Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snooker Match Fixing Investigation - Yan Bingtao biggest name to be suspended

2»

Comments

Even when they were younger snooker was more readily broadcast (BBC used to show almost all matches they could) now it’s much harder to spectate a match.

It’s a shame definitely but I think social media has nothing to do with it. Exposure to the sport is the key. The scene in Ireland especially is not conducive to professional success.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

There are far more events on tv now than there were back in the day. Sure there were only something like 6 ranking events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Well, worldwide you will have lads willing to do it. Just need a half dozen a year to breakthrough to the pro tour.

Jackson Page is 21 and about to break into the top 64. Should be top 16 within a few years.

WST are dying to get back into China next season, I saw some suggestions the Shangai Masters will be on next September.

Whatever about these 10 Chinese players being charged for wrong doing, the Chinese market is too big and Chinese fans and the rest of the tour shouldn't be punished for this, when they've done nothing wrong and the Chinese fans have had a terrible 3 years watching us getting back to normal with loads of tournaments on in the UK.

Brother are you reading my posts in their entirety or are you just picking random points to argue with?

Yes they’re televised but as I said already the Grand Prix for instance is ONLY on ITV4. If this was the premier league or something it would be on RTE, Virgin, BBC, ITV, Sky Sports, BT sports etc etc. point being you’d have plenty of avenues to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Out of interest, do you follow soccer much? Because there are non-stop complaints about games being behind pay-wall or on stations that we can't access even if we wanted to pay, Saturday 3pm blackouts or random midweeks being exclusively on Amazon. Even something which is kinda free like the Champions League there'll be complaints that the fta broadcaster has picked the wrong game.

ITV4 isn't as inaccessible as you seem to think, it's a normal enough station that comes with 'the basic package' for lots of us. Just because you can't watch it (for which I sympathise) doesn't mean there is something fatally flawed about the snooker/tv deal.

I have Sky Glass & Eir TV it’s on neither. My point being it’s only on one channel limiting people who can’t access it. ITV doesn’t want ROI watching because they rebroadcast on Virgin.

I think my points being taken rather too literally as well. Are you actually going to try and argue that compared to other professional sports snooker is much less advertised and generally discussed? How can a sport garner popularity if it’s hardly even mentioned.

I’ll give you an example you might even have heard yourself. Monday morning I was listening to newstalk & Pat Kenny and was discussing sports news. Soccer news was talked about in fair detail for 10 mins or so, Pat literally said one sentence about the masters. It wasn’t even responded to by the sports presenter! 😂

”Judd Trump won the masters”

“Yeah”

That’ll surely encourage folks to get excited for the sport ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Mark King suspended now.

For betting irregularities around his 4-0 loss in the Welsh Open.

At his age, his career is probably over. Unless he can get the case cleared tout suite.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/03/18/mark-king-suspended-from-world-snooker-tour-as-part-of-betting-investigation-18465092/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Genghis

Didn't see that coming.

You would imagine players would knock it off while the biggest investigation in snooker history is ongoing.

To continue match fixing it can only be that they know from experience there is little chance of being found out.

Makes you wonder just how much match fixing is happening. Dark times for the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Lifetime bans for Liang Wenbo and Li Hang

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I fear this may be only the tip of the iceberg.

Hope I'm wrong

5 years for Yan Bingtao.

Zhao will be back in 15 months time at the start of 24/25 season.

These are tarnished, badly, but they can recover eventually to be top 16 or top 8 players.

I'd say they all wanted to see the back of Liang Wenbo anyway.

All in all. So far, I think snooker has handled this as well as it could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Chinese 8 ball pool about to get two more players so?

Mark King will be next on the hit list I suppose?

This was the match King was suspended for:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Liang Wenbo's rap sheet makes him look like a particularly nefarious character.

Bingtao admitted to fixing four snooker matches. A 5 year ban not long enough in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Genghis

Yes, considering his status / profile the 4 offences (Wenbo was 5), plus that he had bet on matches too, I think 5 years is on the light side too. Only 23, he will surely be back and will no doubt win more titles.

Other than that, would agree with @Arthur Daley that it seemed to have been handled well by the authorities all told. Also not as catastrophic to the Chinese dimension of snooker as maybe I feared it would be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement