Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭pauldry

It's the wind direction. When we get NW winds we get what yev been getting in Dublin while the rest of Ireland bakes. Met Eireann often ignore it as they can't predict it but I do notice a lot of times on the beach a small cloud can just become one large blanket in minutes. Must be someone scientific who can explain this randomness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

Yes - it's amazing they don't look out the window a bit more often seeing as they're based in Dublin and that's where a third of the population lives.

The sun is now splitting the stones in Dublin so it's almost an exact repeat of last Wed-Friday when winds were also from the north-east. So it's a bit strange they didn't highlight this as a risk in their forecast.

It'll be funny - the 'breakdown' in the weather at the weekend will see everyone in the west lamenting the loss of the warm temps and everyone in the east welcoming them.

Anyway, we can't complain - it's been a brilliant few weeks in the east too - although it's been a bit cool at times the temps have been fine for early June and there's been lots of sun. Though I'm looking forward to a few hot and sweaty days - and the city's pavements badly need the rain...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I would have said the wind direction has been fairly steady easterly the last few days at least. Didn't think it was NE'rly for today but maybe upstream where it matters it was. I'm flicking through the hi-res cloud predictors and while some nailed the inland fair weather cloud, the Irish sea stuff was a blank.

So NE'rly -> bad for the east coast.

E'rly straight or SE'rly -> better.

?

Maybe its something that will never be tied down. It is interesting though, there's been plenty of fine weather in years gone by with similar wind directions and if anything I would have said it kept it cloud free right by the coast, with cloud only getting going inland. But that would be fair weather cloud and sure you could see that today on the satellite, didn't get going till well inland. This high stuff seems to be the tricky one. Maybe the pressure just isn't high enough? Never seen the UK get so shafted in a setup that has been brilliant for us.

But yes, getting x3 perfect days again at the weekend when you want them, makes up for it. Will be crossing fingers we get some storms at the weekend, awaiting Meteorites thoughts before I get excited however.

@pauldry I've actually lived in Sligo before and yes, so many days of cloud and drizzle that were just never forecast.

I don't see any NW winds until later in the month so I don't think our temperatures in the West will drop much. Maybe 17 to 20c and wetter next week. There's no cold on the horizon for quite a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Seen the met Office deep dive and this is the temperature trend for most of June up until 3rd week at least only difference is winds will be south easterly so a much humid feel and thunderstorms are at a higher chance of breaking out ,notice how below average southern and Eastern European is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Standard pig muck is failing again on the latest gfs run to encroach on ireland, continuing very warm, particularly in western, mid western and midland regions but with localised heavy downpours next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There is the video of it. So according to the deep dive we will have showers and thunderstorms around at times, but plenty of fine weather too. So not the traditional breakdown with a succession of fronts coming in off the Atlantic. I may have mentioned it before but I'm not looking forward to the sticker nights and rise in humidity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Yes thank you for adding the video ,I still don't know how to do that haha 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The heat looks like going on and on, indeed gaining traction into next week with temps nudging higher.

The weekend looks interesting, hard to say who will see the storms but a temporary breakdown is now odds on!

The upside down Summer continues so with the cold and wet West looking the warmest and the dry and warm East looking the coldest. Has the SSW of earlier in the year had a hand in the high over Ireland and Britain and low over the Med.

Imagine how warm July would get if it hung around. It was supposed to arrive around 10 days before it actually did but it was also mooted to break down about 3 days ago which it hasn't. Those Highs are staying right around our shores most of June. Maybe week 3 there's a hint of a low to the North but that's probably got very little support so far.

• Advertisement

13 days in a row of temperatures over 20c in Shannon so far. Well in excess of 150 hours of sun in that time.

11 out of 12 days in excess of 20c in Claremorris. 15 hours of sun many of these days

9 days of temperatures over 20c in Sligo in a row after 1 day over 20c before that in the period April and most of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

That’s equal to the late May/early June 2016 spell at Shannon which also achieved 13 consecutive days of 20C or more but this one looks like beating that. Very good for this early in the season even if it is the car park station.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

At 9pm

Shannon Airport 21°c

Cork Airport 12°c

Difference of 9°c in a not so significant distance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

In fairness SA is right beside a concrete carpark and is known for artificially retaining the heat well into the evening. Meanwhile CA is on an exposed hill about 150 metres in height I think. Still unusual of course.

Pretty groovy looking satellite on sat24 tonight

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

My Money is on a breakdown final 10 days of June and unsettled into first week of July then perhaps another reload of high pressure fest or a few plumes. There is bound to be some warm to hot conditions this July. July will probably be not as overly dry as June but feeling almost certain there will be a 3 to 5 day period of high twenties to low 30s in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Actually bitter cold in city centre this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Feeling raw here in south Dublin, had enough of this easterly by now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Sunny again in Sligo but the British cloud that's plaguing Dublin is effecting much more of the country today. Southwest may be the only area in the twenties. Well see if it burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

I don't see it as British cloud. I see it as Irish Sea cloud. It forms around the same time each day and clearly it's because the sun rises and evaporates relatively cool Irish Sea water forming a low level cloud bank trapped under the inversion as it rolls inland. It's becoming more invasive and persistent as the days roll on. I suspect it will get pretty far west today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

God but you brought back a memory there I remember on the beach at Salthill in Galway on a beautiful day cloud free day when this small cloud formed and gradually got bigger and blocked the Sun for most of the day as it had got so big.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Another continental style morning in Tralee, breakfast on the patio. Went out for a meal last night, dined al fresco sitting out until late in a light summer dress. I've no recollection of such a prolonged beautiful spell so early in summer. Maybe when I was a child back in the 70s. This could turn out to be one of those classic summers that people talk about decades later. This is a beautiful time of year to get this weather with everything in full bloom and long light filled days. Stunning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭snowstreams

The cloud reached athenry overnight too. That’s the first cloudy morning here in about a week.

im taking it as a sign to drain the kids paddling pool. The water from it is being pumped onto some newly planted trees. The ground is very dry now.

Cloud everywhere bar the West now. Bye sun! For today anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So the Met Eireann morning forecast is similar to the UKMO deep dive forecast , humid and muggy nights with thundery showers at times but a good deal of dry weather also next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Out of interest. ICON seems to have done fairly well on the clouds. It's one I have been assessing over the last while to see if these things can be better predicted the evening before. It's almost bang on. Perhaps the cloud bank rolling into the SW isn't as gloomy as modelled but it's definitely there on the infrared version.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very cloudy in Galway this morning, some breaks but also gets thicker at times. The cloud seems so low and thin, almost as if you could swat it away with your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It was blue skies and sunny in Salthill at 9am this morning. There was some haze over the Burren hills. We have a light cloud now and it's a little chilly compared to the last 2 weeks.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I find with SE'lies, they can often pick up advection fog along the east coast due to the higher humidity over the relatively cool sea. In fact I see it so often that I just associate the two together and anticipate an outbreak of fog at some point in the day. Had a lot of that August-September 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

Advertisement