Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Thanks and I know that feeling! Hard to stay disciplined and often ends up being more costly anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2 calel91

Hi All,

My partner and I are due to view a new build in a new estate this week. I have been constantly in touch with the estate agent as we are very interested. Got a call today and she informed me that the next full phase would not be releasing in June as previously planned, but that a few units would be available.

The EA is aware that we are availing of the Help to Buy Scheme but she asked me today if we were availing of the first home scheme and if our budget could go over that (475k for the area). Judging by the property price register, other similar houses in the development have gone for much less than this (400k - 450k) in the last month. Obviously we will find out details of what's available and prices at the viewing but just wanted to get peoples thoughts on this? The fear would be that there is a property that we really like but could be offered to us for say 480k, even though a similar one could have gone for 450k down the road... What kind of negotiating power would we have given that it's a new build?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jenthreepinks

I’m sure someone else will have more information on this but my experience has been that with new build estates the houses go up by €5-10k or so for each phase. I attended a new estate first viewing on Saturday and phase 2 and 3 were on sale but yet the price was more for phase 3 even though you’d be reserving one on the same day as phase 2 and it would be ready later in the year…it’s ridiculous! Can an estate agent explain the rationale behind this?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Calculator123

Bear in mind, the prices listed on the Property Price Register for new builds exclude VAT. You need to add 13.5%. So a listing for €400k actually sold for €454k.

The register is very poor in design / transparency.

While additional phases do tend to increase the price, if you're not factoring in VAT on the Register price, the jump may not be as large as you perceive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kinky76

I am sale agreed to buy a new house at the moment and things are with lawyers at this stage. The house I am buying is registered freehold title subject to a Free Farm Grant from 1966. It looks like there was a breach of a covenant of that grant when the sellers didn't notify that the Grantors that they were making alterations to the house 11 years ago. The alterations did have full planning permission. At the moment things are with our solicitor working with the bank to make sure they are still happy to give the loan with this being the case. Guessing the bank will just say it's fine (I suspect this has come up before), but just wondering if anyone had ever heard anything similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Can anyone give an indication of how long the BoI Cash Back takes to come through? The website says within 45 days, we are just on that now and no sign, not sure if we should follow up or just give it another few days. Any else in the same boat? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 angbee

Are you counting business days or weekdays? It is more than likely business days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

I’m not very active in this thread but finally after 3 refusals and 2 appeals and enduring the sh*t show that ABP is currently we received a full and clean grant…I can not convey their sheer relief and excitement I feel, not to mention smugness( only bc the delay is down to one neighbour who has fought tooth and nail to keep us from being able to build) …

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭frank730

45 working days, I got mine on working day 43. You just have to wait for it to appear on your bank account

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hopeless wanderor

Went Sale agreed on a House 2 weeks ago for 290000, another house in the same estate in similar condition has gone on sale for 270000, Is there still chance for me to negotiate with the current seller? I am in the process of getting a full loan offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

Going up for sale and what it ends up sale agreed at are two different things. You can try negotiate, but I can imagine what the vendor and EA will say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

As the other poster said above, the asking price of €270k means absolutely nothing.

You can absolutely negotiate, but you have to be willing to seriously p*ss off the seller and perhaps even lose out on the house

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Hi folks,

We reserved a new build and now have to choose which bank we're going with. Out of the banks that we have AIP with, PTSB and Bank of Ireland have the best rates at the moment. PTSB shades it with the cash back.

Our house won't be ready til September which means rates could change dramatically by then. Any suggestions on who to go with? Would BOI recently announcing deposit rate increases mean that they will likely increase mortgage rates soon?

Finally, how long are PTSB and BOI taking from the time you tell them you've reserved a property to the time of loan of offer/drawdown? Just wondering if the one we choose increases rates dramatically, how long would it take to get things sorted with a different bank?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I bought back there at Christmas.

BOI issued funds 8 Dec, my sale completed on 16 Dec, cashback was in my account on 20 Dec.

That was less than 10 working days, it was a pleasant surprise for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

I think the reason is people in earlier phases get compensated for the fact they will be living on a building site for potentially years. Noise, dirt, general disruption.

If it’s a big development, it could be many many years so would need to be compensated in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Asking price doesnt mean a lot. Been to plenty viewings where agent makes clear seller looking for more. Generally if house is turn key theyll price it low to get people in. Hope is you fall in love with it and bid more than thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭AH92

Does anyone have any experience on this situation where the folio of the house is registered to a council? It's a probate sale at the closing stage and seems to be a big issue as we might have to pull out as we were supposed to get an unregistered freehold title.

What are people's thoughts on buying new versus buying second-hand? We are trying to buy in the Greystones/Delgany area and are between a 4 bed A2 new build and a bigger 5 bed house that is 20 years old BER B2 and in a beautiful established estate. They are within 5 mins walk from eachother so the neighbourhood/distance to village & schools is the same. The second-hand house needs some work done, a wall knocked down and a new kitchen put in and the bathrooms are all quite tired and all flooring needs replacing. It's cosmetic work but our budget would only stretch so far depending on what offer was accepted. We are under pressure to move asap as we are moving from another area and the kids will start school there in September. The new build is really lovely, we'd have the benefits of everything being new, a lovely green and playground across the road, no bidding wars, but the negative is we were hoping for more space and it is the same size as our current house. We could convert the attic for more room in a few years but our budget wouldn't allow for that now.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

We had this same dilemma, and quite quickly we decided to only look at 2nd hand houses and ignore new builds. A few reasons, some/all of which may be specific to our circumstances:

• New builds tend to be in worse locations. This is certainly true in our town, where all of the more desirable sites were taken years ago and new builds are often more likely to be next to a motorway than a school or train station.
    • New builds usually have smaller gardens than comparable 2nd hand houses.
    • We placed a premium on the fact that the 2nd hand houses we were looking at were in mature, settled estates. No construction ongoing. No waiting for trees/green areas to mature.
    • You know what you are buying into. There is simply no way of knowing how well a new estate will be looked after etc

I would have loved a new A-rated house, but imo they are too expensive relative to similar 2nd hand houses, given the trade-offs above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Would go for the second hand house if I was you.

I personally hate the brand new ones, no personality cookie cutters

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Murph3000

Id avoid new estates. Heard too many horror stories of people ending up surrounded by council houses. At least with a more developed area, you can get a feel for the place and your neighbors.

I agree with @herbalplants, new houses are getting smaller and smaller, squeezing out ever inch of available space. Ive seen a few ones go in with 3 story skinny houses, particularly ugly.

The Ber ratings are just another scam to encourage new builds. A Ber B2 will be absolutely fine from an actual energy efficiencey point of view. In fact I know several people with high ber ratings who really struggle in Summer, place can be like an oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

We opted for a second hand house. Anything in our price range for new came with little to no garden, generally no driveway, houses on top of eachother, incredibly narrow roads, generally a distance to amenities and services.

We bought in a mature estate, decent front garden, driveway for 1 car, plenty of space on the road for another, large back garden, purpose built garage/office out the back. Bus and rail less than 5 minutes walk each. Roads lined with mature trees. The house itself definitely needs some work but we were lucky, it'll do us for a few years until we figure out what we want to do.

At the beginning I was set on a new build but all the external factors turned me towards second hand.

That's really helpful, a resounding thumbs up for second-hand houses - not what I was expecting actually! I agree, developers are trying to squeeze everything into a small space with new builds but not thinking of how the house will function. The one we are looking at is €650k+ and it doesn't even have a hot press to store laundry as it's been taken up by the heat pump. Great energy efficiency but you still need to be able to put your sheets somewhere! I currently live in an A3 rated house and it's much too hot in the winter, particularly at night even with the windows open.

My husband is all on for the second-hand house, I think I am too I'm just a bit put off by the potential of a bidding war and if we got it the work that needs to be done to it. There's already not enough hours to the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Another factor. Permeability

We went with a 50yr old place v's new build because it had a number of good permeability (walking and cycling links) to a neighbouring estate and also neighbouring roads so provides good access from different directions.

Also has many benefits already mentioned by other posters. Mature estate, good size front garden with a wall and hedge boundary , driveway for 1 car, back garden with tree providing shade for rear Garden. Nice in this weather. Front garage - real easy to get bikes in and out. 2 bus routes 5 minute walk (one via that permeability link). Large green areas in the estate have mature trees. BER was C1 because Oil fired boiler was upgraded 5/6 years ago + zoned heating and they had pumped walls . Can see us hitting BER of B1/A2 easy enough by putting in NEW windows (current ones about 25/20 yr old I'd say) and throwing panels up on the roof and a heat pump. The house needs modernising work but will do for a few years until we know what we need. Don't see any extension build needed as floor area is sufficient for us - just one/two internal wall changes and larger windows). Short term we thought ya a NEW build would have suited us for next 5yrs when kids are young but then after that we could only see downsides and unknowns as they are generally been built on the edge of the City - all the benefits we currently have now would heavily outweigh in the medium to long term and even I already seen benefits in the short term that had not factored in like a more mixed neighbourhood in terms of age profiles which means don't have a tidal flow of everybody leaving for work in the mornings and have a more neighbourhood/village feel to the place as a result even though we are in the City.

Post edited by what_traffic on

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

New builds also run the risk of being added to the awful neighborhood Whatsapp group😅

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Wab0607

Was it originally a Council house? If so, was it purchased by tenants in the past and folio was never updated following purchase? Happens a lot.

Sold mothers house some years ago and discovered it was sitting on the local Council's Folio of all land they owned in the area, not just her house. Contacted the Council and turned out it was a simple mistake when boundaries were being drawn some years previously as location was going from one Council's area of responsibility to another LA due to boundary extension of LA. The house was never a Council house and had never been sold on open market, handed down to family members for generations, so only discovered in recent times. Easy enough fix, Council agreed it was an error and applied to have it removed from their folio and placed on it's own folio number with Land Registry.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭KLF

Hi all, I'm looking moving to out of Dublin to somewhere more rural. A property that I'm considering looking at is over 100 years old but it also has a seperate converted stable block that has been split into 3 or 4 self contained units which have been used for short term lets but also longer term letting.

I don't need the ability to make money out of them and would proabbly use them as an office / studio for the missus. However I'm wondering if having such an external building would cause issues getting a mortgage on the main property? Could it be considered a commercial lot?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just on insurance you could struggle with it being over 100 years, check this out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Have a bid in for a 4 bed semi which is now €20k over asking and that’s our bid. EA emailed last Thursday saying nobody has come in with a new bid after our one and she’ll speak to owner and revert back to us. There was viewings the day before that emai.

roll on yesterday afternoon, no phone call/email from EA with any update. I rang to see if there was an update and there was an offer of €1k over our bid but wasn’t fully confirmed as she wanted proof of funds before telling us the new bid officially. They other bidders said they had it and would send within the hour.

roll on today, no update. No reply to my email which was sent at opening of business today. We sent our AIP from BOI last week when making the bid as we were waiting on EBS for a higher amount. The BOI amount is well with it what we’re bidding but I’d wonder is at the lower end of what they think they’ll end up. I could go another €19k to our max with BOI but won’t do that as the house isn’t worth it in my opinion then. Anyway EBS have given us mortgage AIP which is worth €31k more than BOI.

is the EA pulling a stroke??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭AH92

That's helpful thanks, I'm under the assumption that it was never a council home so maybe that makes sense that it was a mistake being on the council folio. Will hopefully hear this week on what the story is.

Advertisement