Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2023 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I agree, there's a refresh cycle that other manufacturers follow to basically try and convince people on a PCP to upgrade to the latest version when their loan is up

Tesla don't really do model years, they just change things as newer versions come out

So I'm not sure the update has any real technological leaps forward that people are going to be holding out for

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

To be fair part of that extra €23k includes another 25kWh of available battery capacity. So maybe the €49k Model 3 LR is a fairer comparison 😉

Hopefully VW release a smaller battery version of the ID.7, it should have the efficiency to get a decent rage with a 58kWh battery for example

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

We’re not talking about some random 2020 Kona, Niro, Leaf et al though - we’re talking about a car that was billed as a revolution, the one that would kill all the ‘legacy OEMs’, Tesla 10 years ahead of the others, etc etc etc.

I'm just suggesting that the sales don’t support the argument, and I dont think for a moment that Tesla will be close in the top of the sales volume charts after this refresh (the Y is only no.26 or whatever and it’s effectively brand new in Ireland).

the base white €40k M3 is arguably the best EV on the market, and yet only 83rd in the 2023 sales charts. Anyone who wants one can take delivery quite quickly, and many of those 250 deliveries this year are carry-over orders from Q4 last year, who got a boost from the Jan 14th price drop.

I guess what I’m saying is - over 7 years on from the M3 announcement, Im still waiting for the revolution ….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Turns out quite a lot of Irish car buyers like to wear shirts and comfortable shoes at the weekend and buy VW.

Last time that topic was brought up on the ID.4 thread the conversation turned to wearing thongs pretty quickly

Pretty sure I've only worn a shirt twice in the past year and most of the time I drive barefoot 😜

• Advertisement

To an extent it did start the revolution, just in the rest of the auto industry

I think a lot of people assumed the traditional automakers would sit still and let Tesla and other startups roll over them with a new wave of EVs

Some automakers have been quick to see which way the wind is blowing, others still have their heads buried in the sand (for example, every Japanese car company)

Toyota have 6 of the 10 best selling cars on the planet in 2023. I think it’s a bit foolhardy to say they don’t know their own business or have their head in the sand.

The Japanese customer isn’t really an EV one, and let’s be honest, the Prius was a revolutionary vehicle over 25 years ago for Toyota - they were miles ahead of the hybrid era, and only now is hybrid truly mainstream.

toyota themselves are quite vocal that the countries their volume comes from are still a long way from EVs.

The.image below is global sales of EV and PHEV. look at the % sold outside North America, Europe and China - it’s minuscule, but accounts for 65% of the worlds population.

now remove the AU/NZ market, and also all the PHEVs, and in reality Toyotas current strategy is the right one for them

toyota will change when they need to, I’ve no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

That's the problem isn't it, they are pumping out fossil burners to beat the band, most of these will still be on the road past 2030 destroying humanities aims to reduce carbon emissions across the world. Should be taxed out of existence long before 2030/2035.

Even companies that are actually selling BEVs (in Ireland anyway) like VW are still a >90% fossil company. The main goal seems to be to drag it out as long as possible causing as much damage along the way as possible, lobbying everywhere to delay the transition. No different from big tobacco before them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Don’t forget all the M3’s stuck in limbo because of the revenue debacle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@sk8board - you are not wrong in your assessment of Tesla Model 3 sales being slow. But you seem to have ignored the pretty obvious resaon behind this, put to you several times on this forum. It's very simple really. The raison d'être of the Model 3 is for Tesla to try out (and know that they would miserably fail QA) mass manufacturing a car. The fanbois (not a very nice term for what are mostly very decent people) would buy it anyway

Next phase would be the Tesla Model Y. A great value car for the masses. Excellenty built. Oh wait, do I need to prove any point? It is the best selling car in the world right now.

we should only interested in Ireland though, where it’s the 26th best selling car this year, in a medium suv segment that contains all the best selling cars.

they’ll deliver more cars in the next few months when sales of the others will have tapered off, so let’s see where it ends up on Dec 31.

we don’t have cheap lease deals either - people buy it straight, or on finance, so it’s a more accurate reflection of the desire & affordability of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Until Tesla residuals firm up and pricing settles out, competitive lease deals wont be available. In the Irish market, virtually nobody in the trade wants to retail them, fix them or buy them for stock.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You seem to be the only person worried about overall sales position for Tesla. The market is shifting to EV nobody expected an insta switch where day 1 a new EV comes out and tops the overall sales chart straight away.

Your criticism of how the Model 3 was introduced can apply equally to the ID.3 it was introduced with similar bluster as the EV version of the Beetle that would make it the peoples car.

It takes a while for the mass market to become comfortable with a change, the stats show its happening at the predicted rate. Do you honestly belive this will be the only country where EV sales flatline and Tesla won't maintain relevant market position, what is it about the Irish market that makes us uniqe and why is it this year (despite sales so far increasing year on year) that the steam is going to fall out of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

At over €50k the Model 3 was never going to be a big seller here, it is only recently that the price has fallen to €40k. Most of the people who have bought at the cheaper prices are still awaiting delivery.

Just priced up a popular car here in Ireland, the Skoda Octavia. Probably similar enough in size (Though the Octavia is a hatchback). One parks beside me often at work and they look similar enough size wise. Was shocked to see that a mid spec 150hp Octavia with a few extras incl Auto comes in at about €44k + delivery etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

Price list says €37,185 for a top spec 150bhp auto+ delivery

Where you seeing 44k?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

Just went into the configurator, added auto, artificial leather, adaptive cruise and a few other bits can't remember which. Will check it again.

Edit. It was the 2L Diesel I checked, petrol is a little less alright.

I know I’m being contrarian here, I just expected more when it became a €40k car I suppose.

Regarding your point about mass market adoption, I would suggest that the distinct lack of a conveyor belt of Tesla models will open the door for every other manufacturer to walk through.

again, my point is pretty straightforward - think forward say 3 years from now and tell me what models Tesla will be selling in Ireland. If they’re not selling when the cars are new and advanced, they won’t sell when they’re aged.

As an total tangent, my neighbour got a new Megane EV this weekend, it’s a really good looking car :)

not enough range for us, but v pretty I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

I think there has been no 40k Tesla delivered in Ireland yet.

The 250 registrations this year happened in March (Jan price drop) and May, presumably April price drop deliveries or why would anyone take delivery

• Advertisement

Because anyone that ordered last year got the new prices too. Not many €40k have been delivered here because of revenue who still have to release each car individually as Tesla cannot register them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

What's the problem with revenue? Surely a few hundred cars are nothing compared to the tens of thousands the others are selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

They probably ordered before price was 40k, so this number was not stimulated by last drop. I think there is still quite a few people who ordered and do not even have delivery date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

An ID.7 is almost the same length as a Model S or a Mercedes EQE. Much bigger than a Model 3.

So at 65k it's much cheaper than the Tesla or Mercedes equivalent sized car but with more range. A lot slower though than the Tesla if that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

65K? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

A lot of the early reviews say they expect it to start about the same price as an ID.5 so that would put it about 65k.

A lot of money for a VW but a good spec Arteon would be close on price.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The press keep pushing the line that's a BMW I4/Model 3 competitor, it's probably going to lead to a lot of people cross shopping them. I'd guess many Passat owners will consider it as the EV alternative to their current car.

VW group need to come up with a car that slots into the gap left by the Passat/Superb they're both popular choices. The ID.7 is only 9.2cm longer than the current Superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Based on current ID range pricing, an ID.7 in a GTX or similar spec will likely be i4 money. Could still be a good seller as it’s a decent size, i4 is cramped for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

9cm longer but much more internal space you'd imagine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

The Model 3 and the BMW I4 are not really in the same category. Its like comparing a corolla to a 3 series. Both fine cars but fundamentally different price points and target driver market. It says a lot about VW that it thinks it can transition into the luxury segment of German autos. They are already planning to drop SEAT in favour of Cupra. What will it mean for Audi I wonder.

And BMW are responding to VW pushing into their space by completely losing the run of themselves with the price of the new i5.

Advertisement