Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

There are lots of attempts at bullying people by glassy-eyed bureaucrats of both sexes who think other people are just there to be 'managed' and moved around like pieces on a chessboard.

I'll stick with Jesus Christ and I'm not dead yet (and still in good health!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Indian sub continent..😯 Doctors nurses carers, all working and paying there own way. Very independent and self reliant people. Similarly Brazilians. Not as well qualified in the main but here to work and contribute.

Not an issue and you putting them in that post goes to your bias.

Ukrainians... war refugees... as has been said by ToS.. Off limits.

Strazdas was not discussing recent influx which is down to war and current government policy, but the gradual change over the last few decades which is what the conversation is about, which is entirely down to ease of travel.and our choices.

Try to keep up with the conversation before you leap in to lambast someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭suvigirl

We still don't have the numbers of immigrants into the country that we had in the early 00s.

And the Ukrainian has caused a massive surge in numbers, take out that 80,000 , numbers are not so high.

I can think of other examples from history..the Benes Decree for example.

My point:

Western governments are never passive about mass migration when it doesn't suit them for whatever reason.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Yes, there's nothing inevitable about it. The deliberate choice is being made by FFG, at the behest of the EU, completely against the wishes of the people. (This govmt would pull in even more immigrants if they could find a way to justify it.) Now we are paying overseas funds to house/feed our "new friends" and also paying NGO's to re-educate us regarding our hateful traditions. Anyone that considers this as a welcome new dawn certainly has my sympathies for their situation!

They are all extreme examples.

Czechs reacted during invasion and war.

Coronavirus restrictions were a reaction worldwide to a pandemic.

Russia.. They have only had 25 years of easy travel in and out of their country in the last 100 years.

None of these are examples of Western governments in normal circumstances.

And this is off topic I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Can you please link to 2002 / 2003 stats around inward migration to Ireland corroborating that assertion? I'd also appreciate a breakdown of the various migration streams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

Thanks for posting that link Marcos.

Not surprising that the mainstream media on this island aren't covering it one bit. If that allegation concerning the Mafia in Rome, the Casamonica Clan, co-ordinating the contracts for food and accommodation in the refugee centres, if that allegation is true, then the Irish Government is basically handing money over to one of the most vicious and predatory international organised crime syndicates on the planet.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

My bias? I work in tech, an industry known to be heavily populated by Indians. I suspect I interact with more Indians on a daily basis than you have throughout your entire life. One of my team is Brazilian. Guess who was at my home for Christmas dinner because he has no family in this country. I thought you were capable of a little more logic, but evidently not.

That poster made the ridiculous assertion that 'air travel' is a significant contributor to the profound demographic change Ireland is currently experiencing. Just sit back and think about that for a moment. You're well aware that the root cause is government policy and to be fair to you, I've seen you articulate that view in other posts and take onboard the reasonable suggestion that inward migration flows can be regulated.

Frankly, it isn't particularly difficult to 'keep up with the conversation' given the caliber of contributors to this thread..

The EU has no authority over Ireland immigration policy.

The EU has nothing to do with Ireland accepting asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

It was 2007/ 2008...

There has been a significant fall in the number of people arriving in Ireland seeking asylum compared to this time last year. There was two-and-a-half times fewer in recent months than the same time last year.

Is the monthly breakdown for net new asylum applications in 2023 available?

So why did you mention them as if it was an issue?

It didn't come across as not, an isdue for you in the way you said 'numbers from Indian subcontinent skyrocketing in recent years'.. but forgive me if I took you up wrong!

I doubt very much that I have less experience with people from India and the Phillipines than you have, but I will leave that to your very active, it seems, imagination 🤣

His contribution was regarding ' over the years' as I have already clarified for you that is what we had been discussing prior to your interruption.

I do not post for your approval nor does anyone else I would imagine.

You on the other hand appear to believe we are hanging on your every word.

As to your contribution I think it would have spared everyone if you had read the CONTEXT of the posts before you went for the jugular. Your comment is entirely not without merit, I will be generous enough to allow.. but as related to the discussion between the rest of us it was... well.. how can I say this without upsetting you futher?... not really the point at all.

And finally I can safely say that if you choose to leave that is your prerogative.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

I can only find up to March

Jan 1,300

Feb 831

Mar 858

March last year 1,625

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"All of the young people I know have a choice of parttime work no problem ,and can work fulltime if they wish . So I don't understand that point."

And where are you basing that on? Young people who are living at home in the likes of Dublin, Cork or Galway etc?

Much tougher in more rural parts where there are fewer options and where in several industries, the starter off part time jobs are filled by immigrants and refugees. With no realistic prospect now of Irish rural young people renting in one of the bigger urban areas as the wages from such employment and rents in same are completely out of kilter.

Be some kick back this year in many coastal areas that rely on seasonal work and people holidaying. Accommodation owners and some shops making a packet but lots of downstream tourism jobs are f***ed. These traditional outlets for summer work etc.

You do know that Dublin and other cities have the majority of immigrants?

Ate you saying it is ok for our kids to compete for jobs etc but not rural kids?

This lends a whole new meaning to your claim about being Irish born and bred!

Apartheid for urban vs rural Irekand?

• Advertisement

That is certainly an encouraging trend. Let’s hope the positive trajectory continues throughout the year.

It also suggests that there are tangible measures that can be implemented to regulate flows, hopefully particularly targeted at more spurious applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And yet north of 70,000 people have arrived here this year,the majority 50,000 + are from Ukraine, that leaves 20,000 others arrived here and still coming and we are only in June

How do your numbers reconcile with those of that poster? Who is the credible data source here?

Just saw in the Irish Times today "We're a sparsely populated island".

Newsflash: NIMBYs will fight tooth and nail to preserve the 'village feel' of every town in Dublin - and their TDs will row in behind them.

If you struggle to build apartments in Raheny, Milltown, Dundrum, Clontarf then what does it matter whether these areas are 'sparsely populated' or not? They are either off limits to new builds or available to new builds.

If they are off limits then there is no good sense in just dumping masses of people onto this island.

This sparseness is what older voters demand for their areas.

It was the mid 2000s when it was highest

maybe you were too young, but there was massive public discontent with asylum seekers entering the country in the early 2000s, we had a referendum about Irish citizenship in 2004, as a result of the anchor -baby issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I think the nation on the whole are in collective shock and they are livid – they are watching 1000’s of mainly economic migrants (excluding the UA's obviously) arriving here for a party the government invited them to and talk about being rude by turning up to this party with your hands hanging - not only did they not bring a nice bottle of wine, many didn’t even bother bringing a passport. To recap, in the first 4 months of this year 1500 party-goers arrived at Dublin airport with no documentation and most likely another 500 party-goers in through the North, again with no documents/passport. So that's 500 p/m or 6000 pa and that's just the passport trashers - The IP office have't the staff to sift through 100 p/m never mind the 500 p/m turning up for Roderic's Rave

Of course some will say ‘no problem, they’re fleeing persecution etc’ – well that may have worked when a lad was being chased through a forest by soldiers with dogs and drops his passport as he climbs the barbed wire border fence – but not travelling through numerous safe countries or uprooting from an existing safe country to get to treasure Ireland – Of course there’s no arguing with these people as: ‘There are none so blind as those that will not see’

These passport trashing lads are fleeing nothing more than having been born in a bit of a sh!thole - Think I'll nip over to the Vico Rd later, call into some massive house with a tennis court and swimming pool and tell them I think I can have a better life in their gaff. I'll let ya know how I get on

That Gript question to Leo was fantastic work - The other saps with their mics must have felt embarrassed for not having the balls to ask such a question - complete wimps! In fact, that's the first time I've seen a Gript mic beside the other blouses mics - I wonder will we see it again or will the govt spin monkeys/minders/PR crew try to exclude the only media outlet that asks real questions. Love they way the RTE mic is dominated by everyone else

I'd guess LV was referring to Albania - pretty sure they don't take back bogus AS's from the UK and likely here too. A strong government (if you could find one) would have hinted to their Albanian colleagues that when their application for EU membership comes up that the recommendation must be passed unanimously and can be veto'd by a single EU country. - "Of course Mr Ambassador, we'll be happy to keep your chancers here. In fact it would be very helpful to us to get a direct insight into your country with them before deciding which way to vote in the EU council accession discussion. Talk soon, bye"

No wonder Albanians are coming here in their droves - Just simply get here and you're sorted. Have your asylum application rejected, Govt can't send you back - checkmate to the Albanians

I literally have no idea how anyone can defend this - 500 passport trashers per month and they're - 'No, they don't need a passport they just need a big hug'

Christ!

• Advertisement

Likewise Nimbys all over the country.

Again are people trying to make this an urban Ireland vs Rural dovide?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement