Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

“It’s about the safety of our kids, “ said Julie Sugrue from Carriganarra. 

“This is my front door and my kids’ safety. I have two kids, and this is where the kids go to play football, cycle, and have the craic with their friends,” she said.

“We had people from Limeworth and Glincool at the meeting. We are all against it. Greenways are fantastic and we are all for all of that, but at what cost?”

I'm struggling to understand what the logic is here. What exactly does she (and others) think will happen to the kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Well, obviously I'm going to tear down there as soon as it opens and time trial up and down the Greenway, hunting for kids to knock down. I'll probably get a rota going with a few clubmates to make sure that there is someone patrolling the Greenway for stray kids at all times. It's going to be carnage.

But how can it become more dangerous for the kids given that there is no separation from drivers at present? Is it simply that we drive them everywhere and you want us to let them out on their own?

After searching, I found this justifying the opposition...

...followed by this...

...but that doesn't explain the safety angle taken by the NIMBYist quoted in the Examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

This would be the Lloyds Pharmacy attached to a shopping centre that has a large car park accessible almost directly from the 4-lane Blackrock bypass; and has 14 on-street parking spots directly outside his door?

That shopping centre was almost empty long before the cycle-lane went through Blackrock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Even the reasons in those two tweets don't really make much sense when you think about them.

He mentions a 'quiet cul de sac with no through traffic' - bikes and pedestrians are pretty quiet. This sounds like an anti-car argument, more than an anti-cycle one. Also, 2/3 of the green area remains, plus the added benefit that your kids will have a safe, segregate means of getting about when they are old enough?

The greenway = antisocial behavior trope is marched out again. There's no basis for this, but it never seems to be challenged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i saw this mentioned on Twitter by a relative of the cyclist and unfortunately they said they are praying for him to wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Oh this is the same place that want to save roundabouts:

Pretty sure someone from the area posted a video in the commuting thread on this stretch but the video really only highlights the car priority.

I'm all for those public opposition rallies and petitions - the people are easily identified and should be slapped with minimum Ten Year Stupid Tax.

While we're at it, lets pray for all the poor souls (and the children - FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!) who have busy roads 10 feet from their front doors up and down the country. How ever do they make it through the day intact.

Post edited by Paddigol on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,382 ✭✭✭Macy0161

"Protect Elderly Parking" signs going up in the front gardens there this morning. The elderly must have all gone to work though as no shortage of spaces around 8am...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

There was a few up yesterday as well.

There's a resident there with a giant "No parking" sign affixed to the wall, as well as a double wide gate, all purely to preserve the space outside their front door as a private spot for themselves only. That's the level of entitlement.

All of the cottages have small garden space that, if with the removal of the walls between garden and footpath, could be converted to a parallel parking space actually on their own property. Something tells me that even if the council offered to fund the conversion that most wouldn't be in favour of the idea of using their own private property to store their own private property

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cycled to bloom today. as usualy, quite amused to be told i wasn't allowed cycle in the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Hope you did the honorable and abiding thing and cycled home to get your car. Is the car park not the big open field off the North Road, is there much bicycle parking near the entrance off the roundabout near the Aras entrance or did you have to lock to some railing as usual.

Have done a few organised runs in the park and there's never any bike racks, have to find a tree has that has protective railings and lock it to that.

I parked the bike at the green entrance, at the back of the visitors centre. There are bike racks installed for the duration of bloom. Kinda like Sheffield stands. Felt perfectly safe locking it there, the place is crawling with stewards and gardai. I don't know how busy the bike stands get, I arrived before bloom had started and left after it ended.

Belgian PM falls off bike...

Did he fall because he passed out or did he pass out because he fell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I've been cycling in Dublin for 25 years but originally from Galway and have family there so familiar with the roads. Good piece but what horrific injuries on a roadabout, no details given as to the type and speed of the vehicle.

this would seem to put the lie to the claim that the roads just keep getting safer - a tripling of serious injuries in a decade (though it's vague on whether that could be down to better reporting, as they mention accuracy of the info as being an issue?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭cletus

Just read that too. I don't ever remember annual serious injury number before. The only metric I ever remember being published was road fatalities.

Strongly linked with discussions we've had on boards here before about how these things get reported

i've heard of KSI stats being used before, but in different jurisdictions. maybe one issue is 'serious' in 'seriously injured' is not set in stone, but 'killed or not' is fairly binary. would be curious as to what the definition of 'seriously injured' is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭cletus

I see that, but I've never seen in reported on before. News outlets will release quarterly and annual fatality numbers, as well as comparing to the previous year/quarter. Never heard anything about serious injuries before

Just while we're on the subject... Plea for motorists to reduce their speed as deaths on roads increase by 21pc (msn.com)

Only one cyclist fatality so far, thankfully. Yet we're lumped in with motorcyclists (9 fatalities) as being one sixth of all fatalities.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gardai and RSA pleading with people again, what complete nonsense.

Imagine if the Gardai took this line wqith other illegal things in Ireland

, "Plea for people not to break into houses and murder people as breakins and murders increase by 21pc"

Enforcement is the only thing that will work here, double the points and start enforcing things. It's the only thing that will reduce dangerous behavior such as speeding and mobile phone use. While we're at it start handing out 3 points for footpath, bus and cycle lane parking.

DaCor posted this in another thread:

"The RSA class a serious injury as "An injury for which the person is detained in hospital as an ‘in-patient’ or any of the following injuries whether or not detained in hospital: fractures, concussion, internal injuries, crushings, severe cuts and lacerations, and/or severe general shock requiring medical treatment.""

Yeah, I agree completely. It's human nature that when you're given an inch you take a mile - you see it everyday on the roads, with every road user from pedestrians, to cyclists, to drivers. The problem (I think anyway) is understaffing in the Gardai, lack of a dedicated, properly funded road traffic division, and a complete lack of interest among politicians. So the average Garda probably thinks, well if nobody else cares, and if I'm not being directed to, and if I'm effectively being dissuaded by the amount of paperwork and lack of interest by the judiciary, why bother. That's all just IMO, and I get that its the Garda's job to penalise all law breaking etc etc, but there has to be a level of realism applied to in asking why nothing changes and what can be done.

I was driving on Sunday, overtaking cars at 100kmph, and had a Wexford Bus driver accelerate up to my bumper and flash me to hurry up and get out of the way. In a 100kmph zone. Not that I was in any way surprised - from experience cycling that company's drivers are particularly bad. But it just reinforces the view that rules of the road are an after thought for so many road users.

he also posted this; and there's one thing which stood out to me in the stats. 31% of cyclist fatalities over the period studied happened on a sunday. but saturday and sunday were the days of the week where cyclists were *least* likely to be seriously injured (12% of injuries occured on a sunday)

https://www.rsa.ie/docs/default-source/road-safety/r2---statistics/analysis-of-road-users/cyclist-spotlight-report-fatalities-and-serious-injuries-2016-2021.pdf?Status=Master&sfvrsn=771bb739_15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://docreader.reciteme.com/doc/view/id/647f07c84e152

2008-13 there was an obvious trend downwards, where is it now relative to those numbers.

I can't find comparable data for last 10 years.

Lots of moving parts, so hard to compare. Period above was during a recession with less traffic and lots of high risk drivers had emigrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

It's a bit all over the place. The Wikipedia article you linked to earlier differs at various points from the Garda and RSA figures, which differ from each other. One would think the RSA should be the authoritative - no pun intended - source of info, but looking at their latest annual report (2021) there're a couple of infographics about KSIs, and the rest is just them blowing smoke up their own jacksies.

And as for this pleading nonsense. If only there were some alternative to pleading, let's say some rules, where if you broke them you had to go and stand in a corner with a big "D" hat on, or something like that, and being really fanciful, you could have some official body like, for example, the police would be in other states enforcing these rules

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We're beyond the point of it being for the police to enforce because it's so widespread.

We need legislation to enable technology, pretty basic technology to be able to catch speeders, phone users, light breakers etc and civil stafg who can deal with the fines and stuff.

We live in a country were people actively warn people about Gardai checks and speed vans. Its so bloody weird.

Advertisement