Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

No. I'm just mentioning Dublin areas as examples because that's what I'm more familiar with. But I'm referring to NIMBYs everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭suvigirl

@Gen.Zhukov

Any links to those numbers? 1500 with no passports?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

If immigrants are working and paying taxes and are not a burden on the state, a controlled increase in the population is not a bad thing. More people means extra services need to be provided, creating more jobs, and increased taxes for the exchequer. Unfortunately, our government haven't managed to provide the facilities or the services needed for the local population let alone for the rapid explosion in numbers arriving here.

Most people don't have a problem with people who come to this country if they want to contribute and integrate. The issue seems to be the lack of public services for the people already here, the ones who stayed in the tough times and didn't run off to greener pastures but built up this country through hard work, high taxes and living through difficult times with the hope that life here would be better in future. Now those people feel that things have not improved for them or their families, taxes are still high, public services are getting worse, waiting lists for GPs, dentists, hospital consultants are getting longer, people that the state should be taking proper care of like our elderly, disabled and carers are constantly pushed to the bottom or their needs are farmed out to charities, schools are still operating from pre-fabs and working people can't find affordable accommodation. The state has failed many of our citizens and more of the same seems to be the way we are heading.

Things were bleak for years after 2008 and we put up with austerity measures, cut-backs and young people leaving due to a lack of jobs. We've been told constantly that there's no money to fix the health service waiting times, to provide sufficient social housing for those that need it, to reduce taxes on workers, lower the cost of 3rd level education or take care of our disable etc etc, but yet suddenly the state can find billions to help recent arrivals. People are annoyed. It's not that they don't want to help people in need but it can't be at the expense of the needs of the existing population. Surely the primary responsibility of any state is to look after the needs of its own citizens, and then offer help and assistance to others.

So maybe control the numbers arriving. Make better used of the visa system, process and vet those who arrive without visas, return failed applicants, ensure the state is not being taken for a ride by those who want to abuse our hospitality. And before anyone pipes up about the lazy locals who get everything handed to them for free, well that is also a system that needs to be tightened up.

Workers are paying throught the nose with very high tax rates and it is galling to see any free-loader - whether home grown or recently arrived - being provided with free/subsidised housing, medical cards and other social benefits, while the people paying for it now, and those who paid in the past, all feel they are being taken for fools. And that doesn't mean they are right wing fascists, or anti-immigration, just tax paying citizens who want their government to treat them better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

No, you're giving an overall figure for those being housed in State-funded accommodation, I was giving the number of asylum seeker applications per month from January to March of this year. Nobody is disputing that last year a record number of asylum seekers arrived in the country, but there has been a significant fall off of the numbers arriving in the first 3 months of this year compared to the same months last year. The figures for April and May haven't been released yet.

• Advertisement

I believe the numbers are being doctored to show a downturn to try quell any decent from the rest of the population,

That doesn't say anything about the arrivals this year......

Yes, I think someone isn't being very honest indeed🤔😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

If you can prove it by all means do so, however I strongly suspect that you won't be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Yeah, I don't care what the "official" numbers are, as the state cannot be trusted. What our eyes can see is far mor relevant than what the Irish state says. When City West hotel was officially solely a covid testing centre, it was also being used for "refugees", I knew that because I lived around the corner and saw it with my own eyes. Yet If I dared say something like that here at the time I'm sure I would have been called a "conspiracy theorist".

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's a disgrace in fairness, they really need to take action about that, I had no idea the numbers were so high.

Thats a pisstake

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Haha.

I don't agree with all of what you say, but I love the way you say it GZ! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

One does one's best in very trying circumstances...

I'm here all week

• Registered Users Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Those 'passports' may have been fake ones though. Many asylum seekers don't even possess a passport, so the thing they were ripping up might not even have been a genuine document.

Where? Here on the thread .. Or Ireland?

But remember they spent tens of thousands getting here with no paper work and refusing to say where they actually came from so they can't ever be deported,

1500 deportations in the last 20 + year's like you would have a better chance of winning the lottery than you have a chance of getting deported from here

I don't think there have been that many deportations in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But ripping up a fake passport does not necessarily mean they are not a genuine refugee - international refugee law says absolutely nothing about a refugee needing to have valid ID on them when they claim asylum.

Such a person might or might not be a genuine refugee....the ripping up of a document (that could easily be a fake) doesn't really prove anything, one way or the other.

But it makes it impossible to identify that person or prove where they are from ,

Your talking about forced deportations. An extremely costly and last resort.

Most deportation orders are acted in and don't require forced deportations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Pat Kenny asked Paschal Donohoe this morning why the govmt response on immigration is always to just mention our international obligations and ethics. Paschal responded that we have international obligations and "shared humanity". When Pat challenged him that this was that very same mantra, Paschal just repeated it again, LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Genuine people do not rip up genuine travel documents.

Bogus asylum-seekers with something to hide, they may have a reason to destroy travel documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

I heard that.

It was quite extraordinary really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Have you links to people sourcing fake passports?

Have you links to reports of asylum seekers not possessing a passport and why?

If they are fleeing and get into a safe country with a fake passport why aren't they seeking refuge?

Why are they getting on another plane to a small country and ripping up the passport on the way?

If they are genuine then why would they rip it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭mikethecop

destroying your documents real or fake s an act of deception , one of the reasons to refuse asylum and or deport. and is the resion 3 or 4 people a day are refused "permission to land" at the airports and ports

it is hiding the truth and destroying documentary evidence , it is a criminal act and grounds for refusal and deportation

if you appear in arrivals at Dublin airport without a passport you are by definition guilty of deception and should be put back on a plane to the country of origin. what we lack is the the will to do this and the resource's to accomplish it.

not doing this makes having immigration laws and organization pointless an just a money making scam for immigration solicitors and NGOs

Those links have been posted numerous times on the thread.

In fact I posted them previously... for you I am sure.

Do you never read anything that is posted ?

Just rant and rave at a poster trying to give you a polite answer., 🙄

Go look up the Irish Refugee Council faqs.

It answers all those questions because you are sure not listening to anything being said here so it's a pointless waste of time posting the links for you. Again!

I think if you are a ' cop' you know why peope end up with no passports, and that it is not ALL fakery.

Some have their documents given and taken from them by traffickers or are told that if they are caught with them bad things will happen to them or their families left behind.

Others cannot get access to the documents they need in their country.

It wasn't so long ago that people in Ireland could only get an urgent passport after queueing for days in Molesworth St.

Try doing that with no access to a birth cert even because the local warlord has guys with machine guns policing the registration office. And your face doesn't fit for whatever reason.

And you can:t diss NGOs or lawyers for working within a broken system. They are doing their jobs and their best like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I checked my notifications and I don't see you ever responding to me with those links.

Feel free to quote the post it should be very easy for you to find and quote.

If you sent them and I overlooked them then fair enough.

If you didn't send them then maybe you can issue an apology for being so rude.

It might be wise to remember to attack the post and not the poster in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

One of the wealthiest countries in the world apparently, 3 billion allocated looking after Ukrainians alone but unlucky if you happen to be Irish and looking for grants.

The Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage provides funding to local authorities under the Housing Adaptation Grants for Older People and People with a Disability, to assist people in private houses to make their accommodation more suitable for their needs.

Munster said there were 610 applicants on the Louth waiting list alone – one being a woman in her 50s who had a leg amputated recently and was discharged from hospital.

“Her family members contacted the local authority, as such a life-altering situation requires her house to be adapted. That family, and every family since, has been told to reapply next January,” she said. 

“The Department is preventing people from getting adaptations to their homes that they desperately need. The lack of funding is preventing people from living independently in their own homes,” said Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

Im glad to see the fight back happening and 0 Refugee policy as we only have to look next door to see the damage it has done.

You have people purposely travelling all the way across Europe to seek refugee status here because they know they ll have a cushy lifestyle here with the least amount of effort.

Im glad the "Do gooders" are being drowned out and the political correct wagon being firmly pushed aside for real on the ground action its honestly what's needed you cant give houses to refugees for nothing while the country is on its knees in terms of housing for its own legitimate citizens.

I dont feel sorry for them as they are deliberately taking advantage of the system here and should be treated in accordance without guilt.

The Gov has to be seriously held accountable for this goodie two shoes policies that's leaving our country wide open for exploitation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement