Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

You had a sound teacher.

I love math's. I'm not saying I have a math's degree...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I sat my Leaving Cert exactly 30 years ago this month. Yikes!! 😬

I did a pretty good Leaving, I was good academically in school but maths was not my forte (that was geography, my favourite subject) - dropped down to pass maths in 5th year but we had an excellent pass maths teacher who explained everything very well. Got an A in pass in the LC thanks to her!

Looking back now, given that I was living alone in the family home 5 days a week in 5th and 6th year in school with my dad working up in Belfast and coming back every Friday evening, I had a lot of self-discipline for a 16/17/18 year old!

I just about scraped into my college course points wise but some lads in my college course who got 500+ points in their Leaving actually failed first year, whereas I thrived academically in college and went into an academic career afterwards.

Feck. 27 for me.

You will join us for the meet up?

Plus as this is an online dating thread, I must say my beef and veg casserole was yummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

For those who might be a bit impatient in terms of girls not meeting up right away, just don't shoot yourselves in the foot. I matched a guy today who seemed nice and within 3 messages he'd asked me out, I politely said I'd definitely be open to meeting him but like to chat to someone a bit first, and he unmatched me.😂 He was totally my type looks wise so if he'd held his honkers and chatted a bit to see how we got on, I'd definitely have been up for meeting him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Sounds like he might not have been looking for a relationship, but more of a hook up style thing. At leas that is what I would assume. I’m all for meeting up asap but after 3 messages is a bit ridiculous! Was he really good looking? He might be used to getting what he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I couldn't be arsed faffing about. Meeting in person is unpott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

Is there not a danger that you exhaust the conversation before you meet up if you engage in too much chat on the app/whatsapp beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I prefer to meet quickly, but more than three texts is needed. You have to get a bit of a sense of the person and whether you click conversationally. Usually a couple of days in is all that is needed. But that’s not with chatting all day long. Sometimes you get caught up on conversation and you do end up chatting all night and that’s okay too. It’s all about when you know you want to meet. I don’t see why it takes some people weeks to get there but each to their own if they do. I wouldn’t have the patience for that unless somebody had a very good excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭raclle

I can only assume this guy has been on the wrong end of some everlasting chats that end up going nowhere but 3 messages 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

Oh yeah, 3 definitely too few.

Just would be wary myself when I join the apps in a few weeks, that you can end up in these endless conversations that either don't go anywhere, or that end up leading to a date but you know everything about each other so you're in this awkward in-between state of not knowing each other at all, but simultaneously knowing loads about each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭aero2k

I'm very wary of quoting my experience as it consist of the grand total of one person I met online. We matched on a Tue, exchanged a few messages and then she said she wasn't really into messaging and that she preferred to meet in person. That was after less than 48 hrs hrs and maybe 5 messages exchanged each way. We met on the following Sunday with minimal interaction in between apart from exchanging phone numbers.

I couldn't be messaging back and forth every few minutes, and I'd also be wary of too much messaging over a prolonged period before meeting. There's a real danger of building up an image of the other person that is no match to reality, through no fault of either person. But I get that everyone need to feel comfortable before meeting, and that takes different levels of interaction for different people. It could be an age thing for me as well - I find short messages very restrictive if trying to get to know someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Unless the message specified a prolonged time period, or someone better/ easier became available.

Right, but see how he basically fcuked himself there? I don't consider it a loss if that's his attitude, but it's a loss for him because if we got on well I'd have met him.

Time wasting to me is meeting someone after 24 hours when I don't even know if I'm half into them yet. Looks don't mean a single f-uck to me without getting an idea of what the person is like and if we'll click, and I'm pretty good judge of that.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Everyone is different. But meeting that soon without much interaction wouldn't work for me. I don't look for messaging back and forth all day every day. I look to get to know the person a bit and see if there's any inkling of a connection there. Usually, that means moving it to text before I meet them and maybe having a call or exchanging a few audios (more so audios these days). And it's not that I'd get to the giving out numbers stage that fast either, so I'm not wasting anyone's time by chatting to them for ages and then not meeting. If we get to the point of exchanging numbers then we're likely going to meet up.

I don't know why some men get so up their hole about women not rushing into meeting every tom, dick, and harry. Would you not feel your time was wasted if I met you and then said at the end of the evening you're not for me? Or indeed vice versa. Why not bypass that within a few messages by which time I'll already know that and we can move on to the next.

I said for a bit. Which in my head is prob on and off over a week or so. I wouldn't put a time on it, that would just feel weird.

Yeah I thought the hook up thing too, was just using it as an example in case that wasn't the case.

I was attracted to him but not sure he'd be classed as "really good looking" in a generic sense. More my kind of attractive.

I couldn't be arsed faffing about meeting someone I don't know if I'm into or not. But men are different creatures in how they measure attraction.

Na, never happened to me! 9/10 any time I've met someone from online it's either turned into a few months of dating or a relationship. For the very reason that I chat a bit before meeting and don't meet anyone I don't think I'll be into and vice versa. I don't go on tons of dates for that reason either. It's just what works for me. Don't get why so many people are allergic to understanding that everyone is different.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. No way I'd continue the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

But then you won't get to know @gameoverdude 😆 Sometimes people like to meet up soonish enough and others like to wait a bit. So you're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place. I see on womans profiles that they're not interested in endless chatter. Some others then are just looking for followers but i also swipe left on them.

You know there's a trick there. Create a tinder profile and upload all your pictures upside down and when they turn the phone upside down and swipe left to pass on you it'll actually be a right swipe but you'll have to get in quick before they unmatch!! hahaha

So after 3 messages within a few hours, you ask someone out, and they say they'd be open to it but want to chat for a bit, you're out?

Thank god you're married because man... not many women are going to agree to meet you after 3 messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

Same, but I had to move to ordinary level maths cause the higher level teacher was a cnut and I was half thick when it came to maths. Think I got a c2 or something like that which was a miracle for the amount of effort I ended up putting in.

I also do a lot of my own accounting for my business, vat returns etc to take the workload off my accountant who really only does payroll and does annual return. If only that witch of a teacher who annoyed me for a year of higher level could see me now 🤣

I ironically seen two of my past secondary teachers last week walking outside my business. They glanced right on by when I was outside and I'd plenty of time to interrupt and introduce myself but I concluded that I don't really want to talk to them no more than they probably want to talk to me. One was very much down on my entrepreneurial spirit when asking us what we planned to do with our lives in her final class, she praised the ones who were going to college and questioned my life choices in front of the whole class 🤣 I sat there red faced like an eejit feeling like an eejit!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

I’ve been on the apps on and off for over a year. I took a break from dating after a bad break up but I can’t meet anyone! I’m a relatively good looking woman (or so I’ve been told) and in my late 20s. Even when I go out I always get chatting to guys but it just ends at that. I’m getting very tired of my family/friends asking me why I’m still single.

• Advertisement

I defined it in another post, usually chat on and off for a week or so and see how we get on, then arrange to meet up if all goes well. The guy could as easily decide not to meet me during that time, which is also fine. What exactly is so crazy about that?

Advertisement