Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,902 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Annoying yes.

But worse IMHO is non-ASCII characters in usernames. Makes them either illegible or impossible/very difficult to '@' them. Also you can have zillions of variations of a name like that which look the same but are actually different, handy if re-regging hundreds of times is your thing

P.S. Your profile is private, wasn't that supposed to have been done away with?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I didn't make it private. Never really did anything with it except set up the notifications at the beginning of the change over.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,902 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

OK. Mike said there was some sort of issue recently where some profiles got made private again.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

DESTOP SPEED HAS GOT REALLY BAD AGAIN.

Noticeable lag on almost everything.

Worst current offender is the notifications drop down (up to 5 seconds wait each time). In fact anything to do with notifications is dial up dog slow.

TOTALLY PATHETIC!

Pop up notifications are another. FFS they are so slow that I closed a couple of pages thinking the pop up links were not working. A redirect URL opened up and sat looking at me so I closed it. Next one I waited for a few seconds and then the URL changed to the URL of the post.

And its not my internet connection speed

Looks like we are now on Board.ie platform - Version 0.9?

If you have moved to really cheap hosting or are making changes that affect speed it would be nice to be told in advance.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The speed has been really bad on both mobile and desktop for a few days now.

And there's glitches all over the shop.

Feels like the site is finally just slowly falling apart.

And no response from anyone to the many reports.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Mike is away but apologies for late reply. We have a call with Vanilla now and one of the discussion points is site speed. I will talk to Mike when he is back and we will update on the other issues reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,494 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The ads seem to be larger especially when on the mobile, taking up half page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

Came here to post the same about the ads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

3 times trying to post in this thread and the adds are terrible. Each time half the page is an advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Now we have half page *video* ads on mobile that keep resizing every few seconds. Even if you minimise you still see them playing and after a few seconds pop back up with another video.

Its very **** annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

The ads almost taking up half a page are nearly making the site unusable. Please sort it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Been using Brave browser on Android. So much quicker and no ads.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ditto with Firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

AdGuard if on android. No ads at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Using Safari on iOS and don’t see any ads at all. I’ve no idea how anyone could put up with using the site with ads like the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Will you ever reintroduce the Profile/Notifications feature which allows a user to select "One email notification until you next visit the discussion." To say that this is THE most basic feature on ALL website forums is a gross understatement. Even worse, I have unbookmarked a discussion I've been following. It no longer appears in my list of followed Discussions, but I'm still receiving emails (loads of them!) from it. This is basic stuff, really basic.

D.

Amen to all that. You couldn't make it up. Up to the big redesign a couple of years back, all of what you state was possible - and is possible on the most basic website forums. Whoever has been let at Boards.ie isn't up to the job.

I'm receiving 10-15 emails a day from this thread, instead of being able to choose "one email until I next visit the discussion" and there seems to be no way to stop it. Pathetic. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120682089#Comment_120682089

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

As far as I can tell there is no way to see who "liked" a post, and no way to delete a post made in error (on mobile) since the downgrade.

I would consider those even more basic functions of a message/discussion forum tbh.

Seriously? I would have thought that limiting the number of emails you receive from a discussion to one to be beyond basic. Ditto, being able to fully unsubscribe from a discussion. Neither is possible, as far as I can see. Terrible.

As for not being able to see who liked a thread, I presume you mean that you can no longer see who has clicked “Thanks”? Agreed. But, to say it’s more important than being able to have control over your email inbox is beyond me.

In a few downgrades, Boards has for reasons best known to itself gone from doing the basics (which all other forums I use can do) to being unusable.

D

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Hi there,

You can adjust your notification preferences on your profile page. Click into notifications bell, then then menu tab on the top right of the dropdown. This will bring you to your notification preferences page. You can then select how you wish to receive notifications, by email or pop-up.

Thanks, Mike.

• Advertisement

Just to add to the previous post. This process applies to both desktop and mobile. However some mobile devices do not show the entire screen so you may have to swipe over to view the option boxes, "email" or "pop-up".

Mike,

Many thanks for the reply. But, unless I'm mistaken, what you're telling me is how I can choose to receive notifications, not how I can opt out of notifications for a given thread/discussion.

I have removed the bookmark from this discussion. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120685223#Comment_120685223 and it no longer appears in my My Threads page. Yet, I'm still receiving the daily deluge of one email for every response to it. Is this a bug in the Boards.ie system, or am I not de-selecting it correctly?

And, the simple feature of being able to restrict email notifications to ONE email between visits to a thread should be restored.

Thanks again.

D.

I see. This was also happening to me on a thread recently. I raised this issue with Vanilla and they have informed me that they are working on a fix for this. There is a new release of Vanilla updates due in the coming weeks. I haven't got confirmation, as of yet, whether or not this fix will be included in this update. I will follow up with them today and see if I can gather any more information.

Thanks.

Site use to be bullet-proof with all the obvious bulletin board features.

Would be nice to see it returned to that.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

On this page: https://www.boards.ie/profile/preferences/ do you have the options "Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in" or "Notify me when people comment on my discussions" enabled?

Bookmarks and notifications are not as tightly connected in Vanilla as they were in vBulletin. You can get notifications for discussions you haven't bookmarked, and vice versa. You can a similar setup to vBulletin by unchecking every option except "Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions".

The single email per visit is a much better setup, but I'm not sure it's possible in Vanilla

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Yes, I have both of those enabled. And, if I disable them, won't emails from other discussions that I would like to keep updated on cease to arrive in my Inbox too?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Use the option from the second paragraph - disable all options except "Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions", and then bookmark the discussions you want notifications for

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Never going to happen unfortunately.

We're stuck with Vanilla and their product road map and timetable I'm afraid. It's cheaper.

• Advertisement

Pity.

The bookmarking system works in so far as it allows me to stop receiving a deluge of emails from active threads. But, it means I have to go looking for the thread if I want to see what's happened since I was last there. The "one email since last visit" is a universal standard and it's poor form by Boards that their new system doesn't allow it.

D.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement