Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

True! That Facebook page always sticking up warnings about checkpoints and speed vans, actively helping those who have something to hide avoid being caught..

Not to mention the fact that if you're not speeding and your car is Taxed/Insured/NCT/Drivers licence then there's no issue with checkpoints! And I think we all want those without the aforementioned put off the road....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

We Irish have a very weird lack of emotional maturity when it comes to our attitudes towards rules and authority.

When you hear grown adults talking about "snitches" and "grasses" in relation to crimes like speeding/phone driving/drink driving etc it's like the mentality never grew outside of the school classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Paddigol

But God forbid a cyclist should roll through a red light or hop onto the footbath to skip traffic. Not excusing it, but I'd say the people who get most enraged by that are the same people you describe. Speeding = grand, shur everyone does it. Orange light = signal to floor the accelerator. Cyclist rolling through a red = how bloody dare they break the rules!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Yeah its the raging hypocracy that gets me.

I can stand outside my house and watch the 30kph street on the other side of the green. I would say on average 8 or 9 out of 10 cars are above the 30kph limit, 4-5 are doing 50-60kph and 2-3 are 60kph or over. I know well what 30kph looks like on that road because i watch Mrs D doing it leaving for work every morning.

The hyprocisy permeates through the media too - Pat Kenny is an raging hypocrite when it comes to this stuff. He'll bang on at length about "we ALL know cyclists break the lights" , the then comes out with the following which are actual quotes of his when discussing situations where drivers are rule breaking :

"...and the taxis, who are JUST trying to get people home" (context: guards catching taxis speeding at 80kph+ down the quays in Dublin)

"...but sure doesn't that just show how ridiculous the limit is" (context: discussing people disregarding the 30kph speed limit in Pheonix Park AFAIR)

It turns my stomach honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Targeted enforcement is badly needed. The vast majority of speed enforcement that I see appears to be outside of urban areas, on MWs or on inter-urban roads. It's far too rare that I encounter the same in urban areas (despite doing far more of my road travel in urban areas than outside of them).

Focus on speeding and other dangerous road offences in areas where they have greater potential to impact on other road users. Call me callous about it - but the speeding driver doing 150 on the MW is more likely to harm themselves than anyone else, whereas someone doing 60 in a 30, or 80 in a 50, is much more likely to do damage to another road user (and usually not another driver).

I'm not advocating for abandoning enforement on MWs, or national roads, just putting a bigger emphasis on urban areas.

I much rather seeing the speed van in the regular spot on Upper Baggot St, or on the Quays than seeing one on the M9, or on the Mullingar bypass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Can we bring this in with a rake of cameras nationally, would do wonders!

This lad has been caught 3 times in the last decade and paid a stupidity tax of combined 250k euro!

AA Ireland did a Top Gear type experiment with a "race" between a motorbike, an e-bike, a runner a walker and a electric car. The journey was from the AA offices to Whitehall Church, approx 6km

Interesting results

I'm familiar with both Lauren and Feljin in their advocacy efforts for their respective transport options.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a long enough video, so worth summarising the results!

motorbike: 19m30s

e-bike: 20m30s

runner: 29m

bus: 34m

car: 45m (and the driver stated he thought the traffic was very light)

walking: 55m.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

worth commenting that that was for a journey which started right in the very heart of the city, which would clearly favour bikes and people on foot.

but even crossing the city (without needing to go near the pedestrianised sections right at the centre); at the moment, to get from the old whitehall garda station (junction of griffith avenue and the swords road) to the entrance of the donnybrook bus depot, google maps is showing 30 minutes on a bike and 36 minutes in a car. and traffic is probably reasonably light, which would favour the car. plus, a fit cyclist would be able to do that faster (though you might add time to shower at the end!), and a fast motorist wouldn't have much luck shortening that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Google maps tends to predict a slower cyclist in regards time predictions rather than personalise them, it is the only mode of transport that Google Maps is way off the mark in regards predictions for me. I'd put that cycle at 20minutes, following all the rules of the road.

• Advertisement

i was averaging 10km roughly every 25 minutes when i was commuting - but probably on more open roads than you'd get doing whitehall to donnybrook (i was on griffith avenue, strand road, rock road); i'd say whitehall to donnybrook would have a lot more controlled junctions per km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Whitehall church, I hope they ran it by Ronnie

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I find it decent enough tbh. Anywhere close to the city centre, getting stuck at traffic lights is the major determinant of journey time, rather than max pedalling speed.

I tend to knock off a third off the predicted time - even last week spinning into Fitzwilliam Sq from Marlay Park - GM predicted 35 mins, took me 20 mins on the button. That's including stopping at every bloody red light like a pleb as 2 or 3 of the commuters I passed roll on through just before the lights turn green again!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,700 ✭✭✭✭zell12

i put my old commute in - 19.5km, google estimates 1h12m to cycle. i used to do it in ~50m.

Nothing but problems in Galway city, there's a big call for a motorway around the city and more roads off that, very little interest in Bus priority and even less interest in cycle lanes.. Should be called "Gal "motor" Way" instead.. nitemare of a place:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I used to be that guy on the bike up in Parkmore cycling home in the car traffic mess that is Parkmore up to early 2020. This section was always the worst leg of the commute from Rahoon when on the bike.

Any updates I wonder when they will do the Bus and Cycling works up there, might entice be back to the office if they do.

A lot of talk is all that's going on, a battle between the Minister for Transport and local councillors over the proposed Ring Road...

But, Galway's issues don't stop at the City, the road out of Galway is particularly lethal, I feel sorry for any tourists to come to Galway and want to cycle out along the coast: https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/listen-meeting-hears-even-hardened-cyclists-afraid-of-r336-in-connemara/

• Advertisement

That's close to unfixable.

We saw in Dublin how the Local authority ran into Mannix Flynn fronted legal challenges just trying to build cycle lanes on their OWN road.

Now imagine the ball ache trying to CPO land along below for example, and try to build quality cycling infrastructure, at junctions entrances etc.

A generation of ribbon development has led to "Europe's longest street" is making this a close to unsolvable problem given our current legislative/legal structure for such projects.

R336

https://maps.app.goo.gl/cnTTcd8ToGeuHowF8

• Registered Users Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Busconnects will be the real measure of whether the government/councils will ever be able to proceed with infrastructure projects that require CPOing land, the malahide road plan has CPOs for a load of front gardens.

If they can push those through and set a legal precedent for it, it’ll mean there’ll be less chance of legal challenges like the Strand Road one

Where's his HiViz? WHERE'S HIS HI-VIZ?!?!? I CAN'T SEE HIM AND AM OUTRAGED!!!

There is no need to set a legal precedent; local authorities have the power to CPO for road use, it's just agonisingly slow and expensive if private land owners dig in.

What's a certainty is that the CPO cottage industry is in for a boost.

It's an area in need of pretty radical reform of the law in other to push projects through for the greater good; although I'm far from hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Lauren made the point on Twitter that she should really have won because the times didn't include the 5 minutes the motorcyclist took to put his gear on. As one of the responses said, the clock should have started from desks inside the AA offices. Having said that, the video also showed her going through red lights, albeit at the T junction in Drumcondra.

did she include time taken to pack panniers, etc.? very easy to forget to include little things because they're so routine

one thing i often neglected to include in calculations on the commute i used to do is that i'd shower at each end; rather than once a day typically.

It's hardly surprising that a Motorbike is the fastest way to commute as Motorbikers and the speed limits are complete strangers....

You can be guaranteed that if the speed limit is 30 they are doing 50kph+ and when the speed limit is 50 they are doing 80kph+ and so on... Plus using Bus lanes and cycle lanes to skip ahead of traffic.. and zero law enforcement by Gardai...

https://www.newstalk.com/news/motorbike-is-the-fastest-way-to-commute-in-dublin-study-finds-1472245

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭cletus

I think they went out of their way to say that he had followed all rules, stayed out if bus lanes etc

• Advertisement

yet if someone said the same about cyclists in the same manner, you'd be crying foul.

Advertisement