Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

At 13 for Ireland? No one. He is a fantastic outside centre. He just isn’t a playmaker. Its not his game.

12/15 are where most teams would play it. I think leinster broadly fall into that if they use one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

Ringrose is a phenomenal defender and is a very important defensive brain for irl and Leinster. He is not as creative a player in attack and I wouldn’t put him in the same league as Hansen for that aspect of his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I’d say Ringrose is more of a runner than a distributor. I think that’s fair to say.

He's very strong ball in hand and scores plenty of tries but he often put's players around him into space and he's acted as the distributer and receiver on loop plays for Ireland / Leinster loads of times. He has great hands (recall his pass off the deck to Henshaw against Wales before) and because of his step he's a difficult read for defences.

Again - I don't see many centres around that I'd consider better passers / distributers, certainly very, very few that marry carrying / distribution to the same level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The second playmaker doesn't have to be a 12, they can easily be 13. Henry Slade for example is one of the best out there.

I was just reading the leinster thread and there is a whole thing about ringrose having problems passing left to right, and how he has gotten tunnel vision in big games. I found that interesting.

My impression is that he’s fine as long as its obviously scripted or a called play. He is very smart and might be a defensive genius. I would never trust him to have much vision or make a pass in broken play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

My impression is that he’s fine as long as its obviously scripted or a called play. 

Your impression is wrong.

I mean, he's no Mike Haley like, but he's by some distance our best 13, a world class player, and I'm not sure why we're even discussing him, let alone sh1tting all over him, other than to make inferior Munster players somehow look better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think classifying some fairly milquetoast criticism of one aspect of a player's game as "**** all over him" is a particularly useful metric for supporting discussion either.

Offensive playmaking is fairly clearly the weakest aspect of Ringrose's game to me, the question of whether simply not as strong as the rest of his game or genuinely a slight weakness seems pretty reasonable to me.

Who said he wasn’t our best 13 or a world class player?

I swear to god some people can’t read.

You don’t have to be great at everything to be a world class player. This is also funny because i got pushback from a munster fan earlier for saying haley is also not a playmaker.

• Advertisement

I don't think classifying some fairly milquetoast criticism of one aspect of a player's game as "**** all over him" is a particularly useful metric for supporting discussion either

That's a fair point, apologies to @ulsteru20s

However, the comment, "he’s fine as long as its obviously scripted or a called play" is about a lot more than 'playmaking', and I think it's fair to say that's a pretty strong criticism, that a 13 cannot read the game in front of him and react accordingly, and I would further say it's a million miles from Garry Ringrose.

I’d say that reading the game in non scripted play and making the pass decision (which is what playmaking mostly is to me) is the weakest part of his game. I wouldn’t call him bad at it. But he is certainly not world class at that particular thing. So, yea ‘not trusting’ is prob too far. Its just not one of his strengths. Of which he has many.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I'd separate out the "reading" from the "passing". Ringrose is a superb reader of the offensive game, but that primarily manifests in breaks or half-breaks, rarely in him putting in an unexpected or opportunistic pass to someone else in space, or kicking through.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

By @ulsteru20s definition of playmaker, we'd need to be playing Crowley at 12 or something of that nature. It was a (perhaps unintended) straw man that grew out of the discussion on Haley's qualities, i.e., how he can offer a lot more in attack than, say, a Rob Kearney. And yes, JOB and a few other players could do likewise.

My concern, however, is that JOB (and not to pick on him, but I think it's fair to say he's next up at full back) is not strong enough in the fundamentals of full-back play. Nobody has responded to my request for big games where he really stood out at full-back. He had 40 minutes against 14 English players, where he held his own. And he was superb against Toulouse, but on the wing. Where else can we get a decent look at him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if Ireland underachieve at this world cup, it probably won't be because Jean Kleyn and Mike Haley weren't named in the 42-man training squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

No and no one is claiming that Ireland would win a RWC of they were included but there is middle ground here despite a few posters thinking otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

playmaking generally refers to attack. you can have a defensive playmaker too but its usually used in an attacking context

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I just don't think there's such a chasm between JOB and Haley to warrant the kind of reaction it's gotten. Both are good full backs, and Farrell appears to value JOB's pace, footballing ability and versatility more than what Haley offers. If he rated Haley, he'd have brought him into camp at least once in his 3 years as head coach (when Larmour, Stockdale, Keenan, Lowry and O'Brien have all been used at 15). Haley was also in camp in 2019 when Farrell was defence coach, so he would have seen him up close then too.

As for Kleyn. It's pretty obvious that Farrell likes forwards who are both athletic and skillfull, so going on that, it really isn't a big shock that Kleyn hasn't made it. I also think his form has been a bit exaggerated. Say he wasn't capped by Ireland in 2019, would the Springboks be rushing to get him into camp? I'd wager not.

Nobody has responded to my request for big games where he really stood out at full-back.

The answer is probably none, because Keenan plays all the big games.

But JOB has played plenty of non-big games at FB and is usually very good.

And as is so often the case, we may not be seeing everything that Farrell is seeing.

Crowley/Frawley at 12/15.. JOB at 15… Frisch at 12/13.. harry byrne at 12… lowry at 15… stewart moore at 12.

All those options are obviously worse than the player who actually plays there.

There is this weird thing in the backs (unlike the forwards as much) where for a guy to be good they have do EVERYTHING. Almost no one does everything and usually playmaking is not the selection priority at 13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Kleyn is eligible for the Springboks again as far as I can tell - having not played for Ireland for more than 3 years.

How many south african second rows would make the ireland team is a better question than if Kleyn would make ours or theirs.

Snyman and etzebeth would start and beirne would play 6, right?

Maybe start Etzebeth, Ryan and have Snyman for punch off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Would be very surprised if did anything to compromise his eligibility to play in Ireland.

Married to a woman from Galway, just built a house near UL, brother has moved to Dublin, parents now live in the UK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I also think his form has been a bit exaggerated. Say he wasn't capped by Ireland in 2019, would the Springboks be rushing to get him into camp? I'd wager not.

There’s a fairly obvious response to this; we don’t have the same depth at lock that SA do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Disagree. How many tries are are scored from jackling/ turnovers. Its not always fancy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

You might disagree but it doesn't make you right, I think playmaking is widely understood to mean creative / decision making players in attack

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I genuinely don’t think I’ve ever heard of jackalling / turnovers referred to as playmaking by anybody else before.

I was just playing with myself in the shower.

Playmaker.

• Advertisement

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement