Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I would have thought at that with the extra runway capacity now available in DUB it would make a lot of sense to buy the airport land and relocate Baldonnel to the new land and use the airport runway. Many airports throughout Europe have military bases on/attached to civillian airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭prunudo

Given the amount of training flights and circuits they do, might not be as beneficial as it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Economics101

If Air Corps were to be relocated, it should be Shannon. Very little congestion problems, and better located for maritime surveillance operations

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Paul2019

The Amazing Irish Times ... Again !!!

Last week:

After whipping up a national storm about airport noise affecting a few homes in NW Co. Dublin, the newspaper was kite-flying the idea of using Baldonnell as a 2nd airport with flight paths that would create noise problems for tens of thousands of homes.

This week:

After years if not decades of negative articles trying to kill off a metro line that would serve some very large population centres and Dublin Airport, The Irish Times, today, has a piece - wait for it - COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW HARD IT IS TO GET TO DUBLIN AIRPORT BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT.

This country has very big problems when it comes to infrastructure delivery and The Irish Times is a very big part of those problems.

Paywall Alert:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/06/05/can-you-not-get-a-lift-an-irish-solution-to-dublin-airports-transport-problem/

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭AnRothar

• Advertisement

In my student days (many decades ago) we used to refer to the Irish Times as "The Whinge"

Plus ça change.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Opinion pieces in the newspaper dont always reflect the editorial stance of the publication.

And yes, opinion pieces are welcomed to bulk up the publication.

A bigger picture question should be is it right that a country of 5million should aim to have an airport with 50million annual passengers? We are not a London / Paris with the catchment. Dublin will never win in the long haul east direction against the likes of Turkish / emirates / Qatar so where will this pie in the sky 50mil come from?

Even parking the unknown future of aviation itself (environment/fuel etc) there are a lot of questions.

Dublin airport location is obviously not fit for those type of numbers and in my opinion building a new airport would be daft and reckless.

If a lot of these passengers are going to be transit for the benefit of IAG are we building a monster infrastructure at a huge cost for something that may not be long term sustainable? Will the multinationals still be here in 2050?

Is it in the national interest to have an airport this size when we have to import people to work it in it, build houses for them, try to accommodate them within our bursting National infrastructure(schools, hospitals etc).

controversial question but foolish not to ask it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dublin airport location is obviously not fit for those type of numbers

You have to love it when people make bald assertions, use the word "obviously" and then provide no evidence whatsoever.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Dublin has 1 airport

Paris has 4 CDG, Le Bourget, Orly, Beauvais

London has ? LHR/LGW/LCY/STN/LTN/SOU

Central Europe has the advantage of good rail connections and in many cases world class high speed rail which has taken a large % share of long distance travel, we don't and won't have this as an Island so our numbers will be distorted.

Sort out decent rail connections to Dublin airport, thats all we are missing really, no airport in Europe of Dublin's size lacks a rail connection

Well done, you ignored the rest of my post to nit pick on one point to try distract from the bigger point I am making and doing so via a one liner smarta55 reply.

Regardless of whether the current airport can be developed to accommodate 50m or not that’s not the main point i raised.

Is it not obvious that the airport in its current form cannot handle 2x its current passenger numbers without massive investment from terminal, parking, transport, stand parking, fuel handling, airline offices bla bla. It’s current form includes the extremes of being bused to an airline hanger the far corner of the airport to board Aer Lingus regional planes.

It'd need a third terminal and a rail link but that's got nothing to do with its location.

You've still provided absolutely nothing to tell us why you think "Dublin airport location is obviously not fit for those type of numbers".

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The DAA airport development plan already deals with all of that, with T2 expansion, more stands and then eventually development of another terminal west of the ATC tower between the two runways.

Much of the increased passenger numbers would, I expect, be transit passengers using Aer Lingus to access North American destinations. That’s where the airline is positioning itself, building Dublin as a hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

It was at 33m passengers p.a. in 2019 and must be on course to equal or exceed this in 2023. The DAA has a large capital plan which, on a phased basis, if implemented, would add capacity on a whole range of fronts. So "the airport in its current form" is not a static position and, like most major airports, it almost always has some infrastructural developments under way.

The bussing arrangements in place for the Emerald ATRs are not ideal but Dublin is hardly the only place where bus transport to and from stands is part of the set-up. Try Frankfurt, where at times it seems to be a bit of a lottery as regards where a Lufthansa narrow-body aircraft will be parked, on both arrival and departure.

If you look at the passenger stats for Dublin, and even allowing for the last economic crisis, they grew from about 16m in 2003 to 33m by 2019 - a doubling in a decade and a half. Forty million can't be that far off - whether such growth will continue towards 50m is of course unknowable. I don't think that Dublin will become primarily a hub airport and the majority of passengers will continue to be people departing or arriving there. It's pretty clear that Dublin serves as the preferred airport for many in Northern Ireland as well, so the population of the whole island is a more relevant measure than just that of the Republic.

The rail connectivity issue would do an amount to address the pressures on the roads and associated infrastructure at and around the airport but unfortunately (and to put it mildly) it's hard to be confident about when this will be ready.

And Sean Dunne had a great development and business plan on a sexy brochure for ballsbridge, doesn’t mean it was right or made economic sense.

And to one of your points which was one of my fundamental questions, why are we building an infrastructure for IAG to use Dublin as a hub for their low cost offering? I know there are spin offs (jobs, maybe a few transit passengers stay for a few nights) but there is huge risk with this.

I think I am wasting my time asking the question if a 50 million passenger airport is in the national interest and a wise investment for a state owned company. Ye have all failed to even acknowledge my bigger picture first post and instead jumped on the defence. I suppose it is the aviation forum after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

Don't let us be wasting your time now viewer78 on an aviation forum but the planning is there for a capacity of 40m PPA and could be started as early as next year with completion by the end of the decade, only time will tell if a 3rd terminal is required but if it is then capacity will definitely be there for 50m PPA or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Transit passengers number were about two million in 2018, out of 31.5 million pax. Even if IAG double that, it's still not going to be the primary focus of activity. The transit model assists in making routes sustainable and opens up new markets for visitors to Ireland. The transatlantic market from/to Ireland used to be highly seasonal, with only limited offerings in the winter to a few key cities. Now it is all-year-round.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Having Dublin as a transit hub is in the national interest due to the connectivity it adds to the country, an island nation, transit passengers make more routes and frequencies viable.

Take the Aer Lingus example routes of Hartford, CT, and Cleaveland, OH; the way to imagine this is that lets say there are 100 people in Ireland each day who'd like to fly to these places, without the hub they could never fill a 180 seat aircraft to make these routes viable, for those 100 people they'd then have to connect in LHR or JFK etc, losing out on a full day's work travelling.

Then consider the case where there's also 10 people in Manchester, 5 in Madrid, 6 in Hamburg, 12 in Amsterdam, 6 in Dusseldorf, 2 in Prague etc etc who want to travel to BDL or CLE, by bringing them all through Dublin as a HUB the routes to BDL/CLE are now viable routes and you can fill the 180 seats on the aircraft.

By making Dublin more connected you enable people to more efficiently work, you attract inward investment as well as businesses in these cities are more likely to set up a European office somewhere they can get to directly, and then also you can increase frequency on other routes to DUS/AMS/MAD/MAN/BCN/HAM/PRG etc etc as some of these seats will be filled by transit passengers, making the hub more efficient and offering more choice of times and frequency for Irish originating passengers.

I don't think without the DUB/HUB we'd have the same selection of routes, frequencies and connectivity as we currently have, so it's in our national interest to encourage the continuation development.

What other response did you expect on an aviation forum though realistically ?! Of course it’s in the national interest, it brings in billions in taxes from many different directions. It employees hundreds of thousands directly and in directly.

It was naive on your behalf to expect any other type of response, if you ask a difficult complex question don’t then have a moment because people challenge you, the question and the lack of facts there in.

You have asserted it isn’t, back that up.

One factual response to you shows the simple fact that a large percentage of passengers are O&D and not transit.

• Advertisement

What was I expecting? Maybe an adult conversation on the topic I raised; should a country of 5 million people aim (and fund) an airport that can handle 50m people? You keep focusing in on a minor point because i have a view that Dublin airport is not suitable for this number of passengers, it’s a view I have, it shouldn’t mean it precludes me from talking about other aviation matters and give you the rights to shut down my view with the show me facts style of posting, it doesn’t mean I need to write a thesis on why I believe this. I do believe there is a diagnosis for people who communicate as you do and get focused and stuck on a single point!

look you’ve basically summed it up, this place is like the electric car sub forum and that’s how you like it, how dare anyone question our passion. In all my years frequenting a&a I never ever gotten this impression and there has been plenty of strange posters through the doors, maybe all the reasonable posters clears off during the cull.

Viewer 78: you said "Dublin airport location is obviously not fit for those type of numbers and in my opinion building a new airport would be daft and reckless". Such a statement naturally produced quite a critical reaction. You said you hoped for an adult conversation; well NH2013 in #6980 gave a very concise and reasonable response to one of your points.

If there is any daft element it's your assertion which I quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Dublin Airport is a thriving indigenous business enterprise in an industry in which the country is a major player (airports, airlines, leasing). It also contributes significantly to broader economic success as well as linking people together (including the Irish diaspora). So social and economic benefits.

There are certainly environmental questions to be addressed but everything else screams yes, Dublin Airport should continue to grow.

The other approach is the traditional Irish one which is to design our infrastructure based on minimum requirement for todays needs, so when it's eventually delivered 30 years in the future, it's not fit for purpose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland is not going to be a country of 5 million people when the airport can handle 50m.

The growth in capacity in Dublin airport has been methodical and incremental. It will be expanded if and when it is needed.

Also it's on an island of 7m and draws in passengers from all over that island.

The taxpayer won't be funding any works at DUB so if the DAA has a well thought out plan for future investment then what is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dublin Airport is not funded by the state in any way

Then maybe get involved in the discussion. So far your only responses have been to nitpick at people for not agreeing with you. The level of discussion you want is there in peoples responses so engage with the responses.

1) 90% is O&D traffic

2) The Irish public does NOT fund the DAA or its construction investments.

3) The Irish taxpayer derives Billions in taxes

4) 100000s of jobs directly or indirectly are supported by the airport and its activities

5) recent report said a large portion of taxes come from a handful of Multinationals, tax incomes from diverse areas are much needed and welcome.

Now lay your cards on the table and finally tell us why you don’t want or think we should have a large airport in Dublin or Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Or state where the alternative location ought to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

Just over 3million passengers passed through in May. Good to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

That might be true for the aircraft, but there's 750 personnel and their families to consider!

Advertisement