Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I like Ireland in the last 20 to 25 years . Much better place .

But we do have terrible housing , disability and health service issues, all of which I freely acknowledge and blame the government for, frequently , by email and in person , when I can . I am also happy to protest peacefully outside the Dáil if required and have been known to marchtyere to do so for various reasons. Not as a member of any political party , but just as me . :)

But yes , we seem to be getting poorer , as in the majority earning the average wage and under , but those earning bigger wages are getting richer . And richer .

The most recent leak by the three FG mouths in that oped where they talked about 1000 euro back in tax for 'average workers ' really irked me .

It reminded me of the purchase of the electorate in the noughties with the SSIA funds by FF with so much else still yet to do .

And then came the crash when those SSIA funds were all some families had to live on .

There is a lot of money sloshing around from corporate tax revenue that could pretty much sort a lot of bills and catch us up over the next few years .

Think of how much more people would have in their pockets if they didn't have to pay so much in rent or mortgages or going to the doctor . Or even for food and electricity , supplemented by a windfall tax .

And then if they all made a cross party agreement to chip away continuously at these issues every single boring year ...instead of coming up with new ways to win the populist vote , and then keep forgetting to put money in the country's meter .

It's so predictably frustrating .

Immigration and its effects are just another problem in a long line of neglected problems .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭suvigirl

So when you didn't answer my question about what mess the country is in, you meant it's modern? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Would have to be after the two referendums passed for me but that would make it only 2018. In 90's and 00's we sadly had less rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

One example during the Obama presidency they deported 400k people per year from America so saying the American government does nothing about

illegal immigration is wrong

ICE is a federal agency found to control immigration and deport illegal immigrants

Right now about 20 per cent of the population in Ireland is composed of non nationals

When the boom stops many people will go back to Poland or other country's they came from as they will lose their jobs as many shops and cafes will close down

• Advertisement

Did you forget about the recession?

The unemployment rate rose from 4.2% in 2007 to reach 14.6% in February 2012.

The Central Statistics Office estimated that 34,500 people left the country from April 2009 to 2010, the largest net emigration since 1989.

Thousands of civil servants had their pay slashed, which has still not been restored to those levels.

USC anyone?

And that's just a piece of what happened.

Perhaps your personal circumstances may have made it better for you, the cost of living may be hitting you hard right now, but there is no way that the country is worse off now then it was then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Ok so you want to go back to the country of your youth? Or even...just to your youth?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,129 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Anti modernists ranting and raving on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

And that is when things started to go real bad and since then we haven't recovered. You can argue that we have but since then just look at the State services, housing is a shambles, healthcare is crumbling, Gardaí barely keeping law and order and then we have full employment but so many of those people working are struggling to pay their bills. A poster said we had a good run for 20 - 25 years, I disagree and think we had a good run for about 10 years between 1995 and 2005 and then for 3 years after that we seen the problems with house prices and then 2008 the crash happened and since then it has been down hill.

Anyways back onto the immigration issue, for me and I would say for the 99% of the population there is nothing wrong with immigration and as others have pointed out on here it is needed to fill jobs and I don't think immigration process is the problem as most that go the immigration route will be coming with visa's to work here and probably have jobs already in companies here. The issue is the asylum process, people turning up at immigration and saying they "lost" their passport or what ever and then they are bussed off to one of these hubs where they are free to come and go as you please. I also wish people would stop throwing in the Ukrainian war as a excuse, that is an entirely different issue, those people were invited here, given PPS numbers and given supports to help them as is only right and proper. It was not their fault their country was invaded. The problem is the with as I said those turning up and then claiming they have lost their passport but can were able to get on a flight and then claiming asylum. We need to have a tighter controls on this, turn up without any documentation then they are either put on the next flight back to where they came from or sent to a holding centre till their claim is processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

From my experience there seems to be three groups that support this.

People who are financially gaining from it.

People in college who live at home and have no idea what it's like to live in the real world.

People who own houses and have no kids struggling.

All are not negatively impacted by this so don't care about people's concerns and shout racist, nazi and far right etc.

From my experience there seems to be several groups that are asking questions.

People who are working and can't afford to rent or buy.

People in relationships who are both working and can't find anywhere to rent or buy.

People who are on waiting lists watching people get housed before them.

People who are spending years on waiting lists as their health gets worse or People who have friends or family that are in this situation.

Parents who see there kids and grandkids moving to other countries because they can't find accomadation here.

This is reflected in recent polls where the majority of the country is feeling negatively impacted.

It will be interesting who the activists, government and media blame when the far right parties get a few hundred votes like always in the election.

They will need to find someone else to blame when anyone questions this policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No.. when I was around in the 1970s/ 80s it was far easier as a young person to get part time work. There was no problem whatsoever finding a house to rent at a reasonable cost. HOUSE I emphasise, not a spare bed in some box room or shed. Yes, the health system wasn't as advanced but there were far more local hospitals and if you wanted a GP appointment, you'd get one within a day or so. Apart from a few months unemployed in mid 1980s, was never out of work before or since.

Ireland was Irish then and you'd know who you'd be dealing with and what to expect. No harm in some expansion of cultural horizons but we're going to end up with a mish mash of culture & society that is same across most of the western world. And that will be a great loss.

We're an island and we have the capacity to stop or greatly slow this change.

You were lucky then not have any unemployment or be forced to emigrate during the 70s/80s but it sort of displays that in any period, then and like now there are people gaining from society while others struggle.

Regarding your comment about Ireland being Irish, when do you consider someone being Irish; is it being a citizen or being born here?

I don't believe we can stop EU immigration but we could stop the amount of immigration we get from non-EU countries like Brazil and can limit the amount of asylum seekers we get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Its not really about stopping immigration, it is more about the government tightening up on the security and not what we have at the moment which looks like "Ah sure, it will be grand". Nothing more infuriating than hearing the Taoiseach say the other day that even in an asylum seeker fails in their asylum process and exhausts all avenues in that process that we say "ah sure here we give you leave to remain" and then says some makey uppy stuff about countries not accepting them back, as far as I am concerned if you fail in the asylum process then you need to leave. Also the part about leaving it up to failed asylum seekers to leave the country themselves. If an asylum seeker fails to meet the requirements for asylum and are told to leave the should made leave and not left it to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Born and raised here of course - that is what it is to be Irish.

And if you read my post fully, I was unemployed for a few months in the 1980s. But I didn't feck off to foreign climes. I stuck around, volunteered and made myself useful - then got a job from that.

It's a citizens first duty to contribute to their state of birth and leave it a better place when they die. That's what patriotism is. And why I've little time for lads 'fleeing' Brazil or Georgia or Nigeria etc. Let them go home and build up their own societies. Support and maintain their own cultures.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Denmark looks good at the moment. They have a government who seem to care about their citizens and social cohesion over virtue signalling.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

What about the kids born here now.......they will be born and bred here......do you consider them Irish.......

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

So this article from the Times by John Mooney, their crime and security correspondent, came out on Sunday. It was their main article on the front page, and yet not a birdie about it in mainstream Irish media or on here.

Yes it's behind a paywall and due to boards rules I can't post the whole thing here, they're quite strict and apparently you're only allowed to post one paragraph from the article, so I'll leave that one in bold and put the important parts in bullet points i.e. not direct quotes in order to keep with Boards rules.

but I can quote from it. Also, on a slightly different matter, I think it's great that sites like archive.is exist.

Anyway, here's some quotes from the article.

Title: Criminals ‘milk direct provision system for cash’

Dave McInerney, a retired garda who worked in the immigration system and with ethnic minorities, urged the government to be mindful of the risks posed by such crime groups to the immigration system. “This area presents lots of opportunities to criminals, both Irish and foreign. Criminals have been exploiting weaknesses in the migrant system for years but it could get worse as the issue grows,” McInerney said. . . . .

Other key Points from the article (not direct quotes):

• Gardai believe organised criminal gangs are exploiting the immigration crisis to generate income and launder money. It's very lucrative.
    • They received intelligence on one group allegedly involved in operating a direct provision centre in Leinster. Supposedly using loopholes in planning laws under emergency conditions to bypass housing regulations and convert buildings into housing asylum seekers, according to a source in Garda headquarters.
    • Allegedly the Mafia in Rome are essentially co-ordinating the contracts for food and accommodation in refugee centres. Understanding that the allocation of emergency funding is open to abuse is key to explaining how they are able to do this.
    • They use the same routes used for smuggling drugs and guns to traffic people.
    • Our "chaotic immigration system" (Direct quote) gives wonderful opportunities for organised crime gangs to launder money as outlined above.

There's more in the same vein. Going from the comments under the article the vast majority who read this are against the current "chaotic immigration system presenting unique opportunities for for both domestic organised crime gangs and their foreign associates.

I wonder what some of our NGO adjacent commenters might say about this current state of affairs? Or will they just choose to ignore this?

Post edited by Marcos on

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

That is your opinion. I think that is all it is tbh but you are entitled to it . As to say it is your own personal experience, fair enough .

Not to say that that was everybody else's experience though , when it was clearly not, from evidence and statistics from the time .

I think the country has greatly improved with closer connections to Europe and a more diverse culture.

I don't know anybody who would like to go back to the 70s or 80s except one or two people here ! Nostalgic look backs, yes, but not to try to live through it again .

All of the young people I know have a choice of parttime work no problem ,and can work fulltime if they wish . So I don't understand that point . There is no bias towards immigrants in that regard and plenty of work available .

And you were lucky re employment back then , as evidenced by the high unemployment numbers and emigration from Ireland . They are statistics not just my own personal experience by the way . You can look them up .

"Ireland was Irish then ". !!

It still is , rock on there with that... No loss to open up and air out some of the fustiness and staidness that is being shown to be present in some parts from posts here .

Life moves on inexorably and some things are better left behind while some things are worth preserving .

I think the openness and generosity of recent decades towards everyone is far more worth preserving than the diddly aye and squinting windows culture .

We risk more than just losing that by stopping immigration ..do you not see that?

Slowing it to suit our needs I can agree with .

Yes that was my point last evening .

Our government have not served us well and have been investing in the country on a purely capitalist and populist basis for the past 20 years . Or longer .

Some services have improved year on year (education...now why is that I wonder ?) But other services gave been funded properly in fits and starts and only when there is an outcry .

This means they are running to catch up instead of adding every year in a sustained way . Housing main example here secondly health , thirdly disability.

It is crazy talking about rainy day funds when , eh hello , its lashing out there for many people !

@Nuts102 I don't disagree with your post back there about the different groups.

But its not that black and white ( have to stop saying that here !)

Many posters are in a few conflicting groups and opinions would be shaped by their own life experiences , not necessarily how they find themselves now .

As with politics , nothing is that easy to put in a box with a label .

• Advertisement

Fair enough though I dont know what patriotism has got to do with emigrating or not. Working aboard is a good learning experience for many and I wouldnt insult those Irish who are living in America, Australia or elsewhere. I don't think the Brazilians are "fleeing" Brazil - they just want to learn a new language and live abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Also, the days of monoculture are at an end. It only ever happened because travel between countries was so difficult and extremely expensive in the past. Once air travel became so cheap and commonplace, we were into a whole new era. It was inevitable that we would begin to see large migration flows between countries and the demographics of nations quickly starting to change. Treating this as an aberration that needs to be stamped out is a failure of coming to grips with the modern world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

When was Ireland, or indeed any European country 'monocultural'? Isn't one of the core tenets of your narrative that Ireland / the UK etc has always been multicultural and that the migration flows occurring today are nothing out of the ordinary?

Given the persistent references to the '60s, '70s and '80s, I suspect that I am significantly younger than most posters here, including yourself. I started studying in Dublin in the the early 00s. The city was by no means 'monocultural' back then. In fact, my year in UCD was comprised of many nationalities. However, what is extraordinary today is the relative scale of inward migration to this country.

We're touching on 100K refugees arriving from Ukraine in the last 15/16 months. The count of non-Ukrainian IPAs has exploded to unprecedented numbers, in large part due to a wildly naive minister / ideologue who issued a commit hither beacon call via localized tweets. The number of language students, primarily from Brazil, is enormous. The Brazilian embassy estimates that there are up to 80K Brazilians in Ireland at any given moment in time. The volume of immigrants from the Indian sub-continent has sky-rocketed in recent years.

Are you truly suggesting that air travel wasn't cheap or common place 10, 15, 20 years ago? How can you keep a straight face attributing the extraordinary demographic change that Ireland is currently experiencing to 'air travel'? You've made some outlandish claims on threads of this nature in the past. You've just outdone yourself. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Its not inevitable in the slightest. Its a choice.

If historic nations are being dissolved out of existence through migration flows that has more to do with political culture than the fact of easy air travel.

Yes indeed.

Monoculture, religion and dominant, bullying males have seen their last days in Ireland... Praise be 🤣

Thought I saw something there for a minute .. :)

I edit 90% of my posts on boards after posting because on re-reading I usually don't like the way I've expressed myself at first. Above I deleted references to coronavirus travel restrictions and restrictions on Russian nationals as examples of how the fact of air travel doesn't make movement inevitable.

I was just about to reply but you edited it out, fair enough.

And yes, it is a choice.

But those choices are inevitable with a more open society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Nobody wants to go back to the 60s and so forth. Ireland was a totally different country in many aspects before the EU started pumping money into the country. It's a night and day difference today, in large part thanks to the 40 billion plus net gain that has been pumped in from the EU since the early 70s.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement