.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've also met the courier contracted out to the HSE to collect bloods for testing from my GP Surgery

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your surgery.

There is no national service for this. Your anecdote isn't applicable nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I wouldn't describe my GP as 'scum' either. He has always been professional, nothing scummy about him at all. If the surgery is a long distance from the hospital then they may well use a courier and of course that has to be paid for, but to pay my GP €30 when the hospital is merely a 10 min drive, would any of the staff deliver it themselves? Now surgery staff might be shocked and appalled to hear me suggest that but I only base that on my own working experience (before I retired) of delivering parcels and post to the post office centre which was way out of my way but just something office staff took for granted they had to do. Am I asking the impossible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I appreciate what you are saying but we live in an entirely different world now.

Whatever about one of the people in the office dropping off the post at the post office on the way home, it would be an entirely different thing dropping of bodily samples. A matter of life and death you could say, so just not a goer. The insurance and GDPR concerns alone would knock this on the head.

Yes, a different world all right. Would you say GDPR and insurance view a random taxi driver or courier as a better option than a member of the surgery staff who we already trust with our intimate medical details?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭hawthorne

A random taxi driver is a bad choice as well. If you want your blood sample arrive safe and sound in the lab, you need to pay! Pay peanuts- and you get monkeys!

My doctor would no have any staff available to do a 70 kms round trip to the lab and back. The place is run very efficiently- and still under severe pressure due to a lack of doctors around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Well if I’m a particularly malicious embittered doctors receptionist and I can’t stand Dr Ryan’s patient Mrs Cleary because she’s a pain and I’m asked to bring her blood sample to the hospital with the other samples then it may or may not arrive there and I’ll just blame the lab if the results don’t come back.

Indeed, I realise you do have a different situation compared to mine.

If you are an embittered receptionist, you are probably the one I have to see regularly. She has spun me so many stupid lies to get me to believe her even though other professionals in pharmacy and hospital tell me what she has said is completely untrue. So if she's going to be malicious, she could have already begun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement