Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster House Break In / Trespass

Options
  • 03-06-2023 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,323 ✭✭✭✭

so a 16 year old, manages to get onto the property, ok, up to the building, erm ok, into the building, damage stuff… before he is detected… all in broad daylight…

The article says, Military Police are present on the campus on non opening days…. I wonder how many ? Not many enough or just enough not doing their job ?

we are living in slightly more let’s say ‘uncertain’ and socially as well as politically controversial times then previously….

yet, a highly trained and armed front line branch of the military are now not capable of keeping the Irish parliament building, the seat of our democracy, secure… ? From one 16 year old ?

intrigued to see how they managed it, scaled a fence ? Walking in through an open door or gate ? Not the first time …

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,252 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Maybe he was just going to have some food and drink in The Dail bar restaurant 😁 a Saturday closed and this happens

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Not exactly Jan 6th

• Registered Users Posts: 25,323 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Registered Users Posts: 11,326 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I suspect some security personnel will be getting a bollicking soon, but let's keep this in context

It's a public building, not a fortress, nor is it designed to be one. All the debate that happens there is open for public records and while there's probably some fairly sensitive documents held on-site, I'm not sure we'd be looking at the theft of earth shattering national secrets

Then again maybe the launch codes to Ireland's secret stockpile of nuclear weapons is actually scratched into the bench where the Taoiseach sits (along with the words "Biffo is a bollocks" 😂)

Let's say worst case scenario happened and the 16 year old somehow snuggled a load of incendiaries and explosives on-site and destroyed the building.....while it was mostly empty

It'd be a national tragedy no doubt for the lives that would be lost, not to mention losing such a symbolic building, but the reality is the Dail would just move to another building and carry on it's business.

The biggest issue would probably be the collateral damage to the national museums and archives nearby, I always wondered if it was wise putting a lot portion of the countries historical records and artifacts within a 1km square area

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭757TFFIU

Hard to know what frame of mind you have to be in to try a stunt like that... I'd class breaking into Leinster House in the same level of stupidity as trying to break into a Garda station. If he was my son, he'd never be leaving the house again after the Gardai were done with him, assuming he hadn't managed to get himself a bed out in the children's detention centre in Oberstown.

It's not the first time somebody has managed to get into what is meant to be a secure building though. A couple of years ago, it was widely reported that a person walked into the Aras and into Michael D. Higgins' office undetected while he was in there.

Like the OP I'd be intrigued to learn how he managed to get onto the property and into the building. Particularly given that the security services are meant to be present. We'll probably never know.

• Advertisement

Yeah I’d forgotten about that…. The person apparently drove through the gates of the Aras ( didn’t need to break a sweat climbing ) unchallenged at 5.30pm on September 14, 2018. They entered the Aras via the front door and confronted Higgins when he opened his study door apparently…. The negligent Garda was fined only. 🤪

now you can walk or climb into Leinster House. it must be 5 minutes from the climbing starting to reaching the door or 3 minutes walking …at least then another few minutes going about his business inside……

• Registered Users Posts: 15,248 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

You know that clown you work with ?

......that eejit who is never reliable, always late, wouldn't trust to organise a piss up in a brewery, full of sh1te, pulling sickies, that fella who just doesnt give a damn etc

That guy that you can't understand why anyone ever employed him.

That fella is is in every job out there whether it's in the private industry, in the public service, in the guards, in the health service, in security etc etc

Dunno why people are surprised things like this happen.

Well because I guess one is something but you need a team of them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

An apathetic, "shur it's grand" attitude permeates Irish life. In terms of security and defence, it can be seen in everything from our overall military capabilities to policing to security.

I used to work in the public service and there were several incidents where nutters entered offices and threatened staff. Security of buildings was non existent. But because no actual physical harm occurred, no changes were implemented. The response of management to "what if he had a knife?" was "well he didn't have a knife did he".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I think they’re called Depot Police and are think full time.

I just stuck in the video of Aongus and Sinn Fein providing the entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭mikethecop

a lot more like jan 6th in the states in fairness

and to think just 13 years later some think sf are ft to govern ,

no idea what depot police is. the gate house is manned by gardai every day on the front and back gate allocated from Pearce street station i think , internal security is military police i believe and yes its a joke

the biker may have been from the garda traffic office which is very close by or just passing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The military police are RETIRED military police serving as Dail Ushers.I know one of them.I actually was in the Dail about two weeks ago on busisness and eyballed the security on it the Dail as you would having been in the profession.TBH its fine for a country like Ireland that doesnt have a clear and present threat against its govt.No need to turn this event into the need to turn the Dail house into the green zone like out in Iraq.Just find out how his young fellah did this and improve the security around that weakness point.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The depot police are the military police based in government buildings.

There is a second video going round of that motorbike Garda holding Aongus by the threat with soldiers in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Much ado about nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Correct. Kid breaks into Leinster House. Gets caught. The end.

Yeah I always had this theory that security assignments like the Dail were sort of a glide path to retirement age. A few of the lads I've seen manning the gate there didn't look like they were going to be chasing anyone down soon

It's not a unique phenomenon, the security guards at a lot of office buildings are really just there so the owner can say there's some security presence. Seen lads with arthritic hips working security in some buildings

I imagine security is beefed up a bit when the Dail is actually in session

And like many have said, it's not exactly the highest value target. Seems the most valuable item in the place would be the book of TDs bar tabs

So I agree, just figure out how he got in and improve security

To a degree I can understand the concern of some TDs. Most of them probably get death threats on a daily basis, and it's not exactly the most comfortable work environment when you're thinking someone might break in and attack you

TBH,we in Ireland despite our virtual 34 years of ongoing terrorist problem in Northern Ireland and Narco gangs roaming our streets have a relaxed attitude to our politician's security compared to Italy or Germany, where I have dealt with politicians and their security. It's one thing I have to say is still nice in Ireland that all of our politicians, including the resident Hobbitt in the park are still approachable and contactable by the Irish citizenry and they can still be met in local clinics or bumped into, more or less, on the street.

To get to meet for example the equivalent of a German TD, is a lengthy and serious process of paperwork, finding a date, having pre-security screening,a security team checking out the location of the meeting, issuing passes and all the rest to even get you within sight of the man or minister. Once the security detail arrives,you'd swear the US president was on the way,not the local minister for roads. Have a demo outside his house? There will be a battalion of fully tooled-up riot cops there within an hour. Remember moany Joan Burton being besieged at Jobstown in her official car? Wouldnt have happened in Germany, and other probably might have been a fatality on the demonstrator's side, as her security detail would probably have pegged a couple of 9mms into the more mouthier protestors.

Maybe if we had had a few slotted TDs in our midst as did the Italians and Germans back in the 70s and 80s it might be a different story, but by and large we don't take potshots or bomb our local Reps,and like any public figures they get their share of crank and hate mail. It's how they deal with it is more important.Most ignore it as a job hazard and get on with it,and maybe take some Garda advice to be more aware of what's going on around them.

Would we rather have our pleasant and approachable system,or do we want entire streets locked down as happens regularly in Rome,as some Italian minister's wife or mistress wants to go shopping in some fancy boutique for a few hours,and Romes already bad traffic becomes chaos for a few hours as the street is locked and patrolled by multiple and voluable Italian police forces?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

As long as he/she is relaxed/humorous has togged out for a local sports team he gets the job whereas the nervous/shy guy/girl who is very qualified is deemed to not be a good fit for the company. Irish recruitment is a strange thing indeed.

It's crazy how violent/threatening type incidents are fobbed off here but get caught with a bit of dope and then you see how efficient the system is when those who control/operate it want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I actually worked in those buildings on and off for a while and used to think how easy it would be for some lunatic(s) to launch some kind of an attack. There's usually one half asleep Garda, and then a couple of overweight ushers you have to get past to get into the halls of Leinster house. Any reasonably strong person could probably barge their way in while the house is sitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

I imagine its like most Government security in buildings. Go the local Intero or whatever office and talk to the guard that's eaten to many pies. Had the misfortune one time to get something done in the local dole office. Some loon came in kicked off for about 20 mins Guards hiding in the corridor Garda eventually arrived. Like firing chairs about and hitting the both windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

During a non-open day? No, the comparison isn't there. Jan 6 was crucially about the coup succeeding by halting an active and constitutionally prescribed session of congress to count the electors, thereby triggering a constitutional crisis when the session was unable to complete as prescribed in the constitution and at the given time and place. If you were in a transition of power ceremony I don't think Leinster House will be operating with a skeleton crew.

There's also the consideration that most of the January 6th terrorists (and yes, they were effectively terrorists IMO) were armed to the teeth, whereas any Irish insurgents are unlikely to be equipped with anything stronger than sticks, rocks and some bad language

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

Dáil break-in teenager allegedly broke in two weeks before as phone pic clues emerge [and entered Iveagh House]

Sources have told us a nearby wall was vandalised with graffiti that said: “We love you, Osama bin Laden.’

think I now who this was, he's expressed similar things in the past due to a disorder.

Post edited by pjcb on

Well, they were armed with as much as they could get away with. I am still shocked Trump's law enforcement saw people in the crowd, in DC, with weapons both visible and concealed, where they are illegal for this exact reason, and they didn't declare an unlawful assembly immediately and break it up. But I digress.

Because they were Trump's people 🙄

Also I guess the cops knew they were outgunned so they had to stop things from spiralling out of control (more than they did)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

Is this the same loon that does graffiti  around Dublin like on the George or a different one ?

Aye that's true, the lad with the truck full of long guns parked nearby, and others like him presumably, would have been ready to hand those out if they had tried to enforce against the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

• Advertisement

BULLSHT!!! If this was an insurrection as claimed by the media,in a country with over half a billion KNOWN firearms, don't you think the "rebels" would have brought some more serious firepower than 13 arrested people facing firearms charges in DC? Not to mind they were members or known associates of a now known FBI false flag operation group called the proud boys? As for any Irish insurgents tking over the Dail...why bother,when you could just as easily build a DIY mortar our native "freedom fighters" have great experience of this as many of their designs can be found in Bagdad,Kabul, South Lebanon,and if a bunch of irate Padrigs could almost wipe out the Brit war Cabinet in Downing st during the Gulf war,with a bunch of converted Calor Gas bottles and a bit of Semtex.Why couldn't the same be done in Dyblin.

Advertisement