Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Schools are crying out for teachers emigrating - never mind companies. Pretty obvious why . . . Paddy wants ps workers as cheap as they can get them and if they leave then replace them with immigrants from other countries. If there are still shortages then. . . meh. That's FF/FG/GP policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

On a 100k AUD salary, you would have net of 75k. So 25% tax. Figures from moneysmart.gov.au

Based on a FX rate of 1.6 that would be 62.5k Euro.

A single person here would pay 18k tax on that, just under 29%. Figures from PwC Ireland tax calculator.

Not a huge difference.

At the last election FG received their worst % share of first preference votes since 1948, 72 years previous from the 2020 election. They finished third in terms of seats & votes. They're only in office to keep SF out. . . . and they can only keep up that fraud for so long.

After the next election I suspect a SF/FF government with FG out of business for a generation or more - many of their own TDs are already jumping ship and announcing they are not standing in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

I agree. But anyone on a decent income here, minimum of 100k , gets fleeced !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

problem is we spend more per capita on those public services than those other countries. so question is wheres the money going ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@Sunny Disposition

The Irish economy is still booming, but people are very, very discontent.

The cost of living is ridiculous however, and people need to get off of this simplistic idea that the economy is everything. A country is not just an economy and we're not all just consumers. There's much more to a fully functioning society than that.

Plus, the prices of things need to be far more regulated than they are currently. In the past year the cost of items, ranging from the price of the pint to furniture, to whatever you're having yourself have rocketed and it was all blamed on the price of petrol going up. But petrol has come down in recent months to the lowest it's been since September last year. Yet, the prices of most goods have remained at their high level.

And this is a problem that's never tackled on a political level. When prices of most things go up, they stay up and that's why there's a lot of discontent in the country. Couple that with the extreme difficulty that our younger generations have in even hoping to put a home in their future, and it's hardly surprising that there's a lack of content.

We're blowing our future, and our political classes couldn't give a fuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭hynesie08

20% of 40k - 8k

40% of remaining - 24k

32k income tax

160k Australiain dollars

29,467 flat rate

37% of 40k - 14,800

44,267 income tax

27,632 at today's rates.

4 1/2 grand difference, 3 1/2 you get back in credits if you're married.

But it's only fleecing in Ireland right......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭growleaves

I wonder how much of it is waffle?

I interviewed for a job recently and they mentioned they were interviewing 20 other people - that was for just one position.

Friend in internal recruitment for another company told me they received approx 100 qualified applicants for each position last year.

There are definitely niche shortages in parts of the economy, but in my admittedly limited personal experience its not spread out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

The Blueshirts arent out for the count yet, according to Paschal.

The Government will be re-elected with a bigger majority at the next general election, Paschal Donohoe has predicted.

• Advertisement

Donohoe couldn't even reach the quota in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭monseiur

I have never been to Australia but contacts there tell me that it's financially viable to move there only if you plan to stay for a very long period or permanently. One major issue is the currency exchange rate. I understand 100K Aus dollars is worth something like 63K Euros Some lads manage to accumulate some savings by working long hours in the mines, some for 14 days on the trot then 3 or 4 days off. Working 9 to 5 in say an office for a year or two is just a life experience without any real savings when travel expenses, accommodation etc. is taken into account. But Australia is a huge country with lots to offer and there's more to life that the balance in the bank account 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

I'd come back to IE if I could:

-have a similar paid job

-be able to get a house without having to rent for years or get a 6%+ ex-pat mortgage

-have the same development opportunities I get in the UK

In the tech world, Ireland is very small and very competitive, if I had of hung around with my HNC in Ireland, I'd have (and did) struggle...

Went to the UK and got a Degree and 10+ years experience, and I'd still be into a fight for some roles in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I know dozens of lads who headed off for Australia, all had a ball, all bar one came home within 3 years (he's married with 4 kids), it's a fantastic place to go and if you're willing to work every hour God sends you can come home with a decent nest egg. If you want somewhere to swim surf and screw for a year after college then you ain't gonna find better.

But the lad who stayed is mostly happy, but complains about wasted taxes, the cost of living, the price of a pint and the commute because he couldn't afford to buy in Melbourne. Sound familiar?

He has a pool and a horse, I can see my family without it costing thousands of Euros, we'd both prefer the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

The constant mention of a few limited countries such as Australia as the 'options' to see the world are funny. The world is so much bigger, more interesting and diverse than just going somewhere to save a few quid and buy a house. Lifessnoozefesttttt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The article about students is from 2019; I wonder if that study were done today how would Ireland's students do, given 2 years of non-schooling due to Covid. It also mentions Ireland's down the list for high achievers, which are the ones that will bring up University rankings.

Alabama is a notoriously backwards state in terms of pretty much everything in the US. Life expectancy, educational levels, pollution. Kind of a 'butt of jokes' place in the US. It shouldn't be used as a basis of comparison for much of anything. As for third-level funding, perhaps readjustment would be simpler than more money. How many PhD's in literature do we need Unis to offer? How many in Irish Language? There should be a very high bar for entry into one of those programs, including an honest assessment of job prospects for the student with such a degree. Some countries do better at 3rd levels than Ireland, for example in this opinion piece the writer mentions Sweden spending twice as much with about the same level of success for Universities: https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-20421823.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Do you seriously think anyone ,and I mean anyone, gives a rats ass about what way you are going to vote! No amount of money would compensate a politician calling to your door to have his brains bored into oblivion by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

That's my main gripe. Paying 2 grand a month in rent and saving for a deposit. I've no immediate family to bunk with.

The most frustrating thing about Ireland is seeing the potential absolutely squandered by eejits. Still no metro from the airport to the city centre. A job that should be done long ago for the greater good of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Grow the economy whilst not developing infrastructure to match. It's braindead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Some of your comments are reasonable, but I will focus on education spending.

I do not accept that we underspend on education.

You may point to many old school buildings, and I agree, as the emphasis of spending is elsewhere:

(1) we have way too many schools, 3,000+ at primary level, but nobody will change this. As a result, there are 3,000+ principal salaries, elec bills, duplication, higher costs, etc.

The parish of Riverstown in Co. Sligo has four national schools!! A tiny rural village

(2) a typical teacher's pension is 700 per week - is that underfunding?

• Advertisement

I agree with you about rents and house prices, but our fuel taxes are not huge compared to other countries.

They are not low, fair enough, but not the highest.

A fair point. Yes, there are way too many small schools in rural areas, a hangover from pre-car times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,101 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It doesn't seem to be possible to grow our infrastructure in this country to the level required, at least when it comes to housing and transport. The systems are too parochial and NIMBY. The greater good doesn't matter if it upsets the wrong people.

@BlueSkyDreams

What difference do you expect SF to make to the housing issue?

Nobody knows the answer to this and nobody knows what the Shinners can even do to alleviate the problem. But what we DO know is that they are the only ones saying that they'll have a go at tackling the issue and what we also know is that FF and FG won't lift a damn finger to help with this. That's why there's a lot of people, including dyed in the wool FG'ers turning to them. I know several people from FG voting families that are going to give their X to SF in the next election because they're sick of FG sitting on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Yeah true... but where is sligo metro ? Also the people that move back here from Australia, they've usually met a woman, often irish and and she wants to move back for family reasons...

they are the only ones saying that they'll have a go at tackling the issue

Sinn Fein were hardly going to say to voters at the next election that they have no intention of fixing the housing problem.

What matters is workable policy, and of that they are bereft.

I don't know what a typical teacher's pension is per week. I'll tell you this though. It's THEIR money. They have 10%+ of their wage deducted for 30-40 years and my understanding is that actuarial statistics show that most teachers live for only 5 years following retirement. Furthermore they are getting taxed (AGAIN) on receipt of their pension and post 2011 cohort are getting royally screwed by FF/FG as it is estimated they'd have to live to be in their mid 90s to gain from any pension.

FG's policy on housing was outlined by Leo Varadkar when he said "stick with us" to a shower of vulture funds over a Zoom call some years back.

I'd say they still laugh at him every day considering the fleecing they're giving the Irish people.

• Advertisement

There is no real duplication. Principals in small primary schools are teaching principals. They are basically teachers doing extra admin.

Advertisement