Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Yes, nato has done its job. Very good. And now its getting a bit late. Nato has gotten the old western Europe through that time in history so that Europe could go on to develop the ability to stamp out any threat by itself.

And now we see large budget increases and rearmament by Poland, Germany, France, and others. The picture becoming clear that the new expanded free Europe can quite certainly put Russia back in its place if need be on a normal day. Let alone when Russia is busy getting its ass beaten in Ukraine. (The loss stats are immense)

The future sees a freshly beaten and very much diminished Russia, now with the previously surprise bonus of a tooled up Ukraine at its soft underbelly, an unfriendly 2000+km long indefensible border from Finland to the Black sea, and no more EU oil/gas market. All while EU countries pour billions into sending their stats in the opposite direction to Russias, widening the gap.

And at that point Russia can have all the ambitions it wants, but if had best whisper them. So job just about done, thanks nato, youve done more than enough. Getting about that time to wind down. Not to do more. Why would you want to keep going, and why are you intent on filling in the whole EU map (incl Ireland), why are you opposed to the EU's own mutual defense. Why does America seem so unfriendly towards European strategic autonomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭purplepanda

"Disband NATO" LOL! This what the hard left Pro Putinist crusty faction in Ireland are really demanding.

Straight from the traitor playbook of Daly, Wallace & PBP, those same propagandists for the oppression carried out by the Iranian, Chinese & Russian totalitarian regimes.

Time for Ireland increase to upgrade & modernise it's defence forces, with a similar budget for other nations with similar sized populations & standard of living.

Optional NATO membership can wait until the above is achieved, proper military cooperation with our fellow EU & neighbouring nations is however essential.

Even SF, GP & LP are starting to realise Defence spending needs to increase,

Who really cares about the rest of the Ukraine are Nazis / Time for Peace / Ukraine is Russian / America started it all apologists. The self same cretins who say America & Britain will defend us, so Ireland doesn't need a military, whilst despising both those nations.

Obvious bait.

I have no association with the hard left, Wallace, Pbp, Daly. No sympathy for Putin. I dont detest America or Britain. I do support increasing our military capabilities.

Some people here are just so stuck in their tracks that theyve lost their objectivity. Ideologues, lost in old debates. The same people who would argue whether the approaching comet was a lefty comet or a right wing comet.

Nato dislikes csdp and the continual growth of european autonomy. Why some Europeans wouldnt want to grow towards more autonomy and less dependence is quite curious. Nato is full of nutbags, like Erdo or (previously) Trump, and we need our own option. Even the UK has been getting involved again, and Denmark recently signed up, even though theyre a nato founder and previously stayed out. Guess that makes them rolly smoking, hard lefties by the standards of the old record players in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

'The whole notion again of depending on other countries to provide military capability is so utterly selfish.'

But that is what Ireland joining Nato would mean, the only difference is it would be 'official'. Plus I am very skeptical about the capabilities of NATO they are hamstrung by Germany and its dependance on oil from you know who. If NATO had real strength the current situation would

• Never have arisen - through soft/hard power
    • Or being quickly ended - - through soft/hard power

Would Ireland officially joining a fairly impotent club help it in it's defence? When the reality is that the USA and UK will race to Ireland's aid in any case.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭purplepanda

No one will be running to Irelands defence in the event of an attack on the nations sovereignty unless the Irish state fights back with serious intent. That means military & civilian citizens losing lives in sufficient numbers that other nations & potential allies believe we have defended our nation with sufficient valour & heroism.

If the Irish government & military surrendered to a foreign oppressor without putting up a serious fight, no other nation would be bothered about losing their sons & daughters to liberate a nation that didn't sufficiently fight back when attacked.

In such a scenario as above I can see many traitor quislings, especially from the far left would be collaborating with the oppressor for their own gain. The quislings already apologise for the actions of totalitarian regimes & are certainly compromised already.

The duty of any sovereign nation is to defend itself & people to the best of it's ability. Not to neglect the defence of it's territory & continually undermine the funding of it's military defence budget.

• Advertisement

Then what we need is increased defense spending.

Not to sign up to an alliance which may well be the very cause of the same un-necessary death and injury to our soldiers which we were trying to avoid in the first place.

Our soldiers being given cannon fodder assignments in some distant land because of some nato related political fukery is more probable than an invasion here. So lets just not go down that road.

And don't forget, that mad yoke across the pond is running for 2024. Good odds he'll win too.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

This Austrian guy saying we should be kicked out of the EU if we don't join NATO. This guy is at it a lot. It's people like him that are the ones lobbying over government to join NATO.

These are the kind people who are lobbying our government on the behalf of defence corporations. He's Austrian so his country would benefit as they have their own defence companies. It's nothing really to do with being friendly to Ireland and helping us to defend ourselves but their enemies would become our enemies and we'd be throwing away all that goodwill that we have with UN peacekeeping just so we can join an organization that some of it's members like to go around the world and throw their weight around and in the process creating enemies for them which would then become ours and for what?

For us to buy their trinkets which doesn't help the average man and woman on the streets and only lines their own pockets. people high up in government are all for this as they stand to get somthing out of it for themselves while the rest of us won't. We are being blitzed now in the media since the war in Ukraine happened as they see this as an opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I have never heard of him myself...That is a loopy tweet though. Apart from the "expelled from the EU" rubbish...I mean Austria may have reasonable sized military (compared to us) and they may also make weapons (Irish Army uses some I think), but it is not in NATO either and no sign of joining afaik!

However I do think you should lay off the conspiracy theories.

IMO the weapons companies really could not give much of a hoot now about Ireland's paltry military spending, or whether we join NATO.

If the govt. does want any significant military "trinkets" as you put it, I expect they could be on a waiting list!

Even if they implemented all equipment purchase recommendations of their reports, I think it would be quite minor in context of needs of Ukraine and the rearmament that is getting into full gear in Europe outside the nice little bubble here in safe + secure Ireland.

What is the conspiracy theories that you accuse me of and can you point them out to me? thanks. I actually think that is the reason what they're looking out for is their own defence industries interests over Irelands. I don't think they have Irelands interests at heart and it's all just about money for them. The fact is that no matter waht or how much we'd buy it wouldn't help us in any way if the world went to crap. The only ones to benefit from this is the defence undustries, their lobbyists and whoever else in government gets a future jb down the line or would have shares/stocks in those companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

But sure Austria isn’t in nato. Is he calling for them to expelled as well? Or is he just a bit simple

• Advertisement

Austria isn't in NATO but it would stand to benefit as it has it's own defence industry. He seems to do a lot of Pro-NATO stuff. I hope they're paying him well.😂

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-polytics/3353368-gunther-fehlinger-austrian-economist.html

Speaking at a pro-NATO event

Calling for the Dismantling of Russia which will play into Putins playbook that the west wants to destroy them.

And his Youtube channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

To be fair it probably would be the UK we bought from. If we were buying anything easy supply chains. We would jus buy their NATO standard kit.

More than likely yes. The UK would take up the bulk i'm sure. On an EU level I'd say the government will buy a few items from various other EU states just to show "EU solidarity" or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

The case for joining or official co-operation with NATO has had one major influence. Danke Col. Putin.

Are there any reasons other than 'the russian boogieman will get us'.

The idea that increased questions and discussions in Ireland around our neutrality & mooted increased military spending are a result of pressure or lobbying by outsiders is a conspiracy theory IMO. It is the invasion of Ukraine and the more unstable situation in Europe (and elsewhere) combined with fact that we have let our military rot away so that it is now almost useless for anything that has driven this.

Of course outsiders that think Ireland needs to do more/spend on its military have their reasons for it beside our own welfare. That is natural. I think a major one could be it will relieve some of them (UK, maybe France??) of the burden of some tasks they do at the moment (monitoring and patrolling "our" skies and "our" claimed maritime Exclusive Economic Zone) when they are very busy with other stuff.

I admit I am sure people involved in NATO probably do want to see it expand + have more neutral/non aligned European countries join (though Ireland brings little benefit to NATO), and the people selling weapons of course won't refuse a sale even when glutted with orders as they are right now. However they are not driving discussions/debate here IMO. By the way, I repeat my own belief that we do not need to join NATO.

All countries get lobbied and by various sectors. Ireland actually gets lobbied a lot by various ones including American Chamber of Commerce. Since this war in Ukraine started they have increased this ten-fold. Ireland does well in UN peackeeping and has built up a good reputation there and we'd be throwing it all away just to join NATO.

I think the government would want us in that but the reason they haven't come out and stated so is because they know that the majority of Irish people are against it. Leo Varadkar was against gay men adopting children but soon changed when he knew most people were for it. It's also why Micheál Martin said we wouldn't need a referendum when it came to NATO because he also knows it wouldn't pass.

We should increase wages for our defence forces and being an island nation i would also be for more naval resources but to go all out and buy weapons of war just for them to be stored in warehouses and not used just so our leaders and government can get a pat on the head. We've already seen the wastefulness over the last couple of years.,over two billion for just one hospital! I feel that money should be better spent elsewhere that will also actually help the Irish people.

@Scipri0

All countries get lobbied and by various sectors. Ireland actually gets lobbied a lot by various ones including American Chamber of Commerce. Since this war in Ukraine started they have increased this ten-fold. Ireland does well in UN peackeeping and has built up a good reputation there and we'd be throwing it all away just to join NATO.

I don't know if it has increased so take your word for it there. On our "reputation" I don't think we would be throwing it away (although, as said I see no need to join NATO now).

Already discussed Finland's (or Sweden's) reputations with a previous poster as an example. Are they global bad actors/warmongers/aggressors now because they decided to join NATO? I don't think so. They will be judged by how they act and the countries who bear animus towards them (Russia being the main one) won't have changed much. I think our reputation around the world may be worth less than you believe also as regards our security. Sadly there are definitely battle lines of sorts being drawn in the world again, just like the Cold war. We may not be able to sit this out as completely as last time, and the world knows what side we are on (that of the US/EU/West) regardless of joining NATO or not.

I think the government would want us in that but the reason they haven't come out and stated so is because they know that the majority of Irish people are against it. Leo Varadkar was against gay men adopting children but soon changed when he knew most people were for it. It's also why Micheál Martin said we wouldn't need a referendum when it came to NATO because he also knows it wouldn't pass.

I don't think you can be so certain about the "government", there may be individual politicians that want it - I don't know and you probably don't either. It could be that some in FF/FG (I mean they have never showed interest in defence/military stuff before as far as I recall?) would see it as a cheap way to formally outsource Irish defence and security (given, as I have said the world is not as stable as it was). Then they can forget about it all for good! That Ireland join (if NATO will have us quickly - I would have some doubts??) and be a giant (relatively speaking) "Iceland". As you say, I don't think it would be popular. Could be wrong, but I can't see govt. taking Ireland into NATO without a referendum on it anyway.

We should increase wages for our defence forces and being an island nation i would also be for more naval resources but to go all out and buy weapons of war just for them to be stored in warehouses and not used just so our leaders and government can get a pat on the head. We've already seen the wastefulness over the last couple of years.,over two billion for just one hospital! I feel that money should be better spent elsewhere that will also actually help the Irish people.

I agree with a lot of that. Nobody wants money wasted. They do have a report on their desks on this, giving the govt. different options. That was not a knee jerk action driven by insecurity/fears on foot of the war in Ukraine, it was commissioned well before it. Anyway my main change of mind post invasion of Ukraine is that govt. should work to do pretty much everything in that, rather than letting the report gather dust (as sometimes happens). I don't like seeing money being spent on military, weapons etc. but unfortunately I don't think there is a choice, doesn't seem like humanity is growing up and leaving warfare behind any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Just think what that 2 Billion could do for our defences! A total waste of resources that still isn't finished is in the wrong place and will I'm sure be unfit for purpose.

Our reputation actually helped Ireland get the seat on the UN Security Council when it was up against Canada.Ireland got more votes because they(Other countries) saw Canada as an extension of U.S. policy and in the end we won that seat.

Pro-Palestinian and other groups point to Canada's Middle East policies as a factor in the failure to secure a seat. Canadians for Justice and Peace in the Middle East (CJPME) issued a statement saying the defeat "proves that Canada's failure to demonstrate leadership on human rights and international cooperation has isolated it from world opinion."

"In recent months, Trudeau has also been relatively quiet on the threats of Israeli annexation, especially when compared to the vocal and long-standing condemnations from competitors Norway and Ireland," the group said.

Perceptions that Canada hasn't been pulling its weight in UN peacekeeping and development aid likely also hurt its bid, he said.

"These contests are complex, and we are concerned with the inaccurate suggestion from anti-Israel groups that Canada's defeat was a result of its historical pro-Israel policies, a single and irrelevant issue. This distracts from reflection about the campaign and the actual obstacles that prevented a successful outcome," Fogel said in a statement.

The War in Afghanisstan got UN approval for NATO but when it came to Iraq the U.S. had to muster up a "Coalition Of The Willing" and Iraq was invaded illegally and some of those countries that wen along with that, Many of them eastern european states had no problem joining the U.S. and attacking Iraq and they're the same countries now that are going on about Russia attacking innocent countries even though Russia is in the wrong here now but it just goes to show that when they do it, it's fine and anyone else and their "Breaking international law"

The reason because a few in government won't come out and admit it openly is because they know that it isn't popular with the Irish public. As i said above they're against things but quickly change their minds if they get public support. I think to end all debate that they should indeed do the referendum just to settle the debate and put it to bed but i find the reasons they're not so quick with these is when they know they'll lose out. Like dragging their heels on giving us a vote for to not privatised our water which was one condition from the Troika with our bailout loans. They should just come out and put it to a vote and whatever the results are then at least the majority of the Irish people will have spoken. Take care.

• Advertisement

@Scipri0 You are right. I think what may be a factor there is Irish rhetorical/UN support for the Palestinian cause (the article about Canada mentions this anyway).

I think that has been strong and quite consistent over the history of the state. You will note the other country that got a temporary seat (mentioned in that article you link) is Norway, which like Canada is a NATO member ironically!

Even if we did join, there is no requirement for the members to be involved in things like the Iraq war (a lot of NATO members disagreed with that).

That was a disgrace and did alot of damage to US standing, but I don't agree with equivalences being made with Russia's invasion of Ukraine. It is a technical equivalent in that the US invaded and ousted the recognised govt. of a soverign state + had no UN mandate to do this & no other justifications, but there are differences between Ukraine and Iraq as victims and also in the aims of the US and Russia, and how they have conducted their wars.

On a NATO referendum, yeah if govt. decide they want to do it (join NATO) and want a "yes" from the people, it will not be held until they think they have a shot at winning (vs embarassing themselves with a large defeat!). Again that seems fairly normal politics in any democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think there is no point in advocating NATO membership if a strong majority of Irish people are against it.

There is sadly every reason why Russia would be interested in attacking and occupying Ireland in an event of war. After all, Ireland is a strategically located island in the Atlantic, thus it is of military interest.

Further more, Ireland doesn't even have decent air defenses. - it's actually done by the much hated Royal Air Force of NATO-Britain.

So much for "neutrality".

But still the majority of the Irish are in favour of neutrality.

On a NATO referendum, yeah if govt. decide they want to do it (join NATO) and want a "yes" from the people, it will not be held until they think they have a shot at winning

You probably noticed that Micheal Martin cam out a few months back stating that we mightn't need a vote for that reason because he knows deep down that it will more than likely be rejected and if he tried to force it through then i can only imagine what would happen there. Even since that highest tax take of €20 billion we had more people and groups telling us that we should put it towards defence and while that's not all bad like wages but to buy items that might be stored in warehouses for years then i'd be wary.

Yes, I do think that Russia could have a serious interest in occupying Ireland in the event of a war.

However I don't expect anybody in Ireland to have the same opinion as myself.

Furthermore, I just don't see the point in hiding the idea that the Royal Airforce is looking after Irish airspace, while Irish politicians continuously feed the story of neutrality whilst maintaining a military which is clearly beyond Swiss standards.

Remember, Ireland is not beyond interest. Also the Nazis were interested in invading Ireland.

And on a peaceful side, the Russians did like Aeroflot and Shannon airport in the 80ies.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There is zero need for a referendum on Nato membership, it's been discussed numerous times already,

Why do we need a fire engine if there is no fire?

Would the Americans defend Ireland in the event of a Russian invasion? It's possible since there are so many of Irish heritage in America. Also there is a lot of American investment in Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Remember, Ireland is not beyond interest. Also the Nazis were interested in invading Ireland.

Yes, then realised they couldn't do it.

There are legitimate reasons to join NATO, for seeing off a Russian invasion is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sure why not just give them Shannon airport and disband the defense forces if that's the case,

Set up a permanent US overseas base here,and no need to ever worry about defense spending ever again or Nato membership

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be so sure. Remember Putin has fooled the Western world for years, even decades. The Russians will never stop undermining the Western world by whatever way or means they can.

And if Ireland is so strongly against NATO membership, at least a "swiss style" military would be a requirement.

I wouldn't underestimate American interest in Ireland. After all, American investment is quite substantial and it's a wise decision not to do anything against American interest or American investment. Even the British didn't dare executing DeValera because he was an American.

Was it only Irish security during the visit of the American president? Or did the Americans do that themselves, on Irish soil? No idea.

I know it's a hot and disputed subject.

Advertisement