Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings part 4 - Read OP before posting - updated 30/12/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Poor Sadie has another one of her innocent sons in trouble.

Lucky it's in the UK or she would be outside the four courts kicking off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

The thing completely confusing me is media reporting Jack Kavanagh's arrest in Malaga airport whilst 'transiting from Dubai to Turkey'. Is that like flying Dublin to London with a connecting flight in Kabul? It's also interesting that Turkey has been mentioned. Yes, they could be getting hairplugs, heroin or turkey teeth, but also scoping out a nation that rarely extradites criminals, if there's not a bunch of them already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭portlaoisepal

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Updaparish

He was probably using up his lidl flight stamps before they run out.. ✈️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Lads, apologies if this was mentioned but was Liam Byrne not back in Ireland recently, hanging out with Gerrard? Maybe that was just Lee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Byrne being in Mallorca since the 26th of May is interesting too. He was only lifted on Sunday. Did the Spanish authorities monitor him with the hope that more of his pals might fly in? No doubt the Spanish will release the video of the arrest in due course.

I don't think Turkey would be a good spot for the either though for a few reasons. The Turks are looking to join the EU. Now that might not happen anytime soon but they wouldn't be able to offer criminals a safe enough sanctuary if they did join. Even as part of the process to join they would have to be seen to be acting on it at least. Also they wouldn't be the king of the castle in Turkey either.

Either way the net is well and truly closing now. How many really trusted people do the Kinahans really have left around them now? I'm not talking about the security that they hire either. You'd wonder what is going through their heads now. Would they take 10 years in Mountjoy over 50 years in a US Federal Supermax?

Interesting times are ahead. People would previously had Byrne down as shrewd and an intelligent criminal but there you go. FFS. He might as well have gone to courtown for his holidays. Probably less chance at him being lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I don't understand how he wasn't arrested previously given he wasn't exactly keeping a low profile in England, pictured hanging out with Stevie G, in an England shirt at Wembley, champions league final in Paris etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Nicola Tallant said on her podcast that Byrne was unaware there was a warrant out for his arrest, so maybe its a recent enough thing

Was Gerrard in Majorca with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

i remember reading a couple of articles around the time of bombers demise and encrochat the NCA went out of their way in all the newspapers to say "they did not believe that byrne was useing encrochat"Never believe what you read red tops.If my theory is even half right then he,s even dumber then he looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Don't understand how Gerrard could not realise that being pally with Liam was not a wise move and his daughter knocking about with the son wasn't either .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Is the supply being affected by these arrests and caesars the or is it mostly business as usual ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Hope Liam Byrne gets locked away for a long time. Lots of blood on his hands.

Silly of him to visit Spain but probably travelled with a false passport.

The town he was arrested in was very out of the way also, so he probably thought it was a calculated risk.

I'm surprised Stevie G let's his daughter anywhere near the Byrnes. The fact he pals around with the likes of Nathan Little and Liam Byrne shows there isn't much upstairs.

Overall I'm delighted the Kinehan/Byrne cartel is being dismantled. Hopefully Daniel is next.

The country seems to be flooded with cocaine so however they make it work, I'm sure it'll continue regardless. There's always someone else to step in and run operations.

I think the day of droughts is long in the past. Too many groups able to bring in shipments these days, and anyone savvy enough can get it over the internet without having to meet a scrawny scrote on an e-scooter with his socks pulled up over his tracksuit pants, who communicates in skunk induced grunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭40supple

doubt Jack was looking for a new bolt hole in Turkey, as said the Turks are desperate to start negotiating entrance to the EU plus they extradited Nicky back over the Gareth Hutch hit..

id assume the via Palma route was to meet someone in Spain and then connect onto Turkey..

id say he’s running messages and directions for Bomber as he’s probably the only one he trusts and they won’t risk telecommunications

I wonder if Stevie G wasn't a footballer what walk of life would he have ended up in.

That's serious disruption to the cartels operation all the same. And with the place still awash with Cocaine it goes to show that there a lot of players in town. It's never been as easy to get the stuff through wholesale either. That's where the real money is being made. After the boat that ran ashore in Cork all those years ago full of bales of coke you'd have to wonder how many boat loads get through.

Look we all know that the dismantling of the Kinahan Cartel won't dent the supply but it's great seeing them getting their asses handed to them. It might be a long shot but I really hoe the yanks can extradite.

He is refusing extradition back to the UK. That's a shock. Does he know his goose is cooked yet? That's he'll be doing a decent stretch in the UK and be well into his fifties before he gets out. Like all of them the landscape will have well and truly changed. He will be an old man in the grand scheme of things and the newer breed won't take kindly to him.

Are there any warrants out for him in Ireland? AGS should be able to get something on him and squeeze another few years out of him being locked up.

The bell is tolling for him and his mates now. The son will have to get a job too maybe. Stevie G's daughter won't stick around there for long.

I wonder did Dan ring it in, buy him a little more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Gerrard has plenty of documented links to similar lads in Liverpool, so unlikely that he was too put off by the Byrne's backstory.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 RC1985

and his missus too... 🤠

Wasn't Stevie G's uncle on the run for ages and one of the UK's most wanted over a massive cocaine ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 slowdive74

They gave up looking to join the EU years ago. Not saying they'll want a load of on the run crims either tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Absolute idiot. You have Interpol, Gardai, DEA and everyone else out for you and your gang and you decide I'll take a holiday to Spain ignoring the risk I face 20 years in prison if I'm picked up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Why does Liam Byrne's young lad have a different surname from him? And from what part of the world does the name "Who Has No Involvement In Crime" come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Lee Byrne?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Probably russian mafia or something, at least keep it Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

What is known there was an arrest warrant out for him? I don’t remember seeing it reported. Wasn’t he openly living in the Uk up until fairly recently. Maybe he didn’t know the charges were coming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Fair enough he might enjoy the notoriety of hanging around with gangsters, but wouldn't he be more protective of his young daughter!?

The Byrnes were very recently involved in a very bloody gang war. Couldn't she get caught in the crossfire? Also exposing her to drugs.

Maybe the Gerard's background in Liverpool is to glorify gangsters and to be anti-government, anti-authority etc.

I find it madness.

I'm delighted they're all getting locked up. Animals belong in a cage.

I'm sure there's loads of these going around

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Thorsbeard1982

It's thought that in the UK....customs intercept 10% of smuggled goods and the police between 1 and 5 percent.

Given Irelands lack of navy,Custom boats and links to mainland Europe I'd say the percentage is smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't think there are any direct flights from Dubai to Majorca. I wonder if he was tracked when transiting. Anyway I see he refuses to agree to being extradited to Britain. OK so, no problemo you are released, bye now.

• Advertisement

Was he with his kids at the time of arrest? I read somewhere the wife popped over to Ibiza for a quiet one while he was in Majorca.

Advertisement