Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

The dam was blown by Ukrainians

Oh wait there be a conclusive piece of evidence deliberately delayed as the evil Kerminal denials get more like its a John deere not a leopard 2.

This war crime goes all the way to putler who needs to be helfired like many Isis leaders before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Looks like Prigozhin was right about Ukraine making an advance in Berkhivka.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

You made a stupid comment yesterday about me yesterday which i ignored. I have no "previous accounts" on this particular site, if you continue to make such accusations at the very least have the intelligence to back it up with evidence or pipe down.

In regards American intelligence, they are as right often as they are wrong. Perhaps you would remember to review their history before directing posters to read the thread from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I heard earlier that the russians may have blown more of the dam than they intended ,

for sure the flood swamped ukrainian positions on the the island in the river , which were largely in ukrainian hands at this stage, but it also swamped the russian positions on slightly higher ground ..

And it seems the russians didnt try to pull back from the flood till much later,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Oh there most certainly would be a swift response that would put the Moscow dwarf in a box 6 ft under but the question remains is he unhinged enough to do it if defeat is inevitable.

• Advertisement

Indeed rumours flying around this morning that Russia had only intended to create a small breach in the dam, which is apparently what the initial blast did. This would have been sufficient to hinder Ukraine from crossing the Dnipro south of the dam and likely destroyed the tactical bridgeheads Ukraine had established on the aits near Kherson. The slower release of water would have meant the river remained impassable for a much longer period.

In keeping with the general incompetence of the Russian army though the sheer weight and force of the water made the breach much larger and as a result has also destroyed or damaged much of the first line of Russian defences on the west bank of the Dnipro.

Looking at the media photos the Ukraine army seem to be predictably taking a lead on the evacuation of civilians caused by the floods. As well as the logistics of crossing a flooded plain that commitment of troops surely stops any prospect of an attack from the Kherson region for at least a couple of weeks. As it seemed like the Ukrainian counter-offensive was still in the probing phase then I guess they may just put the brakes on the whole thing until that area has settled again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

I presume the floods will recede when the river drains, but there's a lot of water in that river.

Post edited by zv2 on

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

I don't know if it will, this seems like the natural plain for the river to run into and given the amount of water it'll be a long time before any kind of recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

Bit of a encirclement starting there, would be a big propaganda win for Ukraine if it was to retake Bakhmut.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That will take long than this year though. If much of the marshes flooded now were still wet in 20 years, hardly be surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I now see why Prigozhin was keen to leave Bakhmut, he knew well the city would not be held for long. He can crow that his forces took it,but the bungling Russian Army lost it. I think the defense minister would love to have him killed at this stage. Either he has the secret backing of Putin or he is too well protected to kill. I am leaning towards the latter now. It maybe Prigozhin has his eyes on the top job after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Some of the comments on reddit threads believe that the dam was a mistake by the Russians.

They meant to blow a much smaller hole to flood the river to prevent UAF crossings, but obviously with their H1 level incompetent behaviour, they blasted the whole thing and it's also destroying some of their positions.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

huge environmental disaster

Majority of aquatic life in the reservoir will die as levels drop

That makes the most sense to me. I don't see why the Ukranians would have done it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm under this impression as well, there was a twitter thread posted here yesterday going over the timeline and the flipflopping from the Russians about what happened looks like they wanted to flood the islands to stave of Ukranians but as a result caused the failure of the dam. I wonder if that was the purpose of raising the water levels, to then have a short but large release causing a temporary flood but instead they just compromised it and it collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭jmreire

Golda Meir :- " You can't make deals with people who are trying to kill you." Has never been more true that when these people are from the Kremlin. You can't trust them ever over anything. The only deal that will work with Russia is when they are kicked out of all of Ukraine,their military is s broken force, and economically they are crippled. Then Ukraine will not ask them for terms, they will dictate them, and have the military muscle to back them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'd be inclined to trust US intelligence a damn sight more than Russian intelligence any day or any time. Come to think of it, I'd be inclined to trust any other Country's intelligence before Russian ( and hats saying a lot!! )

This is not a recent phenomenon, if you recall back at the time of Chernobyl they were telling egregious and outrageous lies too, but due to Gorbachev being held in good stead in Western countries it was overlooked. Is it due to a quirk of the Russian psyche or just the way authoritan regimes tend to be. I suspect its the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

If you control the sources of information i.e. no free press, then you can pump out pure fiction and it will be effective.

This is why Trump was always so fixated on the 'fake news media'.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Mildly on topic, apologies to those not interested. I got an email today that some here may be interested in engaging with:

I am pleased to inform you that UCC is hosting part of the Government’s Consultative Forum on International Security Policy. The Forum was established in the wake of the Ukraine war and is designed to build public understanding and generate discussions on Ireland’s foreign, security, and defence policies. UCC will host the first day of the Forum on Thursday 22nd June, 9.00-5.15. The other days of the Forum will take place Friday 23rd June at the University of Galway and Monday 26th and Tuesday 27th June at Dublin Castle.

The Government is keen to encourage public engagement with the Forum and that may include attending in-person, watching the discussions via live-stream and/or making a submission to the consultation process which is part of the Forum. Full details are available on the Forum website: https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/e2a6b-consultative-forum-on-international-security-policy/ 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I can't see it.

Given that Zelensky has been publicly talking up the offensive here for the last few days it seems highly likely that this is an attempt to draw Russian forces in from elsewhere on the front.

Sure and everyone sane would agree with that statement but it doesn't mean that US intel is always accurate or truthful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm assuming there are 2 or 3 probable directions for an attack , so all this hints and misdirection is just stirring the pot - trying to get the russians to commit to a point of defence , if they commit to defend bahkmut then the ukrainian assault will occur elsewhere - if the russians dont reinforce bahkmut well donbass gets a visit from ukrainian armour ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

Part of the Russian propaganda narrative is that you cannot trust anyone, because that helps keep the population down and the kleptocracy in power.

You can trust a country with a free press and democratic over sight far more than a dictatorship.

Always remember The US and western systems are democratic unlike Russia, they are not equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

The Russians say the Ukrainians blew the dam.

Yet the Russians were in charge of the Dam with men stationed there.

Si how if the Ukrainians some blew it up, then how come there NO Russian casualties.

More fake news from the Russians

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭coolbeans

It's more than just being crap though. Lying and deceit is just part of the Russian mindset. The below article helps to enlighten I found summing it all up with...

"You know I’m lying, and I know that you know, and you know that I know that you know, but I go ahead with a straight face, and you nod seriously and take notes."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/ukraine-war-vranyo-russian-for-when-you-lie-and-everyone-knows-it-but-you-dont-care-181100

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Enlightening thread about the impact this is going to have on the agricultural lands that were fed from the reservoir water

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭rogber

Yes, it's an ecological crime as well as a war crime. It's no coincidence that macho dictators tend to have contempt for the environment along with everything else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

14 year old girl committed suicide after getting gang raped by Russian soldiers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement