Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

O'Neil out for the Armagh game because of his straight red which should now see us top the group. They're very limited without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Finnerty was given a poor 50/50 on the hop and did damage. He was in a bad way immediately, similar to the Mayo match in Castlebar. Thought Tomo was very disappointing in his spell replacing Finno too tbh.

Highlights were Johnny McGrath (my MOTM), Hernon, Cooke, Maher and Comer.

I think Armagh will appeal the O'Neill ban and get him off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

A wins a win, but bygod the gbfm commentary is cruel bad or maybe it's just me, they kept getting the score wrong and called a goal another time I'll have to wait till I watch it somewhere to see what sort of match it was... Maher and comer seemed to have made the difference and Gleeson caught out twice, walshe is just missing his mojo, hope he finds it, not the same since his travels somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Cooke ,Maher ,Hernon,and Sweeney ……….four great additions to last years team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Game lacked intensity for me again.

Management made two moves before throw-in. Sweeney in for Comer (maybe to protect his knees/joints on a rock hard surface) and Hernon played full back to mark Heslin. Brave move and worked very well. Allowed Kelly to move half back and get up and down the pitch.

Full back line decent. McGrath great second half, Hernon great throughout, Glynn ok gave away some stupid ball in both halves.

Kelly great in the half back line along with John Daly who marshalled well defensively and pushing forward. McDaid quieter than usual.

Cooke had a great second half but it does take him time to get going. Done for taking to long over a side line and some general sloppiness in the first half. Conroy ok again but kicked away couple of stupid balls. Maher great when he came on. Pushed forward, Westmeath goaliw made a great save from him.

Tierney, Heaney did there usual of working very hard up and down the pitch. Sweeney again great for breaking lines.

Ian Burke great hands but got turned over on some stupid ball. Finnerty off injured. Shane was carrying his right ankle in the second half. Number of shots dropped short to the goalie. Eventually gave up long range frees to Tierney. Culhane was struggling but was sacrificed so Shane could play close to goal with less running when Maher came on.

Comer awesome. Could of got man of the match for a 20min cameo. 3 points, should of had another when he blasted wide rather than taking an easy mark.

Still need to step it up. Westmeath caused plenty of problems and Galway had some stupid turnovers. Red aside I felt Galway were just getting to the grips of the game. Some of the points conceded in the second half on the stand side were very soft where Westmeath got up the pitch with little pressure being applied ( a la Tyrone).

Winning. Controlled. Far from spectacular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

And McGrath. Filling in quite adequately for Silke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Not for the first time this season am I questioning what Daly is actually supposed to be doing. A superb footballer but Westmeath raided through the middle an awful lot many times this afternoon with no-one to stop them or hold up the point of the attack. It could actually yet happen going forward that we need McDaid no. 6 to add more dynamism (and physicality) to the position. Scores we conceded today were let in far too easily just like 2 weeks ago in Salthill.

Winning. Not a lot of control in spots IMO. Far from spectacular.

Nice crowd for the minors. Should build as the match goes on with Cork vs Offaly joining.

Nervous for these minors. No team has got within 10 points of them in any game so far so would be hugely disappointing if this was their "bad game".

Hopefully first All Ireland home to Galway in the first week in June.

If they can get him off on appeal after kneeling on a fellas head plus throwing in a couple of rabbit punches for good measure then the gaa should just throw the suspension protocols in the bin. It's not as if the lad doesn't have form for doing the same thing repeatedly.

The minors putting in a really disappointing performance against Clare so far. The goals putting a gloss on it. Against a stiff breeze.

Our decision making is really poor. Taking on speculative points and forcing goal opportunities. Niland is a talented hurler but he's extremely greedy. I'd love to see his shots to scores ratio. I know he's a young lad but at this stage management should be impressing on him the importance of feeding the man in the best position.

• Advertisement

We had a lad got off for a stamp in the hurling last year

Ya and we should never have appealed it. He was totally in the wrong.

Young Screeney was targeted by Cork today because of a inadequate ref and a disciplinary system not fit for purpose.

I don't agree with it either but the appeal system is an absolute joke. Armagh will use whatever powers of persuasion available, just like we did, and as per usual the ban will be dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I think Daly knows his role very well and it has generally worked very well to date, he's a top class footballer, IMO his flexible role in this Galway team is a large part of their success. He has two new half backs beside him in hernon and McDaid and they need to bed in. Both excellent footballers but maybe left him a bit exposed yesterday with their exploits going forward. Hernon was a surprise selection to me but I have to say Padraic is playing those who are in form hernon, Sweeney and Maher in particular. The team is getting stronger and stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

Daly is the heartbeat of the team, when he was injured, we did Jack sh*t, this year his asked to sit deeper and protect the d and stop the kicked through ball, so runners coming through from deep are someone else's responsibility, it seems to working, we have only conceded 1 goal since the league final, we haven't conceded more that 14 scores aswell

I hear it's going to be Cavan for the footballers...... Not sure if anyone else got the same info.

I heard similar last night. That's an absolutely sickening spin for us in comparison to Armagh fans. Can hardly call that a fair venue but at the same time at least they're giving non-Croker venues their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

Its Carrick on Shannon.

Wouldn't of been my first choice but something different. Capacity bit on the tight side.

Tickets on sale for Carrick

• Advertisement

The fact that tickets went on general sale at all means that it was all a lot of moaning over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

True. To be fair there were numbers thrown around online of 9000 season ticket holders between both counties, Armagh having 9000 alone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Out of interest, when is the last time we sold out Pearse Stadium?

Against Mayo in 2015 I'd say. Think the capacity was decreased after for Health and Safety (again) and we still haven't sold it out in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

I know its always the way but we probably have a core of 5k who go to every game, another 5k who go to most games and yet if we get to the AI it'll be every man & his dog crying for a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Canning didn't mince his words in the post match analysis and it was hard to disagree with anything he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Robert2014

You'd be mad if you were training an u14 team and they did that!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

What did he say?

I think at half time he criticized the ball not going into the forwards a la what gillane gets for Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

You can't conceded 4 goals and expect to win a championship match at that level

There is a reason we need to play with a sweeper....way to open otherwise.

Today highlighted our serious lack of pace both in defence and attack....need to find it somewhere

P mannion will get the criticism for kicking the ball but what the **** were 3 or 4 the at in the corner that didn't put the ball dead

A long way back for us I'm afraid.....need to get 6 or 7 fresh sets of legs into that team and hope they progress

Advertisement