Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Its not a demand but a request which the airline could fund. It is good for the airport too as there are less people to screen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Thank you. I never knew about the bus.

To continue my rant 😊, maybe Aer Lingus could be clearer on this

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Paul2019

Aer Lingus would need to focus on the needs of the customer for that to happen. A big culture change like that is unlikely.

Yep. Such a shame. Cheap and easy to do.

• Advertisement

Yep. Such a shame. Cheap and easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

winter routes added/increases ex Cork

Cork-Tenerife X 2 weekly Tue/Sat

Cork-Malaga X 3 weekly Tue/Fri/Sun

Cork-Lanzarote increased from X2 weekly to X3 with it operating X4 around the Christmas period

Cork-Amsterdam increased also, the later EI844 is increased to X5 a week, I’m not 100% sure it last years schedule but I think the later one was X3 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭kub

Does that suggest that maybe EI are going to base 3 ac at Cork, rather than the 2 at present and having Dublin based ac doing W rotations to the bucket and spade routes.

3 aircraft based in Cork for the winter. For 24 summer looks like back to 2 again but that could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Ei494 left 4 and half hours late ei deh wasn't due back from Amsterdam till 13.55 how many 320 are short

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Wish EI reverted back to their 1996 livery!

It was a beautiful livery, and it only needed a tweak, similar to what KLM did to their current livery.

New livery of EI is thrash!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

T5 is getting a large renovation/expansion (into the space that T6 used to occupy)

As for the airside bus, not as easy as you think. Because the terminals in JFK are run by the airlines themselves. And there would be no single bus, because those inbound EI flights might have connections to 3-4 other airlines (each in its own terminal)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭martco

can I ask anyone familiar with EI please...

if are there any plans in future to run a route to Sicily, Catania CTA?

thinking they ran from Dublin a few years back

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

It could happen, but then again It may not. Basically no way to predict unless the airline themselves make an announcemnt.

I read something within the last week (Times or maybe the Indo) that stated that "Southern EU routes were performing well" for EI.

But no new routes will happen until next April/May, maybe getting announced before September this year? No guarantee that CTA will be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I last remember CTA was due to come back as part of the Summer ‘21 schedule but further travel restrictions saw it axed as the airline focused on a smaller, more reliable network for that covid hit season.

Not sure what happened last year, seems like a natural route for Aer Lingus at the moment considering the strength in that market.

I would imagine it was cut due to reduced number of A320’s. As the fleet increases I’m sure it will come back it was a well established route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

G-EIDY on the way into DUB now, is it being swapped out for another 330 or just in for some maintenance…??

There is a scheduled 2 day gap in the MAN-JFK service so no flight on 6/7 June

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Well, the MAN-JFK service is not due to operate for the next two days but returns on the 8th, so I'd say maintenance. The EI UK aircraft visit DUB quite regularly for short checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Completely agreed, but the coloured paint weighs more so there's less fuel burn with eurowhite. Bean counters win over aesthetics.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Doesn't seem to bother Ryanair who are surely more into penny-pinching than anyone.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

This would be another example of how far stretched the widebody fleet is.

Wonder will IAG get any orders in for EI at the Paris Air Show this month ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The EI fleet is indeed stretched, but the UK offshoot is legally separate and based outside the EU. Therefore the fleet can't be treated operationally as one and I don't think EI-registered aircraft can simply be assigned to the UK operation - certainly not unless the CAA was prepared to grant a temporary derogation. It's presumably simplest just to plan for a couple of days when a route won't be flown, especially if the dates are known well in advance.

It was never scheduled to operate on those two days so it was fully planned. Quietest days and the UK schools break way later than ours so not peak season in MAN

EI scrapped EI-LAX and EI-GEY has still not returned to service so its not for the want of aircraft

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

Regarding orders for EI, it's strange it's taking so long. So many large orders have and are coming from the majors, soaking up slots, so IAG (for EI) really need to get something on the books to begin the 330 replacement cycle (with whatever they're thinking)... They're not young.

Didn't DUZ stand in few weeks ago for EDY when it went tech over their though ? Brexit made it all the more difficult I believe, and not just for EI but for Ryanair and easyJet to name a few.

But still the fact that EI had to plan to knock the JFK flights on the head for a couple of days still isn't ideal.

GEY is in Bordeaux having maintenance so shouldn't be too much longer till it's back in action. Either way if EI want to keep with the demand that's been seen all over the world for air travel they need to start getting some orders in.

It's reckoned this year that Boeing and Airbus will receive the most orders ever so delivery slots are going to be very busy over the next 5 years particularly for the A320neo and Max's. IndiGo have serious number of orders in for the neo and are also expected to up that again this month at Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

Ramping up widebody production is going to take time too, moreso in this climate with shortages of virtually everything - including people. Riyadh and Air India just swiped a load of 787s (and Airbus' for Air India), Emirates is about to order big again (a350-1000s I'd bet), LH/AF/KLM about to order widebodys, Qantas about to order this year to replace their a330s (they might stick with 787s for simplicity), Philippines nabbed 11 350s, Delta is looking for 767/330 replacements (likely Airbus)... And others I've forgotten about.

Perhaps they have some slots pencilled in awaiting an official order or leasing options, but... Tick-tock.

IAG are expected this month to order the replacements for BAs 777-200s likely the A35X or 787-10 HGW. TK are supposed to be looking at putting in an order for 600 planes as well 😱. I think it's taking so long for EI because Covid has made them more conservative or apprehensive then ever.

My *opinion* for fleet renewal is that EI should put in an order for 8-14 widebodys over the next 5 years including UK based frames with expansion in mind if slots allowed. This is assuming that they don't intend on running the A330s up to 25-30 years old like we're seeing with some 767s and 777s.

The -200s might come close to that given that they have been stored for a while but I can't see the -300s going for that long.

And the controversial bit.......If EI knew they could fill out an A350, be it the -900 or 1000 for routes like JFK or ORD then I don't see it being a bad move at all however they would need to offer a premium economy product on them.

Regarding short haul, again with the way demand has soared about 6 a321neos in all economy wouldn't be a bad idea either, especially for holiday destinations like Spain and Portugal. In saying that do EI intend of running 14 LRs and XLRs across the pond once the latter has been delivered ?

The 8 LR's are designed for conversion to all Y, the emergency exit behind the wing is plugged for that eventuality

There are 6 XLR's coming, and another 4 32N's so progress but really not enough.

A330-900 might be an option but the A350-900 would be ideal for SFO where its performance/fuel/capacity makes it a winner, its marginal on JFK/ORD/BOS as the A330 is a lot cheaper to buy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Advertisement