Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gallagher Premiership 2022-2023 Season

Comments

It's interesting that for years there were talks of teams going the other way - the British and Irish cup but clearly controlled by the Premiership teams.

At this point it could well make more sense for the viable prem teams to join the URC.

Creates a bunch of problems though, it then becomes some kind of super league and there would have to be either pools or a two division competition neither of which are ideal.

Even if Wales drop a team, were still talking about 20+ teams in the above scenario.

Premiership rugby is going to have to do something though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PMC83

Wheres the club world cup at the moment? That idea is seeming less realistic by the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

it would be tricky for sure. You'd probably have to go further into the conference style, or do a straight league with home or away, alternating every other year. Would the RFU welcome an opportunity to move to system that would give them greater control over the club game?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's no scope for it now. Before the SA teams, if Wales had killed off two sides and Italy one maybe, maybe it could have had some sort of chance but that ship has sailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I genuinely think a two-tier league between all of the non-French clubs is actually the most logical and sustainable way forward. But no club or union wants to be in the second division so it'll never happen.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I think URC and Premiership will merge as the latter is financially unsustainable at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

3 professional teams gone in a few months. Platitudes issued by the PRL and the RFU. Whilst Rome burns etc.

Utterly inept organisations.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Time to bring Ealing and Jersey up into the premiership then. To hell with their capacity rules which are laughable anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RAKM

Wonder where Paddy Jackson will go?

I think the biggest barrier to that would be the IRFU not wanting to be hamstrung by a financial cap for the Provinces. A closed shop is a better approach for long term financial sustainability imo, promotion and relegation are archaic concepts nowadays, that feed into the cycle of overspending.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They're government rules though, nothing to do with the PRL, RFU etc. Since Hillsborough, any sports team in the top division has to have 10,001 seats even if they'll never fill them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Yes they have plans to ringfence premiership. Until the next club folds!

The harsh financial reality facing the Premiership, the Championship and the RFU

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jun/06/london-irishs-demise-should-terrify-those-in-rugbys-corridors-of-power

....Worcester’s problem was their co-owners; Wasps’ what can be described, with hindsight, as a ludicrous bond scheme. What will terrify those in the corridors of power in regards to Irish’s downfall is that it was due to a benefactor who had supported the club for the last decade but either could not or would not continue to do so."

If the first draft of the next Professional Game Agreement does not spell out instructions as to how clubs must address their debt – exacerbated by Covid recovery loans – and that their central funding is conditional on it, then it should be ripped up and thrown in the bin. That the government has stepped in by appointing two independent advisers to assist with the restructuring of the domestic game only reiterates the gravity of the problem.

It could be worse. They aren't in as big a mess as the FAI!

Post edited by ionadnapokot on

i think youre coming at that backwards. The Sports ground safety act (SGSA) only has responsibility for football grounds. it provides advice to rugby through the RFU, and the criteria for capacity is purely a RFU set criterium.

that said, any stadium designed to have a capacity over 10,000 must obtain a safety certificate from the local authority in order to prove that the stadium can safety allow for the occupation of such numbers. it takes into account numbers of exits, sizes of exits, capacity of certain areas, sizes of routes etc.

plus, its not just seats, it allows for terracing as well.

very good explainer here:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Daily Mail, pinch of salt, usual disclaimers apply, etc, etc, but claiming that BT Sport (soon to be renamed TNT Sports) are looking for compensation for the reduced number of rounds next season.

Also a claim in that article that there is little interest in the rights other than BT/TNT which is hard to reconcile with other recent stories that CVC are looking to ship a combined PRL/URC/EPCR package in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

But BT didn't even show all the games in a round before, so what's their problem?

The remaining clubs are in varying levels of health but are any others at risk of hitting the wall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Of course.

You lose rounds = you lose gates = you lose supporter interest = you lose basic competitiveness = the premiership and the pro game in England enter an existential crisis.

Every team in the Prem must now be sh1tting it. I mean it's not like Sarries and Tigers and Bath and others haven't had some major crises in recent years and they properly cannot afford another shock.

In Breaking News I see some outlets are reporting IRFU - RFU discussions going on with a view to a rescue package.

Honestly I'd have mixed feelings about that one right now. In the past I'd have been all for a full fifth province in The Exiles, but I think it's up to the powers that be in RFU and PR now to show they can plan for a sustainable model before IRFU go investing still scarce money overseas, especially with the state of our women's game here.

If IRFU could facilitate an Irish consortium of some sort to invest, with Ireland rugby feeder access and other formal beneficial links established, that would be much better.

There's literally NOTHING that would act as a pro for the IRFU to invest in London Irish from a business point of view.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Less rounds, rather than number of games per round, apparently. Or there may not be a problem at all; it’s the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Yeah, I suppose. Didn't think of that.

Maybe some sort of system where teams play some opposition 3 times instead of 2 would get BT off their backs for now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

A poster on Twitter who is good with this sort of legal stuff (he's in the trade himself) said Leicester's accounts aren't looking too healthy. The sugar daddy model is coming home to roost now for the RFU. Sad times for some clubs with great history and supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

English rugby is in dire straits. There's not much more that can fall off the wagon? Is there?

Best league, me hole! I doubt the government will give them a handout. They'll barely have a pro league.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Tigers owners recently pumped a pile of cash in (£13m) to stave off administration

Newcastle are rumoured to be in a bit of bother.

Got to imagine Bristol would vanish if the owner got fed up of them being crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

'IRFU rumoured to be helping a PRL club.'?

Has anyone checked on Steve Jones' health? His head must be fit to explode.

It's always good to talk. Esp to the insane

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2023/06/07/ireland-in-talks-over-shock-plan-to-buy-london-irish/

It is understood that the discussions have been limited to preliminary soundings, given the strong bond and relationship between the two unions and the complexities involved if the IRFU was to consider some involvement in what would be a phoenix club after London Irish on Tuesday was forced to file for administration.

Both unions confirmed that talks had taken place, although for now it remains at a hypothetical stage, with the IRFU, in a statement to Telegraph Sport, diplomatically saying it had “no plans currently to invest in rugby outside of Ireland.”

The RFU must be eating their toenails!!

I love this line in the comments

"Professional Rugby Union in England suffers from having Champagne feelings of entitlement and Brown Ale income"

I like "All Fur Coat and No Knickers"

You'd have thought Tigers would have enjoyed a bit of a payout from the RFU for taking their coaching ticket.

Going to be an interesting few months.

They're also feeling the impact of the CVC deal. Where they get 27% of the revenue that PRL brings in. A perfect storm of timing with COVID has really ruined them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Statement seems to contradict itself. If the IRFU have no plans to invest in rugby outside Ireland. What did they confirm having talks about?

Advertisement