Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Prison Service (Prison Officer) to Civil Servcie (EO) - Incremental Credit?

• 05-06-2023 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭scullersky

I work as a Prison Officer (we are classed as Civil Service). I applied for EO in the Civil Service for several personal reasons and I was successfull.

As my job as a Prison Officer was also Civil Service, does anyone know how Incremental Credit would work?

For example say I am now on €47,000 basic pay, should I be put on the nearest increment when I take up the new role or start at the bottom?

Any thoughts welcome....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 michael031987

Incremental credit only applies where the roles are similar in nature. A prison officer duties would not be considered similar to the duties of an EO. Therefore incremental credit will not apply and you will take up the new role at point 1 of the EO scale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭scullersky

It is more similar than you realise! Also a funny thing I recently learned was that each rank in the Irish Prison Service payscale is linked to a Civil Service Pay grade. For example, Prison Officer is actually aligned to Staff Officer grade! I really don't mind either way, of course it would be better if I got some incremental credit, I am just really looking forward to change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

What are the similarities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭scullersky

In my role I'm office based dealing with lots of paperwork. We deal with pay, compliance and audit too.

• I personally know of somebody who went from the Guards to the Civil service and their salary was matched and they were given one extra increment.

The above circular mentions both the civil service and public service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ah fair enough…I thought you meant the regular duties as they’re normally PASO roles.

There was a PASO who came over from the Gards a few years ago and started on the top of the scale so I reckon you could make a similar case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭big_drive

Just said I'd ask here when I saw this mentioned. On another thread I asked would a primary teacher be allowed carry over increment allowance?

Given the level of paperwork in teaching and use of ICT, etc. Lot of transferable skills

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Offaly lad

Don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

If the top scale of the EO is higher than Prision officer salary scale then incremental credit wouldn't come into it, if you have achieved a promotion in public/civil to civil service you recieve the next closeness point on scale to current salary(plus 1 depending on amounts), doesn't matter if prior role is relevant to new one at all.

I don't really agree with the above as civil serive staff don't autmaticallly get the same benefits joining other public service orgs in promotion type situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 michael031987

The top scale of the EO is lower than the top of Prision officer salary scale so it may not be seen as a promotion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement